PDA

View Full Version : type s rear sway bar

rjmq06
10-05-2010, 07:47 PM
is there any visual differences between ep3 rear sway and type-s sway bar except the sizes???

Jmage
10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Man if you asked this like 1 month before I would have been able to answer you since I changed my rear for a type-s and now I don't recall if there was any other difference except for the size. If you got a picture of a Type-S rear I can take pics of my stock one if you really want to see/know. Just ask.

rjmq06
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
oh yeah please any help would be great

Jmage
10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Ok tomorrow after work I'll take pics of my oem but now it'S too dark and I'm too tired loll

rjmq06
10-06-2010, 03:18 AM
by the way did you change your links, bushings and end links?

56chevydan
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
is there any visual differences between ep3 rear sway and type-s sway bar except the sizes???
The sway bars pictured are an '04/'05 stock sway (smaller) and a '05 RSX-s. You'll need the RSX-s rubber attachment bushings and you can use your stock EP3 attachment metal installation brackets and end links.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/56chevydan/2008-5-3003CivicSISwayBars-05SIv05RSXs003.jpg

Jmage
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Well chevydan was faster than me and is picture is perfect for the comparison. I did order new EP3 endlinks wich fitted wonderfully.

rjmq06
10-07-2010, 02:29 AM
yeah thanks for the info guys i got it and intalled it but i havent tested it out yet
i just used the dc5 links and rubber bushings

talonXracer
10-07-2010, 05:17 AM
I used DC5s endlinks, they were half the price and have yet to break.

whitehonda
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
when upgrading to the type r swaybar do you need to replaces the brackets that hold the swaybar to the subframe or wil your factory ones work the same?

jschmit
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
does anyone know if the front sway off an rsx type s is also an ungrade vs the stock 02 ep3's? im looking for some cheep fun sway bars and this seems to be the way to go.

powdbyrice
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
many have used a thinner front bar from a base civic.

EPSU3
11-20-2010, 07:39 AM
when upgrading to the type r swaybar do you need to replaces the brackets that hold the swaybar to the subframe or wil your factory ones work the same?

You can use your old brackets. The bushings outside diameter are all the same but the inside diameter that holds the bar is different. I recommend new end links especially if you live in a snowy area. Mine were rusted to hell and the boots were torn. It's a fun upgrade for a month or so then you don't feel it any more. It will probably feel sloppy if you swapped back.

27rocks
11-20-2010, 04:50 PM
many have used a thinner front bar from a base civic.

hahaha downgrading.

powdbyrice
11-21-2010, 12:02 AM
downgrade that's an upgrade?

27rocks
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
downgrade that's an upgrade?

How so? I have a 27mm front sway and have done a full season of auto-x (which im guessng most people will switch out their sways for) and cant imagine drving with anything smaller than even stock. Your turn in respons will go to shit not to mention super body roll.

jschmit
11-22-2010, 08:37 AM
i am looking at the upgrade to the type s bars and found a set of 05 and 06 type S bars that appear to be even larger than then the 02-04 type s. will these still fit or do i need to stick with the 02-04 type S bars?

Thanks, Jayme

27rocks
11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
i am looking at the upgrade to the type s bars and found a set of 05 and 06 type S bars that appear to be even larger than then the 02-04 type s. will these still fit or do i need to stick with the 02-04 type S bars?

Thanks, Jayme

Both the year modles should fit. You will need the rubber bushing along with it though so make sure you get that as well.

Zzyzx
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
How so? I have a 27mm front sway and have done a full season of auto-x (which im guessng most people will switch out their sways for) and cant imagine driving with anything smaller than even stock. Your turn in response will go to shit not to mention super body roll.

Steering response is easily compensated for by the driver, damper valving & alignment tweaking. And body roll isn't an issue so long as you haven't slammed the car & have a proper alignment. As well as most of it that will be alleviated by proper spring choice regardless.

What you get out of it is significantly more front end traction overall. And given that the front end is always the weakest link for handling on a FWD chassis, any thing you can do to increase it is a good idea in my book.

Granted stiffer front anti-roll bars have their place, such as when you can not or will not run significantly stiff springs Or the necessary alignment for said springs. With such setups, stiffening the front anti-roll bar tends to be the better choice as it reduces the spring stiffness requirements as well as alignment requirements. and as such the benefits of stiffening the bar out weigh the reduction in overall front end grip. as in you've reduced your maximum traction output but you've increased your actual usable traction by alleviating spring and alignment issues.

Ultimately there is no such thing as an upgrade or downgrade as far as anti-roll bars are concerned. They are simply tools for fine tuning your setup, and as such the proper bar will be determined by how the rest of the car is tuned. If you can get away with a soft front bar, by all means tune the car around that idea. If you are unable or unwilling to tune around a soft front bar, well then a stiffer front bar may be the better option.