PDA

View Full Version : Buying an EP3 need advice.

cvicep3
10-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi, I'm newbie. I'm buying this car 2002 white EP3. What do I need to know before buying? It has 115k miles and it's for $5000? Is it a good deal?

Thanks!

sleepy ep3
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
No link to car you are buying? How are we supposed to critique it? If it's clean and stock, get it

cvicep3
10-07-2010, 01:06 PM
It looks clean, only couple dings, still stock paint. It has manaflow dual exhaust (new).

Deadphishy
10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Things you need to know.
1). its a quick car but it isn't very fast. About 7.5 seconds 0-60
2). For the power it gets decent Fuel economy if you know how to drive. I was getting 32 Highway 27 city.
3). It doesn't have "real vtec" it has emission vtec. Your motor runs on 1.5 intake valves (One opens just a little) under 2.2K RPM and then Above 2.2k rpm it run on Both valves opening fully. So no Vtec Kick.
4). Stock tires are junk, stock size 195 is great for MPGs awful for racing.
5). Aftermarket mufflers give you no power increase, The EP has the same muffler as the civic type R.
6). Don't run 5w20 oil like the cap says, i would stick with 5w30.
7). treat it right, and it will last.
8). K series motos make a lot of ticking and clicking noises. Don't be over sensitive to sounds.
9). Change the Transmission fluid about every other or every 3 Oil changes.
10). Don't use anything But OEM spark plugs, they are the best and they last a very long time. Thats why they cost a lot.
11). THE MOTOR WILL BURN OIL, YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT VERY OFTEN TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT LOW. THIS IS NORMAL, JUST KEEP ON UP ON IT.

theyb
10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Any carfax? or any other history of the car from the owner (if he even tell you all the history), pics as suggested?

a bit tough to assess a car with just mileage year and mileage.

cvicep3
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Thank you very much for the info.

EDU
10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
i'll sell you mine if you are interested before it goes on Hybernation mode, just pm me.

cvicep3
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
i'll sell you mine if you are interested before it goes on Hybernation mode, just pm me.

PM sent.

totommo
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1970372309.html

this guy is gonna post his car up in the classified thread today if you're interested.

cvicep3
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I finally got it, here is the pic. I need to get the front lip so it will cover the scratch. Does anyone know where to get it? I went to the dealer asked them for the side skirts. They said, both come painted for $152, but the guy has no pictures for it. Anyone got the picture of OEM side skirts? Thanks.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267/gotpicz/DSCF8677.jpg

ImportCustomx
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
not a bad price at all.
if it hasnt been molested then do it in a heart beat or i will!
Beautiful car!

enjoy her, treat her right, and dont go putting random shitty parts on it. if you treat it like a good little girl and put quality stuff on it, then shell treat you right. also make sure you dont half ass anything (installs, wiring etc) do it right the first time.

cvicep3
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks, it comes with the weapon R intake, but I don't like it. Any commends on which one I should get? I would like to get a short ram or maybe stock airbox if I can find one.

not a bad price at all.
if it hasnt been molested then do it in a heart beat or i will!
Beautiful car!

enjoy her, treat her right, and dont go putting random shitty parts on it. if you treat it like a good little girl and put quality stuff on it, then shell treat you right. also make sure you dont half ass anything (installs, wiring etc) do it right the first time.

ragebomb
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
The only OEM spoilers you can buy (front, back, sides) that fit the USDM EP3 are the "HFP" (Honda Factory Performance) pieces. You can find them brand new on sites like this one:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civicsi.html

The Japanese and UK models have specific lip kits for the front and rear (for the Civic Type-R), but those don't fit the US model Civic unless you also get the Japanese bumper and rebar pieces. Expensive, but a lot of guys on ephatch have done it.

To my knowledge, the OEM side skirts are interchangeable throughout all years and all regions (USDM vs JDM). So JDM side skirts will fit an US EP3. But not the front or back lips.

So your options are:

1. OEM HFP kit pieces. Good quality, no modifications needed. But make sure it fits your car. The 02-03 years have cosmetic and other differences from the 04-05 models.
2. JDM OEM lips. Probably overkill for what you want to do.
3. Aftermarket (unpainted). You'll have more options, but beware of poorly fitting lips. You'll have to factor in painting and professional installation. I'd buy from Showstoppers, they are a site vendor.
4. Aftermarket (carbon fiber). More expensive, but paint is usually optional. But on a white car, carbon fiber might look odd. Also buy from Showstoppers.

cvicep3
10-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info, but the sides said for 04 and 05. How do I know if they fit my 02?

The only OEM spoilers you can buy (front, back, sides) that fit the USDM EP3 are the "HFP" (Honda Factory Performance) pieces. You can find them brand new on sites like this one:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civicsi.html

The Japanese and UK models have specific lip kits for the front and rear (for the Civic Type-R), but those don't fit the US model Civic unless you also get the Japanese bumper and rebar pieces. Expensive, but a lot of guys on ephatch have done it.

To my knowledge, the OEM side skirts are interchangeable throughout all years and all regions (USDM vs JDM). So JDM side skirts will fit an US EP3. But not the front or back lips.

So your options are:

1. OEM HFP kit pieces. Good quality, no modifications needed. But make sure it fits your car. The 02-03 years have cosmetic and other differences from the 04-05 models.
2. JDM OEM lips. Probably overkill for what you want to do.
3. Aftermarket (unpainted). You'll have more options, but beware of poorly fitting lips. You'll have to factor in painting and professional installation. I'd buy from Showstoppers, they are a site vendor.
4. Aftermarket (carbon fiber). More expensive, but paint is usually optional. But on a white car, carbon fiber might look odd. Also buy from Showstoppers.

codyep3
10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
All lips and spoilers fit for years 02-05. It says 04-05 because they dont carry an 02 color euro yellow.

cvicep3
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Thank you. Does anyone know what the heck is the little cap on the rear left and right panel do? I'm missing one the left side, went on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, but can't find it.

All lips and spoilers fit for years 02-05. It says 04-05 because they dont carry an 02 color euro yellow.

ragebomb
10-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank you. Does anyone know what the heck is the little cap on the rear left and right panel do? I'm missing one the left side, went on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, but can't find it.

What is the cap part of? Are you talking about the side skirts, or some other part of the car?

cvicep3
10-18-2010, 07:39 AM
It's the one inside the car on the rear side panel, one on each side. Look like door handles, but I don't think it is because they're too small haha...

What is the cap part of? Are you talking about the side skirts, or some other part of the car?