PDA

View Full Version : HFP usdm

04EpNewb
09-24-2010, 10:13 AM
hey everyone,

Does honda still sell the HFP suspension for our 04 ep3s? when i search online all i see is for 06 and up models. Is the HFP suspension worth it? 1inch is good for me or do you guys suggest another type of suspesion/coilover

powdbyrice
09-24-2010, 07:27 PM
no more.

no joke, ephatch bought them all. we had a honda dealer on here who alerted us about the suspension and body kit quantities.

hfp suspension is nice. id get progress coilovers if i had to buy suspension now

tsxdriver
09-24-2010, 08:59 PM
are you really from honolulu? and i've been searching everywhere for the HFP suspension too.

vbpracer
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah guys hfp suspension is nice to have, since its oem and cheap, but if you really want some performance go with coilovers. The drop is insignificant to tell you the truth, performance is nothing fancy over stock, could have fooled me lol.

EPSU3
09-25-2010, 12:59 PM
If you want a similar set up I think the next closest thing would be to get the acura a spec kit and use rsx tie rod ends. It ends up being a similar price with the same drop and slightly stiffer spring rates. I love my hfp because its still comfortable enough.

iDom
09-26-2010, 08:59 AM
While looking for nearly a YEAR before buying a suspension set up, I have come across the same questions for various scenarios. But, correct me if i'm wrong..
What are you looking to do with your car?
-For me, it's my daily driver, I live in OH, roads aren't that good, so I need it to not be "slammed". Also, when you lower your car more than an inch, I have read EVERYWHERE that you are sacrificing handling, and to me it's NOT worth it.
What's your price range?
-I've found that most coilovers within the same price range are all the same damn thing, just painted different colors, and for a daily driver that you have no intention of using on the track, coilovers, to me, are just overkill.
Also, I've read NOTHING good about skunk 2, for the record..

A-Spec kit is 650 dollars shipped, and 2 RSX tie rods are 80 dollars for the pair. For a daily driver with a handling upgrade, from which I hear is quite nice, I would go with the A-Spec set up like previously mentioned.

Passenger
09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
When its lowered lower than an inch, its true it affects handling but its not like you're not going to be able to DD the car.. it only affects it if you're auto-X, etc. Its not a huge deal to slam it or drop it below 1" if all you do is go to school/work/grocery store.

tsxdriver
09-26-2010, 05:28 PM
okay, so lets see if i got this correct. i can use the rsx a spec kit and all i need to do is buy the two rsx tie rod ends and i'll be good to go?

iDom
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, and the 2 nuts and 2 cotter pins, but they're less than a dollar each so that's no big deal.

The tie rods, I just ordered through a Honda dealership, they came up in the computer system as the same tie rod ends on a Honda Element as well so they shouldn't be hard to find. Or, you could get them from clubrsx, 2 for 80.

iDom
09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Also, the DIY in here for installation of a suspensions suggests getting new tie rods anyway because it isn't uncommon for the boot on them to rip, so don't think of this as an 'extra' expense.. Well, at least that's what I told myself lol.. ;)

EDIT:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?57087-2k3hatchie-s-03-VBP&p=775402#post775402

Here are some pictures of the ride height you can be expecting (Perfect IMO)

tsxdriver
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, and the 2 nuts and 2 cotter pins, but they're less than a dollar each so that's no big deal.

The tie rods, I just ordered through a Honda dealership, they came up in the computer system as the same tie rod ends on a Honda Element as well so they shouldn't be hard to find. Or, you could get them from clubrsx, 2 for 80.sorry but I'm lost when it comes to suspension. What two nuts and cotter pins do I need? Can I get that from Honda or is that an Acura part? And wth is a cotter pin??

iDom
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/1.jpg

Red arrow is the cotter pin, the top is the tie rod, and the nut is what secures the tie rod onto the strut and the cotter pin is so it don't back out and come apart.

This should help with the installation as well..

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55036-DIY-Coilovers&highlight=DIY+coilovers

Here is the RSX tie rod

http://www.clubrsx.com/graphics/00000001/HON-53541-S7A-003.jpg

EDIT: I'm still pretty green here, so someone correct me if you see any mistakes.. I 'think' this is about right..

Twisted-X
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Cotter Pin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_pin) also known as a "split pin"

iDom
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
sorry but I'm lost when it comes to suspension. What two nuts and cotter pins do I need? Can I get that from Honda or is that an Acura part? And wth is a cotter pin??

Call them and tell them you need the 2 tie rod ends, and 2 nuts and 2 cotter pins that go to the tie rod ends shown in the diagram, that should get you the parts you need. You shouldn't run in to a problem.

tsxdriver
09-28-2010, 07:42 PM
thanks for the info! i picked up the two tie rod ends from crsx and bought the a spec suspension from curry acura off ebay since i had a 10% off coupon lol! just need to get those two nuts and cotter pins now.

powdbyrice
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=705435

04EpNewb
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
nice. You going to do it yourself? or gonna have a shop install them for you?

tsxdriver
09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=705435Thanks!

nice. You going to do it yourself? or gonna have a shop install them for you?
Im gonna have my friends shop install them.

iDom
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm going to attempt and do a DIY specifically for the A Spec when I install mine next week.

Also, if you're taking them to a shop, don't forget to mention that you're going to have to shave the bushing down on the rear a total of 3mm on the bushing, I have read it is best to do 1.5mm on each side, rather than 3mm on one side.

iDom
10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Just got my suspension delivered today and I have all my parts and everything, I will make a DIY on this and have it up before the weekend is over (I hope)

tsxdriver
10-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Awesome! Looking forward to it!

56chevydan
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I think anyone lowering their EP3 should read the attached link from a member on clubrsx.com. One of the members there designed and sells a bracket that replaces the center steering arm bracket located on the steering rack that the tie rods screw into. This bracket raises the area where the tie rods attach to this bracket, which lowers the upward angle of the tie rods to where they attach to the arms on the struts.

There are a lot of posts to read on the following link, but there is good information and feedback on the use of the bracket mentioned there. I recently had this bracket installed on my car and am very pleased with the smoother feel in the steering of the car and the lower outward angle of the tierods, which should help aleviate some of the wear in the rack.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=494883&highlight=steering+rack+bracket

Twisted-X
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I talked to the guy who makes those a few years ago and sent him some photos of my tie rod angles with the HFP (3/4" drop?), and he said the angles weren't severe enough to need the relocation bracket :shrug:

56chevydan
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I talked to the guy who makes those a few years ago and sent him some photos of my tie rod angles with the HFP (3/4" drop?), and he said the angles weren't severe enough to need the relocation bracket :shrug:
I'm on Sportline springs and stock struts with about a 1.5" drop. Installing the bracket changed the severe angle of my tierods, but they are still angled up to the struts- probably closer to the original angle of the car when at stock height. You're probably in the gray area of needing the bracket/not needing the bracket.

tsxdriver
10-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Got my suspension in on Monday. Hopefully I can get it installed over the weekend!

iDom
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Got my suspension in on Monday. Hopefully I can get it installed over the weekend!

I have the front installed, rear I have to do later today & get it up on a lift to do so! Having trouble getting the bolts out in the rear, they are extremely weathered & seized. It's all pretty strait forward tho. Not difficult, complexity wise.