PDA

View Full Version : So this is what torque feels like!

AUTiger
09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
YAY!! I finally get to make a real thread in this sub-forum.

I just got home from picking up the car from the swap and I love it.

Let me start from the beginning. Last year I did a k24a1 headswap on my a3. It had an 07si valvetrain and skunk2 stage II cams. That went with my i/prc/rh/e and k-pro. I had some issues in the beginning, but once I got it tuned by Mike @ Elitetuning, it was running great. It put down 180hp and 140tq. Last month I decided I wanted to swap my dcrh and megan midpipe to something a little better. I put on a KRRH and an 06 type-s midpipe til I could piece together a 2.5in exhaust. The goal was 185-190hp on the a3 setup. Well, unfortunately last year I was having some oil pressure issues and when vtec was set where it ultimately wanted it on the dyno, 4.5k the oil pressure issue was non-existent. Three weeks ago I bumped vtec to 4.3k, that's it and added 8% fuel. I was sitting a stop light when I heard a bad noise and thought maybe some bolts on the header came loose. I looked under the car and could tell it was not the header. I drove 2 miles down the road til I could pull over and just as I put on my blinker my tensioner failed, the motor jumped timing, and my intake valves all kissed the pistons.

I found a k24a1 with 47K miles for $750(850 after taxes and core fee) in the same town that my car was towed too. I talked with the mechanic/tuner and decided to have them do the swap since I didn't have the time or lift to do the swap. $2200 later I have a brand new car. That 2200 includes, motor, brakes, cc stage 4 clutch, 4 new tires, and I believe a new idler pulley(the bearings were shot on my old one) and all the labor. They pressure washed the engine bay and cleaned up the new motor. I know for a fact they left the stage 4 clutch off the bill. I may do the right thing and call them tomorrow and offer to pay for it, hoping that in exchange he will tune it at a discount, even though I really want Mike to tune it again, I just feel bad that he gave me a clutch for free.

Now the setup is......

k24a1
injen 3 cai
prc intake manifold
krrh
06 type-s midpipe->stock axelback
CC stage 4 clutch and resurfaced a2 flywheel
K-pro

It really needs a tune, he used the tune from the cammed a3 and added fuel all across the board til the s. term fuel was at 0, but it goes super rich at WOT. It drives beautifully and though I may have lost some power from the old setup, I think tq has gone up considerably. After the clutch is broken in, I will get it tuned. I was going to try the tune that 03Si757 dynoed 179hp and 159 tq that Ba82Ep3 street tuned, but since it runs fine and doesn't knock unless punched briefly or super light throttle I may not bother until I get it tuned professionally. I'll update this thread once it gets broken in and tuning begins. I'll try to put it on the same dyno the a3 was on to see what the trade-off was. But I do feel the torque, I was going up-hill with the a/c on while driving home and in 5th I just had to apply a little pressure and it would accelerate no problem.

eurosteez
09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
congrats dude...sounds like a sweet set-up. i bet a good tune is gonna do wonders.

SUSHI_NE1
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Congrats on the swap and it's nice to see I'm not the only honest person out there. I hope they hook you up for pointing out the error... I WOULD!... ;-)

dkid15
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Isnt there a high octane cal for a bolton k24a4 on the newest version of kmanager?

dkid15
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah you better have wider than 205 tires because you will kill them with a 2.4l motor and that clutch. Ive got the same one and i love it along with my CC 8.8lb flywheel. Congrats also!!!

ep-unit
09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
what sway you using, does the KRRH hit the front sway, im getting the same header but in a 05, also having a k24 swap soon

AUTiger
09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I am using my stock 02 sway. My mechanic didn't say anything about any issues with it. Tomorrow I will drive it up on some ramps and see if it is resting on the sway.

Kerby
09-24-2010, 07:00 AM
welcome to the big block crew!

I'm gonna be honest and say it lasts about 6months. You get use to the torque and are going to want more.
I just picked up a silverado for my beater so I've garaged the ep3. I haven't driven the car in 2 months. i took her for a drive last weekend and did a 2-5 gear pull.... i was like, "hey!! where the torque?"
Needless to say, I'm looking into a turbo.

superchargedk20
09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
welcome to the big block crew!

I'm gonna be honest and say it lasts about 6months. You get use to the torque and are going to want more.
I just picked up a silverado for my beater so I've garaged the ep3. I haven't driven the car in 2 months. i took her for a drive last weekend and did a 2-5 gear pull.... i was like, "hey!! where the torque?"
Needless to say, I'm looking into a turbo.

hahah once u join the big block turbo crew then youll be happy. I never get bored of 306 tq to the wheels

AUTiger
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
well, I didn't even get the chance to be honest with the shop. I was woken up at 8am from the mechanic's wife saying she made a huge mistake and forgot to charge me for the clutch. Which is fine, but I was completely out of it this morning and just told her to use the CC I used yesterday. I was wondering what tune they used, he said he used the calibration I had on the ecu, but he had to adjust the idle and add a lot of fuel. I downloaded it from the ecu, looked it over and all looked fine, the car started and I thought all was well, I went to hit datalog and it said to save the calibration to the ecu first. So I loaded the calibration and the car wouldn't start. FML. So right now it is starting and driving on 03Si757's calibration, but it needs to be tuned. It's super rich when I did a 2k-5k 3rd gear WOT, but when it's in closed loop S. Term fuel is +/- 2%, but usually at 0%. It's just startup that it didn't seem to like, I added some fuel to cranking trim and it sounded like it didn't like it, so I put that back to 0 and it was better. But I just went out and started the car and it cranked up without a hiccup.

AUTiger
09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't ever plan on going turbo. I have thought about it a lot, but have decided that a jrsc + meth is probably the route I will go. I wanted to do nitrous for the track on top of the jrsc, but I never get the chance to make it to the track; therefore I can live with 250-260hp and over 200tq. I have other plans for the car after that, starting with a drop(currently rocking 4x4), type r replica kit, rims, and paint job. However, next year I hope to find a daily driver and then I can start saving for whatever boost route I go, because if I decide to build it for the track then I will skip the paint and lip kit. Hadi went mid 11's with 350hp on an a2 jrsc with nitrous so that is why I may add a 50 shot of nitrous someday.

superchargedk20
09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't ever plan on going turbo. I have thought about it a lot, but have decided that a jrsc + meth is probably the route I will go. I wanted to do nitrous for the track on top of the jrsc, but I never get the chance to make it to the track; therefore I can live with 250-260hp and over 200tq. I have other plans for the car after that, starting with a drop(currently rocking 4x4), type r replica kit, rims, and paint job. However, next year I hope to find a daily driver and then I can start saving for whatever boost route I go, because if I decide to build it for the track then I will skip the paint and lip kit. Hadi went mid 11's with 350hp on an a2 jrsc with nitrous so that is why I may add a 50 shot of nitrous someday.
Ive done both worlds. The money i spent on a JRSC with meth to me just was a waste. I found Turbo to be a cheaper route a more powerful route and definately a more fun route. Its obviously my opinion but if i could go back i wouldve never wasted my time on a JRSC.

ep-unit
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I am using my stock 02 sway. My mechanic didn't say anything about any issues with it. Tomorrow I will drive it up on some ramps and see if it is resting on the sway.

any issues with the KKRH on fitment with the deck height of the k24?

AUTiger
10-01-2010, 03:00 PM
i thought at first that maybe it was hitting the sway, but all that is hitting now is the type-s stock resonator on my heatshield.

ep-unit
10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
what's your rev limit at?

AUTiger
10-07-2010, 08:31 AM
right now 7.2k, but I haven't taken it past 6.6k yet and that 6.6k pull was last night. I only do one WOT pull a day to try and dial in the tune since I am still breaking in the clutch, I have 670miles on it right now. I could definitely use a professional tune, but it's doing pretty good since I have taken bits and pieces from multiple basemaps and tunes from other people to kind of make it my own. However, I know that if I were to lock all the cam angles and tune that way I would have a lot of work to do. Right now I keep it in closed loop and watch my s. term fuel trim and tune off of that and apply different loads throughout the rpm band to see what knocks occur. I still have some eliminating to do in the 3000-3250 region.

Deadphishy
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Very nice. I'm glad to here you are up and running.

sleepy ep3
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Ive done both worlds. The money i spent on a JRSC with meth to me just was a waste. I found Turbo to be a cheaper route a more powerful route and definately a more fun route. Its obviously my opinion but if i could go back i wouldve never wasted my time on a JRSC.

You still need to change your username, lol. Turbo FTW

Tortoise
01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
What is all this talk of knocks people experience in k24s? Doesnt sound good!