PDA

View Full Version : Sound Insulation-Where to place?

88fox05si
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I travel alot using the EP. I typically drive 300-400 miles every other weekend. In those travels I drive across very different road surfaces ranging from very rough to very smooth.
While traveling over the rough roads the road noise is more than I'd like.
At first I thought I'd get used to it, but I'm not.

I plan to use some products like dynamatt (spelling might be wrong) or b-quiet. I've used one of them successfully in my vw wagon.

I plan to remove the plastic panels to get to the unibody. Not knowing what exactly the unibody looks like, I'd like to know where the best place to apply the dynamatt to achieve a quieter ride.

Where is the best place to apply the material? ---I'm thinking door panels, kick panels, over the wheel wells, and maybe under the carpet.
Where would be the best place (amazon?) to buy the stuff?---I'm on a budget, so strategicly placed sound abatement is what I'm looking for.

If anyone has them, could someone post some images of a stripped interior? I think I'd have better chance to plan this venture out with something to go by.

Thanks

until240
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I liked RAAMmat. More cost-effective than Dynamat.

talonXracer
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
NEVER EVER USE DYNAMAT ! ! !

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/newinterior004.jpg

And here is how to PROPERLY insulate the vehicle, plus the reason for the above statement http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55895-New-Interior-that-has-Snowballed-out-of-control!

You will want to apply your sound control substance to the side panels next to the rear seats, the rear wheel wells, stuff the air space with poly-fill between inner and outer panels, apply sound proofing across the very rear wall and pass side of the spare tire well, also do the doors as well.

cody_sir
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
ya dynamat is CRAP

BeaterEP
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Holy shit. Just went through the entire thread talon, that's amazing work man!!! :meek::thumbu:
I can't imagine what kind of cost you'd incur at a shop for that same job.

Glad I'm down here in car-friendly no-salt land. Wow.

88fox05si
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Talon,
That's quite a job you did. Obviously for good reasons too. Luckily in South Carolina municipalities don't use salt when it snows. It rarely snows here anyhow.

I did some knocking around today under the panels to see where I would need the stuff. What exactly was Honda thinking when NO soundproofing is applied to the rear panels and doors? I'm not sure.

Question: Do both rear plastic panels come off in one piece? is there anything special when removing the panels?

Thanks for the replies.

talonXracer
10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
The rear panels are in one piece sorta, There is a cover in the rear that neads to be removed(where the rear hatch cover mounts), seat belt bolts and the rear speakers. Remove the center rear panel first.

ALSO, I have also seen a RSX with Dynamat installed, but it lived down south, and it's carcass was in far worse shape and was actually scraped. They installed Dynamat on all the floors and being down south in what passes for a tropical environment, rust had formed all over, front to back, if you stepped onto the floor behind the pass seat the only thing keeping your foot from going through the rust was the Dynamat! LOL

So it isnt just salt related, anytime any moisture can get under the Dynamat it just stews and the corrosion is greatly accelerated. The rust forms between the Dynamat and the metal panel. I didnt even now it was going on underneath the Dynamat on my ride.

88fox05si
10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
The photos you posted are a good reminder to consider the long term effects of a product like dynmat. Because the stuff is so hard to remove i do not plan on using it at all.
I found out today, before checking the thread that the center rear panel must be removed first.

talonXracer
10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Where I think Dynamat shines is on the backside of interior plastic panels. Another great insulator is a spray foam to fill the molded in baffles on the backside of the panels(you will understand when you look at the panels)