PDA

View Full Version : OverBoosting! Any ideas?

DgrzEp3
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I took my car out for a drive today and noticed that it seemed to be much faster than how it normally is

i glanced over to the boost gauge and noticed that i was giving it full trottle with about 20psi on my A3

thankfully she is still running, but now in fear of ruining the engine im trying to figure out whats wrong

i have the greddy turbo kit. No boost controller.

Any suggestions...

i was thinking maybe that the actuator is sticking and isnt opening the flap.

makavelibranded
09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Dont get on it at all until you fix it,.. theres 2 things to look for,.. after a recent race event I too noticed this, I had boosted to about 13psi when I noticed. All it happened to be was a vacuum line from the wastegate poped loose,.. other thing is the wastegate could be stuck closed, mines actually got stuck open a couple years ago but getting on and off boost rapidly I broke it free.

DgrzEp3
09-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Makavelibranded.

ill look into that vacuum line and to see if it is stuck shut..

should i just spray wd-40 on the or would something be better.

couldnt i still drive it but just moniter the boost gauge so that its not overboosting?

sleepy ep3
09-30-2010, 05:00 PM
More than likely an issue with the wastegate of some sort. If you have kpro it will pull timing out to protect the motor up to a certain point. I doubt you did any damage, as my wastegate failed and I was running 19psi for a while. Didn't hurt anything

Tnhatch03
09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
what fuel management are you using?

kpro? emanage?

DgrzEp3
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
i am running kpro..

I was thinking of connecting my laptop and setting overboost protection or whatever its called i forget.

i did by the kit used from member lleron.

when the kit came some bolts were rusted. im thinking maybe the flap is stuck shut..

whats my best move from here?

makavelibranded
09-30-2010, 06:11 PM
you need to look for yourself and diagnose what the problem is, dont go poking around thinking its something if you havint looked yet check those vacuum lines there a common and easy fix,.. you dont need to enable anything just dont get on the throttle and boost

dobbs02si
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
you need to look for yourself and diagnose what the problem is, dont go poking around thinking its something if you havint looked yet check those vacuum lines there a common and easy fix,.. you dont need to enable anything just dont get on the throttle and boost

Agreed..ive had it happen a couple of times.