PDA

View Full Version : Oil CHANGE

04EpNewb
10-02-2010, 04:39 PM
hey ep3 community!

Did my first oil change. I got me some OEM honda oil filters and Used Castrol synth oil 5w-20.

Question. Is it worth using OEM honda oil filters with other type of oils like synthetic and diff brands?
I figured it's best to use OEM honda filter with OEM honda oil.
Or is it best to get a aftermarket Oil filter for better performance and something suitable with synthetic oil. Dont bash me i'm a newb when it comes to Cars. Starting to get the hang of this and getting more into cars ;D

Btw It wasn't that bad changing the oil filter as i thought it would be from the forums i've read online heh. Used a ramp.

RHCP0801
10-02-2010, 04:44 PM
i always use a honda filter than mobil 1 synthetic 5w30

ep3egg
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda OEM filters always dood, good job!

Silvercard
10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
NICE! Feel good changing the oil and stuff like that on my ep . make me appreciate it more lol. Honda OEM are good. From experience, stay away from Fram oil filters. They have swollen or cracked on me. I have using lately purolator filter with royal purple.

beechstreet
10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
For what they charge for those honeywell made Honda filters you'd be better off going with Wix/Napa Gold, Bosch, Purolator, or even save some cash while you're at it and get some SuperTechs at Walmart. just my 2 cents

Twisted-X
10-03-2010, 12:33 AM
From experience, stay away from Fram oil filters. They have swollen or cracked on me.

Not sure if they still do, but they used to have cardboard endcaps that disintegrate and leaky bypass valves. link (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html)

Paul 631
10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
honda uses fram to supply their OEM filters. The endcaps aren't cardboard, but a bonded fiber medium...

04EpNewb
10-04-2010, 12:17 AM
so what's a good oil filter and what do most rec for their ep3? mobil extended performance filter or the puralotr pureone filter? inputs appreciated lookin to spoil my baby ;D anything that'll give it that extra haha

beechstreet
10-04-2010, 08:49 PM
so what's a good oil filter and what do most rec for their ep3? mobil extended performance filter or the puralotr pureone filter? inputs appreciated lookin to spoil my baby ;D anything that'll give it that extra haha

cant go wrong with either mobil 1 or pureone. i'd personally go with the pureone because its half the price

jlong21
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
personally owning my car for 4 years and being the newb in the group of my car friends who have been in it since the EARLY days i would say a Wix filter with Mobile 1 full sythentic 5w-20. i have run this since i got my car at 40k and im at 85k no problems.

ps if your a really big noob make sure you point a little used on on the rubber gasket on the oil filter makes it easier to get off next time.

VividSI
12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
honda uses fram to supply their OEM filters. The endcaps aren't cardboard, but a bonded fiber medium...

im looking at a oem Honda filter and it says FILTECH inc. not FRAM.

Mechanic
12-08-2010, 08:02 AM
im looking at a oem Honda filter and it says FILTECH inc. not FRAM.
Honda's A01 filters are supplied by Filtech; the A02s are supplied by Fram/Honeywell. Arguably, the A01s are more robust, but both are manufactured to the specifications prescribed by American Honda Motor Co. In any case, either Wix's/NAPA's 1356 or Purolator's PL-14610 are better constructed, contain more media and are less expensive, particularly if purchased online.

RedSiBaron
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
for the record there is a huge huge huge difference in the quality of honda oem filters versus the fram/honeywell and id rather run hondas filters over anyone else, honda knows what they are doing and put more r&d in than suppliers, so ill just go with what they suggest before trusting someone else

my 2cents are why the hell would you cheap out for a essentially a couple bucks at most on something that lasts months and is one of the most important parts of keeping an engine happy and healthy over time...im so tired of people bitching about the cost of better oil and filters, the increased cost is so freaking minimal when you look at the span of time you run it.

RedSiBaron
12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
for the record there is a huge huge huge difference in the quality of honda oem filters versus the fram/honeywell and id rather run hondas filters over anyone else, honda knows what they are doing and put more r&d in than suppliers, so ill just go with what they suggest before trusting someone else

my 2cents are why the hell would you cheap out for a essentially a couple bucks at most on something that lasts months and is one of the most important parts of keeping an engine happy and healthy over time...im so tired of people bitching about the cost of better oil and filters, the increased cost is so freaking minimal when you look at the span of time you run it.

Mechanic
12-08-2010, 03:02 PM

I think you misunderstood my response above. To clarify, Honda has two suppliers for its "OEM" filters. One, HMC part # 15400-PLM-A01, is supplied to Honda by Filtech. The other, HMC part # 15400-PLM-A02, is supplied by Honeywell/Fram. Both are manufactured to conform to the filtration requirements prescribed by Honda, and hundreds of thousands of both have been sold by Honda dealers and are in use today. Neither is as bad as Fram's lowest-cost "Orange Can of Death" or, for that matter, as many of the exaggerations posted on the web would have you believe. I, however, prefer Wix/NAPA 1356 or Purolator's PL-14610 because I have inspected both carefully, have read a ton of research, and I know they are much better filters for less money. I agree with you completely that there is no reason to "cheap out" when it comes to an oil filter that will be on your car for months.