PDA

View Full Version : Strong market for used EP3s?

Mechanic
10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Until today, I owned two EP3s: an '02 and an '05. I bought them both new, and in both cases I did so because the dealer was discounting them roughly $4k from the MSRP. That seemed like a damn good deal at the time. And I had no real intention of selling either one, except I've been watching the wholesale prices of used Hondas and they've been rising steadily, even for EP3s.

I wouldn't even bother mentioning this, except I got $9400 for my car from a dealer and I wasn't trading anything. I simply walked into a CARMAX store and asked what they'd offer for a clean, undamaged, low-mileage Civic Si, and with essentially no effort on my part other than showing them the car -- a black unmodified Si with 32K miles -- I was offered what I knew was the top Kelley Blue Book "private seller's price." In my case, that works out to about nine years of dead reliable, daily use transportation for about $6600. Damn hard to beat that.

What made this even more strange was I finally got around to buying tires for a set of new Honda HFP 16" alloys that I've had sitting around in boxes for three years, and the dealer was going to deduct $500 for those wheels & tires because they weren't the original equipment that came with the car. Fortunately for me, I still had the 15" alloy wheels that came with the car originally (with 29K on the OEM Michelins), and incredibly that's what they wanted on the car. Go figure. This seemed truly nuts to me, but both the initial appraiser and the store's used car manager insisted that's what they wanted.

(As an aside, I now have a set of 16" HFP alloys for sale if anyone wants them. PM me. They only fit on '02 and '03 EP3s, so they are going to end up as "garage art" unless someone wants them cheap. )

All of this, I believe, is strictly a function of our coming out of the Great Recession. The market for all used cars is hot because, right or wrong, retail customers apparently are convinced that buying a used car from a known retailer (such as CARMAX) is the way to go. Dealers, in turn, are paying top dollar for stock used cars. Put another way, I'm convinced there's no way I could have gotten even $6K for a bone stock '02 EP3 two years ago. Strange times.

EPSU3
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I had mine all but sold for $8k at 94k miles on an 03. Pretty crazy. I'm from PA originally and live in SC now and the kbb value jumped $500 by region.

until240
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
The thing about the wheels makes sense. Carmax has a policy of buying bone-stock cars. From what they told me, they pay to get modified cars back to OEM.

56chevydan
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I just PM'd you.

sleepy ep3
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
People, dealer or private, will always pay more for an unmodified car. Wouldn't you? It's like a fresh canvas

Mechanic
10-07-2010, 02:25 AM
I just PM'd you.
Responded to your PM with one.

cleanep3
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
how much for the 16" HFP alloys shipped to 10562 thanks

taikahn
12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Good to hear.

showoff3civic
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
expect this to keep happening, as people find these cars really are awesome and they were not whored out, the prices will go up. Its like trying to find a inexpensive clean EG, not going to happen and think that car started out around 9500-12,000 and they are pulling 4-8k depending on condition and mods.

Mechanic
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
how much for the 16" HFP alloys shipped to 10562 thanks
They were sold within a few days of the original post in October.