PDA

View Full Version : K20a2 cams and other goodies vs skunk2 cams and valvetrain

Garrett
10-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Okay i'm split between a2 cams and assembly or skunk2 cams and valvetrain. What are some of the benifits of either. My ep3 has 70k miles and is my daily driver. I heard the idle and overall engine isn't the best with the a2.. but its so much cheaper and gives same results... Let me know what you guys think!

RHCP0801
10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
what stage skunk2 cams?

SUSHI_NE1
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm interested in hearing some info on this as well. I'm thinking of going with a full k24a2 swap, but am now rethinking. Might just save the money and go with some S2 Stage 2 cams and valvetrain.
I was sitting at work today and thinking about the A2 head swap, but I think I remember that this was sort of pricy. And a bit of work. so... anyone got any answers on this?

AUTiger
10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
well there is no telling if my skunk2 stage 2's were at fault for my engine failure. But one thing you wouldn't have to worry about with the a2 cams is the "fast ramp technology" of the skunk2 cams.

I am going to be selling my stage II's soon since I don't plan on camming my a1 ever. Just JRSC+meth or turbo to reach 300hp.

Garrett
10-07-2010, 03:42 AM
yeah skunk2 cams, another great cam i heard the the 06 tsx cams, they were said to be inbetween stage 1 and 2 skunk cams, and yes i was planning on stage 2 but i have heard a lot of complaint on it

RHCP0801
10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
well there is no telling if my skunk2 stage 2's were at fault for my engine failure. But one thing you wouldn't have to worry about with the a2 cams is the "fast ramp technology" of the skunk2 cams.

I am going to be selling my stage II's soon since I don't plan on camming my a1 ever. Just JRSC+meth or turbo to reach 300hp.

thats funny, i had skunk2 stage 3 cams in my car and the engine is finished

Garrett
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah im thinking im gonna lean towards a2 or tsx cams, not sure yet

SUSHI_NE1
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I've been reading a lot of past posts and pretty much the cam swap isn't worth the headache. Those success stories you read about are those that totally build the bottom end of the A3 so the engine can handle all the power that's being put on it. When calculating it cost the same as a TSX swap and that's straight power without any modifying. Smoging will be a little bit of an issue but I Would rather pay someone $200 extra to let me pass then have engine failure. Then with a swap and a few bolt-ons and KPro... POWER!... so... I've completely let the idea of building up the A3 out of my head.

Deadphishy
10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Putting a2 cams into an a3 head is not an easy task. The Vtec killer set-up is the best way to do this. You will need to install A2 valves springs and retainers. You will need another set of exhaust rockers. You will also need Kpro for this set up.

Basic head swaps + all the bolt ons and a tune will net you about what a stock k20a2 makes with no bolt ons. about 180whp. The a3 doesn't have high compression and that is key to making more power.

For the record. Skunk 2 stage 3 cams for a k20a3 are very close to the Vtec lobe of stock k20a2 cams.

I know it sounds like a great idea, but the head or cam swap just doesn't work out price/performance wise.

namaz_CL7
11-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi there!!
I have a BC K20A Stage 2 cams comes with skunk springs here. Malaysia. Interested? i sell for a very sick price lol!!

namaz_CL7
11-05-2010, 03:02 AM
i think ep3 stage 2 cam mixed with skunk2 springs rocks.. just recorded a 265km/h while trying to catch a subaru STI lol!!