PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to drain old/bad gas?

Twisted-X
10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Alright guys, so I've got 8 gallons of bad gas in my car that I need to remove. What's the easiest way to do it without dropping the tank? I'm *not* dropping the tank...

In the past with older cars I've just removed the fuel line in the engine bay and hooked another line to it leading to a gas canister, then turned the key to accessory and let the fuel pump do the work. I've been told that won't work on newer cars.

I've also been told that a siphon won't work either because there's something in the fill neck that blocks the siphon tube.

I've got the rear seats out ATM...

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
drill a hole in the tank then drain it j/k i believe if you get a siphon kit take out you fuel pump and siphon it out

until240
10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
i would just siphon out as much as you can, then add sta-bil and fresh gas.

if you can't go through the filler hole you can probably go through the fuel tank cover thing that gives you access to the fuel pump.

Deadphishy
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Siphon out as much as possible, then you can do the fuel pump trick. Just unhook the fuel rail, and when you turn the key the pump will put out about 5+ onces at a time.

But letting the Pump run with zero fuel will shorten it's life.

K20wagon
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
You can just take the fuel pump assembly out and get a siphon hose that has the pump on it or you can get one of those electronic pumps or whatever and put the hose down the hole where the fuel pump was and get out as much as you can.

Twisted-X
10-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the helpful responses guys. :mbiggrin:

I talked to a buddy of mine who works on imports quite a bit. He suggested unclipping the fuel line from the top of the pump, clamping a length of rubber fuel line to the outlet then into a jerry can, and running hot/ground wires from the battery to the hot/ground of the pump. I've looked up the correct terminals in the FSM, and I'm going to attempt it tomorrow.

Worst case, if i damage the pump It'll give me an excuse to upgrade to a Walbro. :mbiggrin:
If it doesn't work, I'll have to break down and try to get the ring loose on the top of the pump to siphon. Will take pics!

Twisted-X
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Well using the fuel pump seemed to work pretty well. I just took an 8' length of red 12 gauge wire and soldered an alligator clip, then did the same thing to 8' of black wire. I hooked the opposite end of the red wire up to the battery, then clipped the gator onto the right fuel pump terminal. I wrapped the negative gator clip in electrical tape to prevent accidental short circuit, then clipped it to the left terminal.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/Fuel%20Pump/FuelPumpA.jpg

I next unhooked the cars fuel line from the pump, then used one of the fuel tubes that came with my siphon kit and a hose clamp gently tightened onto the output of the fuel pump. Snug enough that I couldn't pull it off, but not so tight that it damaged the plastic snout.

I stuck the other end of the hose into a 5 gallon Jerry can and proceded to touch the rear belt bolt with the other end of the ground wire.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/Fuel%20Pump/GroundPointA.jpg

Emptied 8 gallons in 5 minutes. :mbiggrin: