PDA

View Full Version : Best approach to remove the starter

good
10-02-2010, 10:57 AM
hi guys,

About a week ago my car just wouldn't turn over and no clicks, so I am assuming its the starter because the battery is only 1 month old. I am trying to remove the starter, what would be the easiest way to remove it. Should I approach it from under the car or above the car. The starter is in such a crappy spot and I really dont know how to approach this problem.

usedep3
10-02-2010, 11:55 AM
i did it from under the car. i think i removed the bracket that supports the intake manifold. good luck bc removing and reinstalling the starter is a pain in the ass. it's freaking fustrating

talonXracer
10-02-2010, 12:59 PM
NEVER assume! There could be other reasons for the battery being sapped, check it before going at the starter.

Deadphishy
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm going to guess that your alternator is not charging the battery very well. Starters don't really just stop working. But if you have to, If you take off the intake manifold and pull it from the top, It should only take you a little more then an hour.

Ep3 ked
10-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm going to guess that your alternator is not charging the battery very well. Starters don't really just stop working. But if you have to, If you take off the intake manifold and pull it from the top, It should only take you a little more then an hour.

Ya thats the way I got to mine. It does sound like the alternator itsnt charging I would take that off first because its easyer to get off. Take it to somewhere where they can test it and if its no good it will only cost about 90$ to get it rebuilt

RHCP0801
10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
yea just take out the pass side headlight and the alt comes out in 2 seconds

Kerby
10-02-2010, 04:09 PM
When doing the k24 swap, this might be a possible way:

1.) Remove front bumper
2.) Remove radiator and radiator support
3.) Remove intake manifold

Bon apettite!

Tnhatch03
10-02-2010, 04:15 PM
i would just go buy a new car. :-)

but seriously, are you sure it is the starter?

maybe a grounding issue?

sleepy ep3
10-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Dynamite always works well, and it's cheap. You won't have to worry about the starter anymore. Got to think positive in these tough times.

good
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
First thanks guys for the responses. I have been considering dynamite but financially it's not plausible for me right now.

honestly i dont know what's going on with the car. I drove the car for a couple weeks and i noticed it would get harder and harder for the car to start until it would not start the car at all. I am going to look into the alternator first b/c I found out where the starter is through ephatch.com and I was like this is gonna suck.

Again thanks for the help guys

Tnhatch03
10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
def. check to make sure your grounds are secure.

good
10-03-2010, 06:48 AM
thanks ill check that out the grounds too, i had a problem with the wire being loss to the starter before and it could be that too

sleepy ep3
10-03-2010, 11:02 AM
For real dude, just get a voltmeter and put it on the battery terminals. Have a buddy crank the car an see what the voltage drops down to. If it drops below 10.5 then you should charge it and try again. The alternator has to do with that battery, and nothing to do with the starter. If your alternator is bad, your battery will let you know. If you can get it started, put the voltmeter on the terminals again and watch the voltage. You should hear a slight click when the alternator comes on, an the volts should jump up to about 13.5-14 if they do not do this, then your alternator is bad. Try it a couple times to be sure. If the alternator is bad, chances are it killed the battery also, but sometimes they can be brought back by charging. If you dont see low voltage anywhere, and it still won't start or is hesitant, its your starter. Then go down to Harry's Explosion Depot an buy 2 sticks of grade A dynamite, insert into oil cap hole, light, enjoy. No more car issues. :mbiggrin:

good
10-03-2010, 01:06 PM
haha thanks sleepy ep3 but ive already gone too far. so ive removed all the nuts and bolts to the intake manifold to the block, but there is a stud preventing me from pulling the intake manifold out. Also I don't have clearance on the left side of the belt tensioner. Have yall dealt with this before and if yall did how do I get around this problem. Also I am going to take the alternator out to get it tested.

Much appreciated guys

This link has the photos of the issues i am dealing with and it's circled in orange

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/good16/

japarossa
10-03-2010, 01:32 PM
You should have just pushed it to get it started, and if it runs fine then its the starter but if it stalls after a few minutes you will know your alternator isn't charging the battery. Just alot easier than pulling a bunch of stuff apart and replacing parts at random. As for the stud, just put 2 nuts on the stud and pull it out. I've had the intake off several times without removing the stud.

good
10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
thanks japarossa, i will try out the two nut approach. i am new to the car fixing thing i will remember the push start for next time.