PDA

View Full Version : Question?Dynamat?

1fasthb
10-02-2010, 02:45 AM
When i see some of the guys with ep's that make video's either showing the car off or fix'ing some thing with the car being apart, and everyone has dynamat on the door's and trunk and so on i thought this stuff was for systems and stuff and these dont have a system ofc just wondering if i am missing some thing here

talonXracer
10-02-2010, 05:41 AM
It greatly helps with the exhaust droning and road noise, Civic = almost non-existant sound proofing. it gives the car a ore solid feal, reduces virations, creates a better car. Sound and Thermal insulation are the only real differences between a top end vehicle and the cheapest in the line-up.

BUT, there is a huge issue with Dynamat, it traps moisture and creates a rust oven between it and the metal body panels, and it is SUPER heavy! For far less money and far better results, the LizardSkin Ceramic spray-in sound and thermal insulation wins HANDS DOWN ! ! !

JeffCO
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
I was considering installing Dynamat in my doors while I am doing some work with the door panels off, but after reading this thread I think am more interested in the Lizardskin product now. Which Lizardskin is better for inner doors? The ceramic insulation or the sound control formula? Which is more expensive. Hard to extract this information from their website. Has anybody used this material? If so, I would like to know more about it. Was it easy to use? Messy? Pain in the ass? etc.

JeffCO
04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Just found more information at Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/LizardSkin/?autoview=SKU&gclid=CMHbqcCLwqgCFRx3gwodXDrjqw

Sounds like the products are best used in conjunction together. But, if I was only going to use one product for my inner doors which one would I buy? I think the sound control formula. Any thoughts?

talonXracer
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes I have used LizardSkin, http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55895-New-Interior-that-has-Snowballed-out-of-control!&highlight=lizardskin

JeffCO
04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Talon,

I just checked out your thread link. Wow, what an amazing job you did on your car. So, what would you suggest if I was just going to Lizardskin my inner doors for the time being? You think it would be ok with just sound control formula? I don't particularly want to purchase both coatings. One or the other. Which one ?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-29-2011, 01:30 PM
o.O could you lizardskin your midpipe and whatnot for a quieter exhaust??

i mean of course you can coat it but i mean would it cause any issues?

talonXracer
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
If you only intend on a single coating and will coat the inside of the door I would go with the Ceramic heat control formula, it also reduces sound and will greatly help heating and cooling. you can place a sheet of steel that has been coated with the ceramic thermal(dark grey) directly in the sun for an hour(at the desert) and then place your hand on it and it will feel cold to the touch, then heat the back side of the steel plate with a heat gun and the ceramic coating will still be cool to the touch.

Lizardskin will not work on exhausts, that requires an entirely different material and process, and the best being SwainTech's White Lightning for coating a header http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44305-SSR-header&highlight=SwainTech

JeffCO
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Great info talonx!

As you probably have the most experience working with this stuff, I got another question for ya. Would a 2 gallon bucket cover the inner doors really good? Enough for two coats perhaps?

Also, are you still using your lizardskin spray gun kit? Need to sell it maybe?

talonXracer
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
There should be more than enough to properly do the doors, I would shoot for 3 coats. After it dries for a few days it can have a body color painted over it. I also use the gun for undercoating and spraying Monstaliner, so you should be able to find one easily and probably cheaper that is meant for spraying undercoating...