PDA

View Full Version : Where's the guide to k20a2 into EP3 swaps??

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Just looking for information because this is going to be the next step for my car in the next 2 months.

Please help meh!

What can be reused and what do I need to replace?!

Distance
10-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Just looking for information because this is going to be the next step for my car in the next 2 months.

Please help meh!

What can be reused and what do I need to replace?!
theres a guide on honda-tech in the ep3/dc5 section.

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
ugh HT. that's one place I haven't looked. Guess that's my next stop. Hopefully it's detailed.

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
found it, wow is it seriously this easy??....he even took the motor out through the top. WOW! lol.

Here's the link.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2410236

So according to that, I re-use my idler pulley inplace of the PSP
use the EP serpentine belt
EP shift linkage and axles
race header + kpro

urthworm
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Its pretty dang easy.. just a quick run down.
1. get kpro.. if not you will have to get the dc5 ecu and have honda reprogram your key. Or buy the imobilizer by pass. Either way kpro will be best.
2. use ep3 wiring harness
3. use ep3 axles
4. some cars need the shifter notched to reach reverse, some don't. Mine didn't.
5. GET KPRO.

What exhaust set up are you going to use?

talonXracer
10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Dump the power steering pump and swap over the idler pulley, follow the Helms manual for removal and replacement of the stock engine, plus swapping of ECU's(or Kpro) and a possibility of needing modification of the shifter to get into reverse.

urthworm
10-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I knew i forgot something.. idle pulley, which means you will have to get a smaller size serpenten belt.

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Nice so since I'm getting kpro, already have BCSS, and also have a2 guts in my 5 speed case I'll be golden. Do i need any RSX hoses ? Where can I get a K20A2 long block w/ legit papers and a good bill of health?

I'm going to be running an EP specific RH and catback. Most likely a KRRH and a BuddyClub ProSpec.

urthworm
10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Nope... from what i remember hoses and everything else is a direct swap. Sorry dont know where to buy a legit a2..

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks dude. appreciate the help all...

02TWSI
10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
as a general rule of thumb, what are you guys replacing maintenance wise before swapping in the "fresh" motor....oil, filter, what else?

talonXracer
10-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I steamcleaned the exterior of the engine, then checked/adjusted the valves, change oil/filter and plugs.

With the smaller dia A2 crank pulley, EP3 idler pulley with EP3 serp belt, the belt tensioner will be past the point of belt replacement. The fix for this is to add 2-3 washers between the alternator and block at each of the three mounting bolts. This will take up the excess serp belt perfectly and ensure you dont have any issues.

02TWSI
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I see, is there any belts out there that fit snug and wouldn't require a diy fix?

j0000stin
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
swapping a k20a2 is just that easy, i'd have to say the hardest and most boring part of the swap was cleaning up and putting tools away.

but i always hate doing those things haha

j0000stin
10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Nope... from what i remember hoses and everything else is a direct swap. Sorry dont know where to buy a legit a2..

there used to be a site sponsor on here who used to sell longblocks. i think he was under the longblock shop who had good prices even though he jew bagged me into buying a blown cybernation kit

ginger
11-20-2010, 07:29 PM
i used the ep3 idler pulley and serpentine belt no problem with the tensioner... i also used the a2 wire harness... and yea it really is that easy! change oil, filter, clean engine bay. done. oh look into motor mounts like avid or hasport, this is the time to change them and they help alot. oh while your into it. look at a clutch i went stage 3 act. and fly wheel.

if your looking for a wire/ hose clean up this is the time. i took a wees worth of evenings after work and did a shave tuck re-locate and it looks like a different car. but if your going for the "stock" look. just clean with soap and water...