PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

Zavy
10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
hey i need some help here.. my clutch is going out:mcry: and i dont really know where to get a new one... i dont really need anything fancy.. i just need a basic clutch... can someone send me a link where i can purchase one?

K20wagon
10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Clubep3 has the exedy oe clutch which is the oem replacement for 175$.

27rocks
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
^^^ great clutch. It's what im running in my Ep right now. A tad on the soft side but works well.

K20wagon
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
^^^ great clutch. It's what im running in my Ep right now. A tad on the soft side but works well.

Same here. I have had it on for only a couple of months but it works really well.

smykhaisouk
10-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Same here. I have had it on for only a couple of months but it works really well.

im tihnkin about getting this same clutch myself. i swapped mine for a exedy stage 1 about 3 years ago which is pointless because was never able to mod my car enough to match the clutch. Anyways, about 2 months after that clutch was installed, i started getting a rattle from the tranny during idle. the noise goes away when i step on the clutch all the way but comes right back whenever i let go. are you guys getting that same noise at all? if you had taht noise before, did replace it w a new clutch fix it?

Silvercard
10-04-2010, 04:08 PM
im tihnkin about getting this same clutch myself. i swapped mine for a exedy stage 1 about 3 years ago which is pointless because was never able to mod my car enough to match the clutch. Anyways, about 2 months after that clutch was installed, i started getting a rattle from the tranny during idle. the noise goes away when i step on the clutch all the way but comes right back whenever i let go. are you guys getting that same noise at all? if you had taht noise before, did replace it w a new clutch fix it?

I'm getting that same like bearing noise doing the same to me. And it's oem. I had a post up asking with a video. I still have yet to find out what's wrong but got suggestions. I may do the oe one soon

smykhaisouk
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm getting that same like bearing noise doing the same to me. And it's oem. I had a post up asking with a video. I still have yet to find out what's wrong but got suggestions. I may do the oe one soon

ive search all over this forum and it seems to be the input shaft bearing so i guess replacing just the clutch wont fix it. time to crack open up the tranny. FML

56chevydan
10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
If pushing the clutch pedal in causes the noise to go away, I wonder if it's the throwout bearing instead of the input shaft bearing?

Zavy
10-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Once the clutch starts slipping how long can i baby it before i end up on the side of the road?..... im a little pinched for money right now(never changed a clutch)... im trying to see if my buddys dad will help me change it...

Stanz0r
10-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Once the clutch starts slipping how long can i baby it before i end up on the side of the road?..... im a little pinched for money right now(never changed a clutch)... im trying to see if my buddys dad will help me change it...

It might be 5 miles, or it might be 5,000. It's not something you can really put a number on. It's on it's last leg and there's really no telling when it will go out completely.

I got 160,000 miles out of my stock clutch. Mine was a demo model with 700 ish miles on it when I bought it, I learned to drive a stick shift in it, and my brother drove it and ragged it out for about 3 months (20,000 miles). Needless to say I went with a stock OEM that I got local for $185. It wasn't so much the slipping that was the issue with mine, but the problems getting in and out of gear. I hope to try for at least 200,000 miles on it this time around.

Mattlikespeople
10-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Since this thread seems to be fairly active I've got a small question about my clutch. Any way to get some more feel through the pedal? I could feel the clutch engaging and disengaging in my maxima but I've got absolutely nothing through the pedal on my ep. Is this just due to the type of clutch or perhaps the way the system is engineered? The fact that you dont need to depress it but half way to get decent shifts is nice but without tactile feedback I just cant seem to learn right where that point is.

Passenger
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Since this thread seems to be fairly active I've got a small question about my clutch. Any way to get some more feel through the pedal? I could feel the clutch engaging and disengaging in my maxima but I've got absolutely nothing through the pedal on my ep. Is this just due to the type of clutch or perhaps the way the system is engineered? The fact that you dont need to depress it but half way to get decent shifts is nice but without tactile feedback I just cant seem to learn right where that point is.

Just a mushy clutch. Mines the same way, I can just twist my ankle and lay my foot on the clutch rather than "pushing the clutch in" to engage it. How long have you had the EP, cause I understand the question you're asking but its just one of those things you gotta feel out over time. Since you can't feel it like you could your old car just pay attention to sound and rpms when shifting up or down and I imagine you'll figure it out.
Sorry for the :censored: answer

smykhaisouk
10-05-2010, 05:55 AM
It might be 5 miles, or it might be 5,000. It's not something you can really put a number on. It's on it's last leg and there's really no telling when it will go out completely.

I got 160,000 miles out of my stock clutch. Mine was a demo model with 700 ish miles on it when I bought it, I learned to drive a stick shift in it, and my brother drove it and ragged it out for about 3 months (20,000 miles). Needless to say I went with a stock OEM that I got local for $185. It wasn't so much the slipping that was the issue with mine, but the problems getting in and out of gear. I hope to try for at least 200,000 miles on it this time around.

holy crap 160k on a stock clutch!!! thas awesome!! mine went bad at 60k. i was always driving hard and shifting like a maniac but thats the past. lately im all about maintaining this thing as long as i possibly can because the im also at a pinch for money.

smykhaisouk
10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
If pushing the clutch pedal in causes the noise to go away, I wonder if it's the throwout bearing instead of the input shaft bearing?

i sure hope its just that. has anyone had this transmission noise/chatter fixed after swapping out the clutch+throwout bearing?

Mattlikespeople
10-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Just a mushy clutch. Mines the same way, I can just twist my ankle and lay my foot on the clutch rather than "pushing the clutch in" to engage it. How long have you had the EP, cause I understand the question you're asking but its just one of those things you gotta feel out over time. Since you can't feel it like you could your old car just pay attention to sound and rpms when shifting up or down and I imagine you'll figure it out.
Sorry for the :censored: answer

I've had it for over a year now and still dont like the clutch. If i'm tired and not really paying attn then my shifts arent smooth because i'm depressing it way past the point of disengaging as if the full range of motion is actually used. :\

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
the noise you guys are hearing at idle when in nuetrul is not your bearing or input shaft. its the disc anything other than oem clutch is going to rattle.

smykhaisouk
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
the noise you guys are hearing at idle when in nuetrul is not your bearing or input shaft. its the disc anything other than oem clutch is going to rattle.

would running a light aftermarket flywheel be a huge factor to the noise issue too? i paired an ACT streetlight fly (11 lbs) to the exdedy stage 1. im planning on switching to the oem replacement by exedy and switching back to the oem fly. hopefully that helps w the noise and driveability.

Zavy
10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
hey another quick question... i plan on changing the clutch this weekend.. my buddys dad is going to help me.. the question i have is... how easy is it to change a clutch on our cars?...... he said something about having to take apart most of the front end... is that the case?

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-08-2010, 05:57 AM
hey another quick question... i plan on changing the clutch this weekend.. my buddys dad is going to help me.. the question i have is... how easy is it to change a clutch on our cars?...... he said something about having to take apart most of the front end... is that the case?

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=538537
http://customdc5.my-php.net/diy/clutch/
here ya go a detailed write on doing a clutch install.

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
would running a light aftermarket flywheel be a huge factor to the noise issue too? i paired an ACT streetlight fly (11 lbs) to the exdedy stage 1. im planning on switching to the oem replacement by exedy and switching back to the oem fly. hopefully that helps w the noise and driveability.

no, the disc is the only piece thats not bolts to the motor or tranny. so it rattles while the motor and input shaft rotate until a load is put on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg

K20wagon
10-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Just follow the link that was posted up above. It is a good DIY on a clutch change. And if this is your first time doing the clutch it will take bout 2 days to do. Its not hard as long as you know the basic on lefty loosy righty tighty, the only thing is it takes a while so have patience.

smykhaisouk
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
finally a clear explanation to the rattle!!!! the video helps alot, thanks. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that anything other than an oem clutch is going to rattle so my question is: has anyone fixed the rattle by replacing it with a new stock honda clutch+disc? none of those exedy oem replacements..

no, the disc is the only piece thats not bolts to the motor or tranny. so it rattles while the motor and input shaft rotate until a load is put on

Zavy
10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
The clutch i picked up the brand name is diken( i think thats how u spell it) the guy told me that Honda uses that clutch in all there cars... im installing it tomorrow. ill let u know if i get a rattle.

finally a clear explanation to the rattle!!!! the video helps alot, thanks. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that anything other than an oem clutch is going to rattle so my question is: has anyone fixed the rattle by replacing it with a new stock honda clutch+disc? none of those exedy oem replacements..

smykhaisouk
10-09-2010, 07:16 AM
that sounds right. someone told me the same thing before i purchased exedy stage 1. are you sticking with the stock flywheel?

02ES1
10-09-2010, 07:59 AM

You should try bleeding your clutch cylinder to get more pedal feel as well. It's exactly the same as bleeding the brakes except easier! Just get some DOT 3 and bleed from the clutch slave cylinder down in front where it pushes on the outside of the throwout fork.

The clutch i picked up the brand name is diken( i think thats how u spell it) the guy told me that Honda uses that clutch in all there cars... im installing it tomorrow. ill let u know if i get a rattle.

That's funny cus I was told that Exedy is the stock clutch in all Honda cars. When I did my clutch change on my old 02 Civic LX @ 60,000 miles the clutch I pulled out was an Exedy, although it's possible that it wasn't the stock one since I bought it with 50,000 miles on it...

Edit:I just looked online and fyi, Daikin is a branch of Exedy. From the Exedy website: "EXEDY Globalparts Corporation has evolved from the business known as Daikin Clutch Corporation. All EXEDY manufactured products still carry the famous Daikin winged logo. The US business was established in 1967 and EXEDY/Daikin products have been manufactured in the US since 1988 for both OEM and the Aftermarket."

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
diaken makes the clutch for honda to install at the manufacturing facility. exedy makes the oem honda replacement for consumer purchase

Zavy
10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow started the install on the clutch.... our cars are such bs... 6 hours just to get the clutch out... and i had a guy with 35 years experience as a cert. mechanic! cussed the car the whole time! now my car is stuck in a garage and wont be put back together for 3 days!

smykhaisouk
10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow started the install on the clutch.... our cars are such bs... 6 hours just to get the clutch out... and i had a guy with 35 years experience as a cert. mechanic! cussed the car the whole time! now my car is stuck in a garage and wont be put back together for 3 days!

wow whats holding him up?

JasonMann
10-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Zavy View Post

It isn't that hard, a buddy of mine and I had mine out and installed in 5 hours. It sounds like your mechanic doesn't have a lot of experience with fwd. Did you guys follow the Haynes manual?

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Zavy View Post

It isn't that hard, a buddy of mine and I had mine out and installed in 5 hours. It sounds like your mechanic doesn't have a lot of experience with fwd. Did you guys follow the Haynes manual?

lol i was gonna say that. apparently he may have worked on older civics but not ep3

27rocks
10-12-2010, 11:28 AM

When a car is in netral and the clutch pedal is not pushed in, the clutch is actually engaged but it speins freely with the motor so this cant be true. One thing that is still spining yet has no load on it is the the throw out bearing. That is what actually causes most of the rattleing. Yes in some cases the springs on the clutch disk are loose but that is mainly when the clutch is worn out or defective and even then it should only make the noise when the clutch pedal is pushed down insted of in neutral.

AKEP
10-15-2010, 01:24 AM
yeah, if you push your clutch pedal in and hear noises, you probably have a messed up clutch springs or throw out bearing. that explanation is def not the end-all of transmission noises:mrolleyes: your input shaft only rotates when the clutch is engaged (or coasting in gear if its disengaged)

mine sounds like spinning bearings when im in neutral and the clutch is not depressed. im just guessing its a noisey throw out bearing or input shaft bearing.

smykhaisouk
10-15-2010, 06:07 AM
ZAVY, whats the status on that clutch replacement? has the mechanic finished? getting any rattling or chattering?