PDA

View Full Version : Attn Ephatch Susp. Guru's!! Please Look At My Alignment Specs and Advise!!!

POOPTOOTH
10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Whats up guys?

Well finally got around to installing my BC Racing Coils and DC5-R rear sway. As with any suspension alteration, my alignment was totally F'd after the install. So I took her to get aligned yesterday and here are the specs...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m317/justdugan/img084.jpg

I guess I'm just looking to see if everything looks okay with those who know more about this than I do.

Now it may just be me, or maybe its just getting used to the new setup, but the car seems like it will slightly 'wander' in the lane a bit, every so often, while going over uneven roads. Which almost leads me to think the toe isn't 100%. Flat, even roads its tits.

I also haven't been running a front sway in the last month or two, would that have any effect? Could my beat tie-rod ends have anything to do with this?

Thanks for any input, regardless the car handles like a BEAST. Its amazing what a nice set of coils and a beefy rear sway can do. :msmile:

POOPTOOTH
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
:hay:

Tougeep3
10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
everything looks good. I'm OCD, so everything would have matched. IF you care I'd have the F.L. camber match the other side. The rear toe should be equal also, it's too easy to adjust not to.. Like I said OCD..

POOPTOOTH
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah I hear ya, but is it worth going back and causing a stink? Do yo think it'd make that much of a difference? Do you think it would have any thing to do with the car wandering a bit on the undulating roads? Sorry for the questions, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to tech speak and suspension.

Tougeep3
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah I hear ya, but is it worth going back and causing a stink? Do yo think it'd make that much of a difference? Do you think it would have any thing to do with the car wandering a bit on the undulating roads? Sorry for the questions, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to tech speak and suspension.

Nope.

When it "wanders", does it actually go everywhere or does it favor one side? Hands on the wheel or not? Do you know if there is any play in the front end, did the shop that aligned it check??

POOPTOOTH
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Nope.

When it "wanders", does it actually go everywhere or does it favor one side? Hands on the wheel or not? Do you know if there is any play in the front end, did the shop that aligned it check??

It is very very slight, like when one wheel dips it wants to pull slightly to that one side. Again, it is very slight, with the hands on the wheel. It tracks straight if I'm on the highway, but again when its uneven road, it seems to get a little more lively. Even if I hammer on it in first it seems like it want to pull a little more to one side, almost like my torque steer is gotten worse.

One thing to note, my tie rod angle was HORRIBLE before the install, and now with the BC's straight arm design, they're back to how they should be. Would this cause the car to behave differently?

I don't believe there was any play, but I'll go out and check myself when I get a chance, thanks again.

Zzyzx
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of tracking & tram lining. Basically everything you've done to the car has increased its tendency to steer in to imperfections in the road. There's not a whole lot you can do about it aside from running harder compound tires, narrower tires, reducing front camber or raise the car up a bit.

27rocks
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
everything looks good. I'm OCD, so everything would have matched. IF you care I'd have the F.L. camber match the other side. The rear toe should be equal also, it's too easy to adjust not to.. Like I said OCD..
hahaha i'm the same way!! I actually became friends with one of the guys from a local shop in town since i have gone so many times. We both work together to get my alignment just perfect lol. He makes me sit in the car and look at the screen to tell him when he has reaches my desired specs lol.

It is very very slight, like when one wheel dips it wants to pull slightly to that one side. Again, it is very slight, with the hands on the wheel. It tracks straight if I'm on the highway, but again when its uneven road, it seems to get a little more lively. Even if I hammer on it in first it seems like it want to pull a little more to one side, almost like my torque steer is gotten worse.

One thing to note, my tie rod angle was HORRIBLE before the install, and now with the BC's straight arm design, they're back to how they should be. Would this cause the car to behave differently?

I don't believe there was any play, but I'll go out and check myself when I get a chance, thanks again.

Actually man its spot on. My car does the same on city streets and everything is equal and perfect. That's just what our cars do. When you hit a dip or pot hole the front wheel will naturally follow so its perfectly normal. As long as the car drives straight on the freeway you are all good to go.

POOPTOOTH
10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of tracking & tram lining. Basically everything you've done to the car has increased its tendency to steer in to imperfections in the road. There's not a whole lot you can do about it aside from running harder compound tires, narrower tires, reducing front camber or raise the car up a bit.

I was hoping you would see this thread... :msmooch:

:Googles "tracking and tram lining":

Actually man its spot on. My car does the same on city streets and everything is equal and perfect. That's just what our cars do. When you hit a dip or pot hole the front wheel will naturally follow so its perfectly normal. As long as the car drives straight on the freeway you are all good to go.

Well thats good to know then. I wonder why it didn't seem this bad with my d-specs and tanabe springs? The car was slammed and the tie rod angle was horrible. You think it would've rode worse? Now its a bit higher, my tie rod angle is butter and I have a beefy rear sway, and I've just started noticing it. Ah well, just learn to live with it I suppose. It still drives and handles MUCH better, ride quality wise, so I can't complain.

makavelibranded
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks exactly like mine,.. minus I have neg 2 camber up front, its really crazy getting an alignment is like an engine tune it makes a worlds difference.

27rocks
10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
The thing i've noticed is that once you stiffen up a few things the car becomes more solid and works more as a whole. While like most stock cars have more room to play with, so things like pot holes and uneven parts of the road are absorbed by the soft suspension, weak bushings and huge sidewalls on tires.

So basically the more you put into a suspension system the stiffer its going to get and more sensitive its going to get. Thats why race tracks are always so smooth. Otherwise the cars would bounce around like crazy lol.

POOPTOOTH
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
The thing i've noticed is that once you stiffen up a few things the car becomes more solid and works more as a whole. While like most stock cars have more room to play with, so things like pot holes and uneven parts of the road are absorbed by the soft suspension, weak bushings and huge sidewalls on tires.

So basically the more you put into a suspension system the stiffer its going to get and more sensitive its going to get. Thats why race tracks are always so smooth. Otherwise the cars would bounce around like crazy lol.

You know man, that totally makes sense. Just when you think you start knowing the ins and outs of something really well (my ep in this case) something like this happens and makes you realize, 'you have a lot to learn my friend'...lol.

makavelibranded
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Yep for dd ive had to soften up the dampener settings otherwise on some roads I can feel every leaf I run over haha.

Tougeep3
10-14-2010, 06:17 PM
He makes me sit in the car and look at the screen to tell him when he has reaches my desired specs lol.

I've never had anyone that picky come in, but I completly understand..

Yep for dd ive had to soften up the dampener settings otherwise on some roads I can feel every leaf I run over haha.

Kinda the reason you get adjustable struts. Run them softer during the DD portion, twist them stiffer for the track part.

27rocks
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I've never had anyone that picky come in, but I completly understand..

Haha well its not even me its him.. He used to set alignments for race cars so he makes me do it lol.