PDA

View Full Version : need advice for proper track/ road course suspension set up

abstract
10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
car will be a daily drivin with an occasional spirited driving and a couple of trips to etown road course a year.

questions ..
16's or 17's??
will i need/ should i get roll center adjuster??
what are your camber recomendations for the ep3 while not completelly killing my tires on my daily?
i remember reading that the stock camber settings sucked unless they were switched front to back.... lost the thread ... what are the stock settings???

progress springs/d-spec shocks
front rear camber kit
rear swaybar
lca's with poly bushings rear and front
front/rear strutbars

eurosteez
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
bump for good questions i wish i had answeres too...and a chunk avatar

makavelibranded
10-11-2010, 08:16 PM
car will be a daily drivin with an occasional spirited driving and a couple of trips to etown road course a year.

questions ..
16's or 17's??
will i need/ should i get roll center adjuster??
what are your camber recomendations for the ep3 while not completelly killing my tires on my daily?
i remember reading that the stock camber settings sucked unless they were switched front to back.... lost the thread ... what are the stock settings???

progress springs/d-spec shocks
front rear camber kit
rear swaybar
lca's with poly bushings rear and front
front/rear strutbars

1st I recommened is either get a good coilover setup or custom rated spring there is nothing aftermarket that has a high enough rate imo.

Tires are also VERY important they will make a huge difference.

Getting an alignment on my setup and some neg camber helped out loads.

Also the more I have raced the better I have gotten faster on the throttle, later on the brake, less brake more speed, trust me driver seat time is one of the best modds you can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8Q17sYuPw
Vid starts at 3:30

I beat up on some subi's in this event,.. they all run slicks so with it being wet we were on and even par,.. there was only 1 other guy in my class (the green jetta in the vid) and if it wasint for the cone id have 3 seconds on him. (cone = neg 2 secs)

Zzyzx
10-12-2010, 08:25 AM
you ask a lot... and there is no simple answer.
are you willing to progressively build up your car, or do you want to just be told what to buy?

Drew1d
10-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Set it up as a street car. After you race it, then determine what you want to change.
On wheel size 16-17-18-19, that all depends on what roads you drive on. I'd stay stock on the road. Maybe switch to something light like Rota Slips, but you need the sidewall for NY roads. At least the roads I drive on. So 15" 16". If you're buying separate wheels and tires for racing, well that's something different.

Poly bushings are nice, and they aren't that uncomfortable for me. I lube them once in a while, and haven't had any problems. (Been a couple of months.) Cheap to buy difficult/expensive to install.

Sways and springs are related. And directly proportional to comfort IMO. So lets say you get nice grippy wide summer tires. Every turn you'll roll like weebles. At that point, you can increase your springrate, or get larger sways. To get at the front sway, are you willing to disconnect the exhaust? (All new gaskets, all new bolts etc.)

For a little less understeer, I'd suggest starting with a larger rear sway bar. (Start here) Then see how it handles.

A pair of good damper/shocks is awesome. That will make a positive improvement as it assures good rubber/road contact. But it's expensive.

Extended Ball Joints to change roll centers only if the car is lowered. And why lower the car? It won't make the car handle better. Less air resistance? Put a body kit on.

I differ greatly withmakavelibranded when it comes to alignment. But my driving is very different. Where do you want more rubber contact on your drive wheels? Turning or in a straight line. I pick a straight line. I'm not driving on the edge of tire grip. I drive on highways. So wouldn't you want only a little negative camber in the front? If you want to adjust alignment, I'd say only change the camber in the rear.

Being a better driver will always help driving quick. But perhaps when driving, determining what you want the car to do differently is more helpful. I guess I always viewed it as a non-answer. It's like what guitar will help me play better? Well if you practice more you'd be better. Well...yes, but for my style, the size of my hands, the sound I'm looking for, which is a better guitar? 7/8th's fender Strat clone with a humbucker. Thanks.

tallblondkid
10-21-2010, 07:38 AM
this thread is all sorts of win..

its plain and simple... only YOU know how you want your car to ride and turn... start doing some events and base your "what should i get" questions around the way you did or did not like how your car drove. keep in mind, tires and proper alignment are probably the most drastic adjustments to a cars handling

also, go over to clubrsx autox forum and REEEEAAAAADDDDDD

kai-wun
10-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd prolly go;

Sticky Tires, people seem to like the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs a lot
Custom Alignment, -2f/-0.5r and 0toe is a good place to start
A-Spec Suspension (with DC5 tie rod ends and stuff - closest thing you can get to a new ITR set)
Larger rear sway, depending on your tastes ... 22mm ITR is cheap, 23mm Eibach, 25mm Cusco, 27mm Hotchkis... etc etc

Seat time, seat time, seat time!