PDA

View Full Version : hondata

Black04si
10-02-2010, 06:31 AM
well i keep finding all kinds of surprises in my Honda i just bought from the bank but i pulled the ecm down to make a little room to run sum wiring and there is a big sticker across it saying hondata so im guessing the thing has been sent off to tune i thought i was buying a car i could get some decent gas mileage out of compared to my truck and everywhere i look i keep finding one aftermarket part after another im now trying to figure out how to get some mileage back out of this thing i have only put 100 miles on it and i have used almost a half a tank already wtf 4cyl is worse than my truck

talonXracer
10-02-2010, 07:55 AM
A properly tuned engine with aftermarket performance parts will get appreciably better fuel economy. See if the ECU has a small opening for a USB cable(opposite end of the factory connectors), that would mean you have Hondata Kpro.

When you increase performance you are increasing efficiency, increase efficiency and you increase the mpg.

BUT, the trick is to properly tune the engine, with Kpro you can correct the fuel/ignition/cam advance to obtain a A/F that is conducive to better mileage. A 4cyl will need more maintenance to keep at peak efficiency, have you done a tuneup on the ride?

Fuel mileage from the factory is only around 26-28 mpg on the highway. Also remember the fuel tank is only 13 gallons from total empty to full to the fill neck, your truck is probably at least twice that size.

I am pushing 248whp to the pavement, all NA, and get 36-38mpg at 65-70mph

Deadphishy
10-02-2010, 08:46 AM
If you do in fact have Kpro and your still not happy with the car. I would give one of the online tuners a shout out, and spend a little money to have then tune the part throttle on your car.

I just did muy first tank of gas on my cammed k20a2. i did 29mpgs all city driving. that was with 335 miles on 11.4 gallons.

AUTiger
10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
while you're at it, if you have k-pro, check the stamp on the block and verify if you still have the stock k20a3 and not an even bigger upgrade to a k24.

Black04si
10-02-2010, 10:31 AM
i looked at it whilre it was out it has a usb plug on it so i have kpro i guess how do i use it what program do i need actually i looked at the motor im not sure where the block stamp is but i think someone had this thing turbo at one time there is a plug on the back of the oil pan looks like it was for a return line from turbo

and i looked at the plugs this morning that last guy put a set of those bosch +4 plugs in it what are the correct plugs and gap for this thing

oh and do these things normally run 3500 rpm at 70 seems high to me but this is my first honda 4cyl and my first import

Deadphishy
10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, that is the stock gearing.

No those are not the right plugs, He might have been using those for the turbo. correct plugs are Iriduim heat range 6 for the k20a3.

You need to go to hondata.com and watch the videos. You need a USB cord and a laptop with Kmanager on it. and you start tuning... But don't touch it untill you know a lot more about the car, and how to use it.

The Block stamp is right under the throttle body. use a flashlight, it will have k20a3 etched into the block right where it connects to the transmission. The stamp faces upward so its real easy to spot.

Black04si
10-02-2010, 11:10 AM
i wprobably wont touch the tune at all myself i have a friend of mine that used to tune my monte carlo for me that knows what he is doing

Deadphishy
10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
i wprobably wont touch the tune at all myself i have a friend of mine that used to tune my monte carlo for me that knows what he is doing
Um.......Does he tune cars all the time. The honda K series is a very complicated motor to tune. Between Vtec and Cam advance, its a little tricky if you havn't done it before.

EPSU3
10-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Well if you want to avoid the headaches of russian roulette tuning we could always swap ecus :)

talonXracer
10-03-2010, 08:28 AM

If he tuned a monte Calo I wouldnt let him anywheres near the laptop and Kpro unless he has already tuned several cars with kpro, sorta like asking Wilbur Wright to repair a 747, LOL

Go onto Hondata's site and download kmngr, then watch all the videos and teaching aids. Also read all the stickies on as many Kseries related sites regarding tuning with Kpro that you can find.

We can help adjust your tune using the datalog function and you posting it up, when you get a grip on how to use Kpro.

mp_02si
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I wish i popped out my glove box and found that my car was kprod. I dont know if you feel it but you are actually pretty lucky. Kpro alone is a $1000 upgrade.

Deadphishy
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I wish i popped out my glove box and found that my car was kprod. I dont know if you feel it but you are actually pretty lucky. Kpro alone is a $1000 upgrade.

The very first EP i test drove had either a reflash or kpro reved well over 7k. I didn't know what either was at the time. All i know was the Speedo didn't work all the time. (which i now know is a common grounding problem that is super easy to fix) I could have gotten the EP really cheap because they kept telling me it would take longer and longer to fix the Speedo. (the local honda techs couldn't figure out what was wrong with it). So I didn't buy it. It would have been a great buy if i knew just a little more about the car at the time. All i remember about that car is punching it in second gear and it just ripped. I was shocked.......maybe it was swapped.

mp_02si
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
The very first EP i test drove had either a reflash or kpro reved well over 7k. I didn't know what either was at the time. All i know was the Speedo didn't work all the time. (which i now know is a common grounding problem that is super easy to fix) I could have gotten the EP really cheap because they kept telling me it would take longer and longer to fix the Speedo. (the local honda techs couldn't figure out what was wrong with it). So I didn't buy it. It would have been a great buy if i knew just a little more about the car at the time. All i remember about that car is punching it in second gear and it just ripped. I was shocked.......maybe it was swapped.

Finding swapped ep's for sale seems to be more and more common. Sometimes I wish I would have looked around harder when I bought mine. Oh well live and learn.

kenscivic
10-04-2010, 12:41 PM
How hard is it to really tune an a3? What were the condition of your plugs (what did they look like?) That's the best way to get a baseline tune done, read the plugz yoo

o2ep3
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
i want hondata i am willing to trade ecu plus cash for your ecu. it will save you time and money on a tune and you kno what to expect for gas milage. pm me if your interested

Black04si
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
after i bought this car i have found all kinda of goodies jdm projectors jdm coin holder buddy club short throw tien flex coilovers i thought the car was stock i bought it as a bank repo to my surpise it had al kinds of cool stuff i have come to appreciate have ing the kpro now it pretty handy once u learn how to use it and i love the way the car handles with the coilovers

i got a code today saying m fuel mix was to rich any suggestions

AUTiger
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
yes, get it tuned!