PDA

View Full Version : New rotors

karxarias
09-29-2010, 05:26 PM
I've read through the suspension forums extensively and the general consensus regarding brake rotors is just to get <insert company here> blanks because drilled are crap and slotted are more of a track-day type thing.

On another note it also seems to be commonly accepted that it's much better to drop unsprung weight on your car than it is to drop sprung weight.

With that in mind and given that rotors are unsprung weight it stands to reason that lighter rotors would be beneficial to the car's performance would they not?

I just ordered the Wilwood BBK (they don't make kits for the rear, I asked) and noticed that even with the larger diameter rotors, the BBK rotors weigh less (forget by how much) than stock rotors and it got me wondering.

I need new rotors for the rear of my car and was wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes undrilled/unslotted rotors for our car that are lighter than the stock/blank rotors?

karxarias
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh and on a different note on the same topic of brakes, is it worthwhile to get stainless steel braided brake lines for the rear in our car (i know it is for the front and they are included in the dynalite kit I'm getting on sale) and if so can you please post a link to a reseller of them?

Drew1d
09-29-2010, 07:21 PM
As far as I understand it, there is some golden ratio between sprung and unsprung weight. And I've had 7 40lb bags in the hatch. (I was desperate.) The car had a great ride but couldn't go or stop for isht. Lighter unsprung weight is probably the key between performance and comfort, but it has quite a price-tag.

As for stopping, I'd figure more material is better for cooling and contact. Even spirited driving I think it's enough. I'm sure a BBK will have it stop quicker. Is it a lighter rotor also, or just caliper?

I've never tried stainless steel lines. If you get them, please post how they do.