PDA

View Full Version : dexos 1 vs THE WORLD

kenscivic
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
So GM is coming out with their own line of oil. gf 5 specs are coming out and said to be better than deos 1 ... Any knowledge on the subject please share?

Rumor is most of the big companies are refusing to pay for permission to make dexos 1

Deadphishy
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
http://autos.aol.com/article/gm-engine-oil/

It's just a new standard to improve lubrication of high reving low tolerance motors. GM won't be allowed to limit who can make oil that meets the standards. As long as a company meets the specs GM says it has too then that oil won't void the warranty. This prevents car companies from requiring you to get them serviced through the dealer only. Which is illegal.

It's suppose to have a 10k life span too.

The major problem i have with 10K oil changes is the Oil filter might not last that long. And no one changes the oil filter between oil changes.

kenscivic
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Its the truth, Well I already knew gf 5 oils already exceeds the specs of dexos 1 and from the magnus moss act figured they could not void warranties due to that. But our distributor is not getting dexos 1 b/c every quart we'd have to pay gm .30$ extra for on top of the price.

Yah the typical oil filter tends to start getting sluggish around 6ishk miles so I would never run over that in any of my vehicles.

Passenger
10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Im not getting excited until an everlasting oil / self recycling exists so I won't ever have to bother with it again.the K-series would still probably eat thru it :tehe: