PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in 3rd gear, wont shift into any other gear

playap07
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Sup guys, well heres the scoop. I was driving to work (normaly not speeding or pushing it) i stop at a stop sign and tried to shift into 1. when i tried to drive off it didnt work and i had to give it gas and ease off the clutch to get it to go in 3rd. Basically im stuck in 3rd now with no other gear works at the moment. It does not engage in any gear any more! What do you all think is the deal?

I took a look at that swich thing in the engine where the intake is and its not block by anything but when i move it with my had it moves too easily back in forth... i dont think thats normal...not sure though. I would love to hear you alls input.

usedep3
09-26-2010, 09:42 PM
so you can manually shift the transmission from the engine bay? or are you saying that the cable's are now loose?

27rocks
09-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I bet your clutch went. Same happened to me... it started getting really hard putting it in gears then it wouldnt go in any. Long story short, 2 springs from the clutch basically popped out and jammed.

playap07
09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I bet your clutch went. Same happened to me... it started getting really hard putting it in gears then it wouldnt go in any. Long story short, 2 springs from the clutch basically popped out and jammed.

I thought so too but im able to drive around in 3rd gear, even holds while in boost(was trouble shooting). the clutch feels normal and it engages. Its just stuck in third gear and wont come out.

so you can manually shift the transmission from the engine bay? or are you saying that the cable's are now loose?

well i can move the shift link from inside the engine bay. It feels like its not attached to anything inside the tranny.

Well im doing some research on Clubrsx right now and i found a couple things that could have gone wrong,

-Hydraulics, the master and slave cylinder could be leaking or have a bubble in it

- the 10mm Shift bolt in the tranny backed its self out (i think this is what happen to mine)

Im still looking things up but i plan on driving it to honda tomorrow and see what they say and get a quote to see how much it would cost to fix it. if its over 600 im just got to say f it and work on it my self.

27rocks
09-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Ahh i see. Well best of luck to you man hope you get her fixed up soon.

usedep3
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
it could also be that the shifter cable is now loose. there have been a few instances on the DC5/EP3 where the cable holder on the base of the shifter broke.

on the bottom of the shifter (inside the center console) there should be an area where the 2 cables twist om and are held by the shifter iteself. check there as welll.

playap07
09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
roger that! will do.

gamma6
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I thought so too but im able to drive around in 3rd gear, even holds while in boost(was trouble shooting). the clutch feels normal and it engages. Its just stuck in third gear and wont come out.
yeah my clutch also went out last april due to the metal retainer piece that holds those springs in, clutch felt fine just wouldnt let me shift between gears. Unless the car was off. once it was on tho, it wouldnt let me shift MOST OF THE TIME. I would turn off the car put it in gear and then drive off... Once in gear it was cool just getting in and out was hard.... so id say get ur clutch checked

playap07
09-27-2010, 08:38 PM
its not the clutch. i cant shift at all even with the car off. the shifter does not responed.

dkid15
09-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Same thing happened to me, My battery tray was hitting my shifter cables i think. Only thing it i could only get into 2-4-R. Its a longshot but have someone shift while your taking a look.

gamma6
09-28-2010, 09:47 AM
second that... since it may be your shifting cables or something that is in the way, since ur not able to shift at all... might want to also check the shifting mechanism in the dash, aftermarket stereo wires that might be in the way?

j0000stin
09-28-2010, 12:24 PM
ic piping in the way? throw out bearing went or fly wheel is warped

Guardian
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
At first it sounded like you shit a clutch spring. Check to make sure the cables are still attached to the shifter, have you installed a short shifter?

playap07
09-29-2010, 11:06 PM
took my baby to honda yesterday and got it fixed. They said the gear shifting mechanism inside the tranny came apart so it wasnt shifting the gears. I forget the proper name for it and the paper statement describing the problem is in the car. ill post the proper name tomorrow. It cost me 250 bones which was 3 hours of labor. Not bad in my opinion, i thought it was going to be 500+ thank god it wanst! Back on them streets now!!!!

gamma6
09-29-2010, 11:12 PM
good to hear, noob question: there a reason why it broke?

playap07
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
good to hear, noob question: there a reason why it broke?

he said hard shifting could have caused it, but when i was driving it i was just chilling, going easy on her because i was in a neighborhood. I stopped at a stop sign and BAM! stuck in third gear...and my shifter is loose as ever. My opinion of what caused it would be engine vibration making the bolt come loose or somethin. Im no mechanic though. I just slept at a holiday inn and read posts on ephatch. haha

cloumep3
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I had similar problem, get stuck in 3rd..., it actually was bad/worn out throwout bearing. Use to give my stick a gentle shake and yank it real hard to get out of it. uh... that didn't sound quite right... hahaha...

usedep3
10-07-2010, 09:13 PM
he said hard shifting could have caused it, but when i was driving it i was just chilling, going easy on her because i was in a neighborhood. I stopped at a stop sign and BAM! stuck in third gear...and my shifter is loose as ever. My opinion of what caused it would be engine vibration making the bolt come loose or somethin. Im no mechanic though. I just slept at a holiday inn and read posts on ephatch. haha

did you ever open your tranny for any reason? to build it, replace a synchro, add a 6th gear/lsd?