PDA

View Full Version : Un wanted vibration

Triton88
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I appreciate any help i can get here. My car has started shaking at around 50mph. It does not matter what gear (mostly 3rd and 4th) but when ever i add throttle or go up a hill the car shakes pretty violently at 50mph. under that it is fine and the moment it gets to like 55 its fine. I have no idea what this could be. any help please. also just got new motor mounts so thats not the problem.

122000 miles
JR street SC with power card

ZaTHRaS
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Driveshaft, i had the same issue. Right side(passenger) is probably where its at. I took it to a reputable shop here, the guy test drove it, pulled back in after a few minutes and just said, "front right axel". Charged me 1/2 the original diagnosis fee.

That's my best guess anyway, hope it helps.

Note: I bought a "new" aftermarket replacement, it was cheap, and didn't feel tight, and clunky going through gears, just not right. I put like 2k miles on it and then had my oem rebuilt. Much better choice. The place I bought it, refunded me.

ttttrigg3r
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I've also seen this problem and it was a bent wheel. This was on a jeep. Also had shaking problem going 65+ on a corolla and it was an alignment problem. Hope that helped.

talonXracer
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
There are many things it could be, from a out of round tire, excessive wear on one tire, wheel bearings, tierod ends, alignment shot etc.

You need to just eliminate them, checking the condition of the tires, wheel bearings, tierod ends, are all checks you can do .

Triton88
10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey all thanks for the info. So i recently (few months ago, not sure if this is when the shaking started or not ) got brand new tires put on and the the tire guys said one of my rims was "a bit off" as he described it, said he put the wheel on the rear so i shouldn't notice any thing different. could this be it? Also what would be the best way to check? also how would i check the tirerod ends, would it be obvious or something impeticular i should look for? and can i inspect the drive shaft and would it be obvious or what exactly should i be looking for? Thanks again.