PDA

View Full Version : Final Score: Rock 1, EP3 0

JIYAKKU
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr86/jiyakku/63217_1400869462477_1254532579_31062986_4154136_n. jpg

Haven't been on here in a while but a couple of weeks ago on my commute to Ventura late at night I nailed a river rock the size of a football on the 60 West at night (Trashy SoCal roads). Figured it would be interesting for all to see. I was going about 75 mph at the time but when I finally saw it it was too late to swerve out of the way. Upon hearing the big "thud," I immediately smelled oil and pulled over. Fortunately there was no catastrophic damage to the A2 when I towed it over to Skunk2 to have a look (Thanks to Dave Hsu owner of Skunk2 and Dr. Charles for helping me out). I put a Z3 oil pan on and have about 1500 miles on car since the incident so all looks to be OK. Dodged the bullet on this one but as you can see the rock also did a number on the subframe as well.

Thinking about raising my car after this incident...... NAH.

FoReVaPmP
10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
:meek:

Heitzke
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Damn, that's rough. Still, I'd say you came out pretty good compared to most of the K-swapped EG/EK's... I've seen a few that have ripped pieces of the block out when hitting the oil pan on stuff.

ttttrigg3r
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
:meek:

i'm making the same face.

Draw7Seven
10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Shit man, glad to hear everything's working well since the incident. My dad managed to get his insurance company to pay out an engine swap when this happened to his Beetle under his comprehensive coverage... but I won't promise that it wouldn't increase your rates, and since you have friends in high places probably best to not mention this to your insurer, lol.

Again, I agree you dodged a bullet there.

dirtyMETHOD
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
What a HOle. Nice dodge, poor swerve. Glad the A2 is A-OK.

widebodyeg
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
the 60 fwy is shitty, ive hit a few things on that stupid fwy, good thing everything was alright

JIYAKKU
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Shit man, glad to hear everything's working well since the incident. My dad managed to get his insurance company to pay out an engine swap when this happened to his Beetle under his comprehensive coverage... but I won't promise that it wouldn't increase your rates, and since you have friends in high places probably best to not mention this to your insurer, lol.

Again, I agree you dodged a bullet there.

I only have liability and uninsured motorist. They wouldn't cover it.

Kerby
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
WOW. smart move by pulling over like STAT to save the motor. Good call buddy.

BeaterEP
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
DAAAAAAYUM! :meek:
Glad you were able to pull it over fast man! Was there any oil left?! That's a big damn hole!

Sucka
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Damn!

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I hate the 60 man......I hit a piece of truck tire that was shredded and it wrapped around my car and I was like OMG DENTS!!!! But luckily I got out and it wasn't damaged at all....stupid freeway get to work caltrans.

Type_R_Nammer
04-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Sorry don't mean to bump an old thread, but when you ran over at rock, did it dent your sub frame by any chance?

And a question to the rest of the ephatch members, would a dent in on the lower front sub frame affect the car's handling in any way?

Stubby
04-30-2011, 03:22 AM
I am beginning to love skunk 2 more and more. Seems like they are more than willing to help someone out that is in need. You never see this from people anymore especially companies in the car modification world.

talonXracer
04-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Sorry don't mean to bump an old thread, but when you ran over at rock, did it dent your sub frame by any chance?

And a question to the rest of the ephatch members, would a dent in on the lower front sub frame affect the car's handling in any way?

It would have to be a seriously hard hit to bend, distort the subframe, but it has happened. I would be more concerned for suspension damage.

I am beginning to love skunk 2 more and more. Seems like they are more than willing to help someone out that is in need. You never see this from people anymore especially companies in the car modification world.

It appears they take care of those they meet face to face. They left a very bad taste in my mouth over the cam debacle and they have YET to address it, those A2 cam shafts are still used as stickball bats for playing parking lot "stone" baseball.

jed_averill
04-30-2011, 12:28 PM
You should just go 60mph on the freeway. Safer and better MPG, but if you can't wait and in such a hurry, then why not.