PDA

View Full Version : TPS? IAVC? Someone help!!

cadebenzon
10-09-2010, 09:02 PM
So I just bought my ep a few weeks ago, and I knew there was a small problem with (suposedly) the throttle position sensor. usually in second or third gear, if you were holding 2-4k rpms, the car would stutter a bit, nothing big. Kid I bought it from said his mechanic looked at it and said it was the TPS. Thing is, twice now, I hace gone to start the car, and it doesnt turn over right away. It acts sort of like if the battery was dead, but if you just click it a few times it will finally start up.

I took it to autozone to have the battery checked, and its fine. Dude there was saying that my symptoms sounded more like the IAVC sensor was going. And tonight I was at the beach, and started my car up only to have it rumble like a cylinder wasnt firing. I shut off the car and immediatly started it again, and it ran perfectly fine.

TPS cost ~$80
IAVC cost ~$300

Also, and maybe the autozone guy was quick to point to the IAVC was the fact that sometimes my car varies every 3-4 seconds when it idles. It jumps around maybe 100 rpms when it idles, just enough to hear, but the tach barely moves...

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-09-2010, 11:54 PM
process of eliminations. you're giving to many variables to this problem. do you get a check engine light (cel) do you have kpro. can you get a better description of the problem. basics: air, ignition,fuel.

cadebenzon
10-10-2010, 06:52 AM
process of eliminations. you're giving to many variables to this problem. do you get a check engine light (cel) do you have kpro. can you get a better description of the problem. basics: air, ignition,fuel.

No CELs, but the maintenance light is on.... I don't have kpro. Best description is what I've already outlined.
1) Car stutters when maintaining speed manually (never when the cruise control is set)
2) Refuses to start sometimes (turn the key nothing happens, but if you turn the key a few times, it will eventually crank over and fire right up)
3) Last night for the first time, car started was missing big time, I shut it off, and turned it right back on without the same problem occurring again.
4) Usually, when I start the car, the car cranks over a little slowly (I'm lumping this symptom in there because it seems like it is more than likely related to the overall problem)

I don't know what else to say, if there is something I can do to find out more info for you, let me know...

talonXracer
10-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I would do a ECU reset and a idle relearn.

It wouldnt hurt to spray a little oil down into the IAC port in the floor of the TB bore and let it sit for a few a bit.

The TPS is not available from Honda on it's own, it is only available with a complete new TB. There are aftermarket TPS's available, but they all fail within a short time. Hybrid Racing have just developed a new TPS that is supposed to be superior to all, I am currently testing one and it seems to be a decent TPS.

Lucid Moments
10-10-2010, 08:05 AM
On the failure to start, try cleaning your battery terminals. I've seen that be an issue even if they look like they are good.

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-10-2010, 10:52 AM
check spark plugs who did you buy the hatch from