PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Ground Controls, Need some input?

si.hatch
10-09-2010, 06:11 PM
ok so my friend with a 05 civic (non- si), bought some ground control c/o and they fit on the back but not the front.

he said i could try them on, and i did the fronts first and they didnt fit(didnt do the rears)

the box says 02+ stock shocks

are the c/o not machined right or is it installer error? haha

edit: the c/o sleeve would not fit over the strut, just to clarify

heyvortek
10-10-2010, 05:24 AM
if u had stock shocks then it will fit. if u aftermarket shocks then it wont fit. i had the same problem. hope this solves your problem

si.hatch
10-10-2010, 05:53 AM
but me and him had stock shocks?

Esras02si
10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
The first mistake was buying them in the first place. They're terrible they will ruin your suspension. They were on my car when I bought it. They were the first to go when I got it.

chuck83
10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
They're terrible they will ruin your suspension.

care to elaborate?

si.hatch
10-10-2010, 04:08 PM
i didnt buy from them a friend let me try them on to see if they fit, and if they did i would have gotten them for super cheap

Zzyzx
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Where are they getting stuck? on the gold caps?

si.hatch
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
^^ no, the coil sleeve is not sliding over the strut

Zzyzx
10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Well then chances are you have the GC's designed to fit the 50mm strut rather then the 53mm strut. The first few years of this chassis had some teething problems with the dampers, forcing honda to dump the 50mm strut mid year in favor of a 53mm strut.

si.hatch
10-12-2010, 07:05 PM
^^^ thats what i was looking for. thanks!

mage182
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
The first mistake was buying them in the first place. They're terrible they will ruin your suspension. They were on my car when I bought it. They were the first to go when I got it.

I concur. My car came with GCs as well and I just took them off and replaced with HFP suspension. The stuff I took off there was some of the poorest quality product I've ever seen on a car. No wonder why I kept bottoming out and the ride was horrible.

PatrickJamesYu
10-13-2010, 02:43 AM
I always thought the ground controls were pretty good?
I'm installing some with my Koni Yellows this month
Should I not?

rbwdriven
10-13-2010, 05:01 AM
You will need different coil sleeves .

The konis are different diameter.

I know for my ef, when you order the ground control you have two options. Koni or everybody else.

make sure you are not going to have the same issue when you buy the koni's.

Zzyzx
10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I always thought the ground controls were pretty good?
I'm installing some with my Koni Yellows this month
Should I not?

the issue with Ground Controls, springs in general really, is that they need a good damper to perform well. Most of the time someone buys springs slaps them onthe car with OEM dampers then complains about how shitty the ride is with the new springs.... when its really the dampers not being able to handle the springs.

anyway, Ground controls tied in with Konis is a good combo solong as you do not lower the car too much. Remember Koni's are of OEM length so excessivly lowering the car can cause premature destruction of the Koni's through bottoming them out (Bottoming out the damper not the car).

Heitzke
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM

I wouldn't go that far. Pair a set of GC coils with a decent spring rate with some good dampers (and DON'T slam it) and you'll have a good handling car. I assume your car had GC coils dumped on the stock shocks.

si.hatch
10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
if i get an aftermarket strut other than koni will they fit?