PDA

View Full Version : removing valvetrain.... HELP!

Kerby
09-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Is there a standard tool I can get to compress the valvesprings to remove the keepers and thus remove the valve?

Or for just to remove them, can I just use a set of lineman's pliers and use that to compress the spring?

How much is it? And, where can I get it?

How much force should I compress on the springs? I'm not going to reuse anything anyway... I'm just curious so I don't bend or mark anything.

RHCP0801
09-30-2010, 06:53 PM
use a socket and hammer, the socket will push the spring down and the keepers will come out....done

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-30-2010, 11:31 PM
presuming you have the head off http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Tools-Shop-Equipment/Part-Type/Valve-Spring-Compressors/?Ns=Rank%7CAsc

superchargedk20
10-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Hmmm someone has big plans commin for there ep. u wana share?

Kerby
10-01-2010, 04:21 AM
:
presuming you have the head off http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Tools-Shop-Equipment/Part-Type/Valve-Spring-Compressors/?Ns=Rank%7CAsc
Yes, I purchased a spare k24a2 head. Thanks for the link. I should have been specific... is there a specific tool for a k-series or for that matter a Honda headcylinder?

Hmmm someone has big plans commin for there ep. u wana share?
You damn straight man. Somebody has to give you some competition. :hehe:
For right now it's top secret :secret:... but come spring time I'm gonna let the cat outta the bag. Kinda doing everything under the radar. Wife wants to get a new living room set and hardwood floors at the house... so I'm doing everything on the down low :shady:. I got the spare head burried under a tire set... and I'm going to get the valvetrain like under the table... she pays the bills so yeah...

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-01-2010, 04:57 AM
a universal valve spring compressor. i have the fith one down from the top its very useful but a pain when puting in the keepers

mp_02si
10-01-2010, 05:03 AM
:

For right now it's top secret :secret:... but come spring time I'm gonna let the cat outta the bag. Kinda doing everything under the radar. Wife wants to get a new living room set and hardwood floors at the house... so I'm doing everything on the down low :shady:.

ha ha ha lol this sounds like every mod I do to my car only each time im trying to throw a sales pitch as to why we need the part on the car. "I swear honey it will get better gas mileage with a raceheader....as long as I keep my foot out of it."

Kerby
10-01-2010, 05:56 AM
ha ha ha lol this sounds like every mod I do to my car only each time im trying to throw a sales pitch as to why we need the part on the car. "I swear honey it will get better gas mileage with a raceheader....as long as I keep my foot out of it."

my wife is a good sport. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a wife that actually helps to build a car and wants to help me with it.
It's just she finally has a house of her own and wants to "mod" it. So i get the "look" when I purchase car parts that aren't on our plan list.... Doing headwork was scheduled for next year, but I just can't wait that long.

Deadphishy
10-01-2010, 06:28 AM
my wife is a good sport. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a wife that actually helps to build a car and wants to help me with it.
It's just she finally has a house of her own and wants to "mod" it. So i get the "look" when I purchase car parts that aren't on our plan list.... Doing headwork was scheduled for next year, but I just can't wait that long.

haha, thats great.

A lot of girls don't understand that modding our cars is like them modding the living room.

kenscivic
10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
a universal valve spring compressor. i have the fith one down from the top its very useful but a pain when puting in the keepers

The truth , it sure is a bitch to install dual heavy duty valve springs with a motor still in a car with those though.. But can be done. It's tons easier if you have a friend pushing down and somebody putting in the keepers or whatever they are called

Kerby
10-05-2010, 04:53 AM
I used RHCP0801 advise and just used a socket and hammer.

Thanks guys.

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I used RHCP0801 advise and just used a socket and hammer.

Thanks guys.

yeah to remove but how are you going to put the new stuff in

Kerby
10-07-2010, 06:21 AM
the shop/machinist I am sending the head to is including installing in their price.
It's funny, but they charge extra for them to remove the existing valvetrain.