PDA

View Full Version : Potential buyer checking in.

Spinks
10-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone I think I'm in the market for an Ep3. I've wanted one since I was 10 around when they came out. I just wanted to know what everyone likes and dislikes about their Ep3s. I've had an 07 lx since...well 07. I'm not looking for performance in an Ep3 I just want a fun car that's reliable, good on gas, practical, and I can enjoy driving everyday. My current civic is awesome and I couldn't be more satisfied with it, but Ep3s are just a little more "me". Or so I think.

So all you Ep3 driver's please chime in!

BeaterEP
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey man, welcome!
This being an EP forum, naturally, most of the folks here really like their cars. :mbiggrin:
There are those that complain about it being underpowered due to the A3 engine (instead of the A2, like the RSX-s), and there's some merit to that. Frankly, the car should have come with the A2 engine, but hey, for whatever reason, it didn't. That being said, it's still a pretty fun little car to drive. Pretty sporty for your daily driver hatchback, and there are certain little touches that help with that impression like the seats, steering wheel, dash-mounted shift knob, etc. Is it a racecar? Nope. But if your just looking for something fun and convenient to take you from A to B, the EP3 is a pretty good answer.
Now, since you'll be shopping used, a couple of things to look for...
Mods: Don't buy a modded EP3, period. Really that goes for just about any car out there, but with the Honda tuning scene being what it is at times, a modded car is a lot more likely to give you trouble down the road. Find a car that's never been modded and is well maintained (trust me, they're all over the place) and go for it. There are literally grandma EPs to be had, you just have to be patient enough to find one.
Transmission: The K-series trannys have kind of a hit or miss history. Many are just fine, but there are those out there that have developed a nasty little grind going in to gear (second and third in particular). Make sure you get a good test drive in before you buy, and feel the owner out about any transmission issues he/she may have had with the car. Again, this isn't a guaranteed problem, but it's common enough you need to be aware of it.
Research: Dig around here on the forums for a while! There's a metric crap-ton of info on everything EP here; maintenance, modding, track duty, etc. There are also quite a few threads from prospective owners like yourself. Search around and see what you can find!

So, welcome to the `Hatch! Hope you find what you're looking for, and if you decide to pick up an EP3 keep us posted. :thumbu:

J Mo
10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey man, welcome!
This being an EP forum, naturally, most of the folks here really like their cars. :mbiggrin:
There are those that complain about it being underpowered due to the A3 engine (instead of the A2, like the RSX-s), and there's some merit to that. Frankly, the car should have come with the A2 engine, but hey, for whatever reason, it didn't. That being said, it's still a pretty fun little car to drive. Pretty sporty for your daily driver hatchback, and there are certain little touches that help with that impression like the seats, steering wheel, dash-mounted shift knob, etc. Is it a racecar? Nope. But if your just looking for something fun and convenient to take you from A to B, the EP3 is a pretty good answer.
Now, since you'll be shopping used, a couple of things to look for...
Mods: Don't buy a modded EP3, period. Really that goes for just about any car out there, but with the Honda tuning scene being what it is at times, a modded car is a lot more likely to give you trouble down the road. Find a car that's never been modded and is well maintained (trust me, they're all over the place) and go for it. There are literally grandma EPs to be had, you just have to be patient enough to find one.
Transmission: The K-series trannys have kind of a hit or miss history. Many are just fine, but there are those out there that have developed a nasty little grind going in to gear (second and third in particular). Make sure you get a good test drive in before you buy, and feel the owner out about any transmission issues he/she may have had with the car. Again, this isn't a guaranteed problem, but it's common enough you need to be aware of it.
Research: Dig around here on the forums for a while! There's a metric crap-ton of info on everything EP here; maintenance, modding, track duty, etc. There are also quite a few threads from prospective owners like yourself. Search around and see what you can find!

So, welcome to the `Hatch! Hope you find what you're looking for, and if you decide to pick up an EP3 keep us posted. :thumbu:

^ this guy has it covered

but one point i'd like to bring up is that it never occurred to me that its possible that a modded car could have been brought back to stock and sold as stock

and i also second that it is possible to find grandma EP's, especially because this generation of Si's seemed to attract rather conservative buyers, mostly DD'ing the car from what ive been noticing

Kentoneseboi
10-03-2010, 09:40 PM
yay i was in the same situation as you...i went from a 07 lx coupe to a ep3 wheee!

MBaG
10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
a 50+ year old guy owned my car before me. he really liked it, but he said his back couldn't take the stiff suspension anymore.

haha, he told me kids would always pull up to him & try to race him. but he would just roll down his tinted window and show himself.

cody_sir
10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
thats funny

BeaterEP
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I used to fly out of state for work a lot, my dad would usually "watch" my car when I was out of town. He always got ricer boys trying to race him on his way in to work LOL!
fuuuuckin San Antonio.

ZaTHRaS
10-05-2010, 03:15 AM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1989444643.html