PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise when I start my car when its cold.

Blue03Si
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know what could be causing a grinding noise when I start my car. This only happens when its cold. Thanks!

k3rry
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
serpentine belt?

Blue03Si
10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
serpentine belt?

Serpentine belt wound grind? I think it might squeel if something were slipping, but I don't think it would grind.

4lugSLUG
10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
change the oil. happened to me. changed oil. all was good. unless you hold the starter too long it might make a grind like noise but do the oil first then come back

27rocks
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
The starter gear?? Thats the only thing i can think of that would grind when starting the car.

socmex7
10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
The starter gear?? Thats the only thing i can think of that would grind when starting the car.

thiss.. I had that same grinding when it was cold that went away once I replced the starter. that little gear was torn up! :mfrown:

smykhaisouk
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
thiss.. I had that same grinding when it was cold that went away once I replced the starter. that little gear was torn up! :mfrown:

i have the same problem on cold starts

usedep3
10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
its probably your starter. i had the same problem. get a remanufactered replacement from pepboys/autozone/etc. it costs significantly less than an oem honda or a honda remanufactured one.

Blue03Si
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it had something to do with the starter. I just couldn't figure out why it started perfect all the time except for when it was cold out. A replacement might be in the cards. Car has about 115k on the odo.

usedep3
10-15-2010, 12:55 PM
from what i've read, its bc of the clutch assy in the starter. it tends to 'stick' when its cold. it'll get worse. i had the same issue a few months ago after i bought my second ep. it had 110k on it at the time. no problems now and it starts up right away, like its a new car.

FYI you could buy the individual parts to rebuild/replace it. but an oem replacement from a parts store is cheaper and easier.

27rocks
10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I just sold a brand new OEM starter to Beechstreet (Kris) yesterday lol

Distance
10-15-2010, 03:14 PM
i have the same problem.

Deadphishy
10-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I have the same problem too. I was so mad when i herd it last, because when i put the new motor in i had a starter sitting around, so i swapped it in, only to find out that it too had a sticky gear.

Blue03Si
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Well if its just a sticky starter clutch and isn't going to damage anything else i guess i'll just live with it until the starter motor goes out.... or a do an engine swap/build. Which ever comes first. haha.

twistdcody
10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I have the same problem too. it started last winter and just started doing it again on the cold mornings. ill just wait til she goes and replace the starter i work at advance auto parts anyways.

beechstreet
10-21-2010, 08:11 AM
I just sold a brand new OEM starter to Beechstreet (Kris) yesterday lol

wish I could find the time to put it in! the grinding is worse and worse each day! thanks again for the deal!

27rocks
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
wish I could find the time to put it in! the grinding is worse and worse each day! thanks again for the deal!

No problem man! Thanks for driving all the way over to pick it up.

ep3colin
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
mine just grinded for the first time yesterday morning =[ i should start parking in the garage so she wont be so cold when i start her up

llaprad1
12-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Same problem here. It was about 24 deg F this morning.

BeaterEP
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I've found that if you only let the motor crank like twice, I can usually avoid that grinding. Just a tip, YMMV. :mbiggrin:
I've got that cold morning grind too, though. Seems to be minimal if I let off the key pretty quick.

ep_curious
12-10-2010, 07:21 AM
have the same problem too; though this morning (it was like in the 20's) I think it finally gave up and wont start; ANY IDEAS? Please help... =(.

BeaterEP
12-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Sure it's not just the battery giving up?
I know it sounds basic, but gotta ask. Start with the simple stuff! :D

ep_curious
12-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont think so...radio came on when i turned the key and it doesnt seem to be discharged or anything...

llaprad1
12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Jump start it and you'll know.

VIZHUNZ02SI
12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
its the start soleniod that kicks out the spining gear while starting. cold temp delay the soleniod from retracting back in once the motor has turned over. your starter if fine. its happens to me and im in north florida. when it hit 30 degrees my starter does the grinding. but once it warms up it doesnt grind

Silvercard
12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
its the start soleniod that kicks out the spining gear while starting. cold temp delay the soleniod from retracting back in once the motor has turned over. your starter if fine. its happens to me and im in north florida. when it hit 30 degrees my starter does the grinding. but once it warms up it doesnt grind

Same here in Phoenix. When I start early in the morning during winter, around a bit more than 40 degrees, I get that noise. But when the day is warm it doesnt make that noise.

drjd888
12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I've found that if you only let the motor crank like twice, I can usually avoid that grinding. Just a tip, YMMV. :mbiggrin:
I've got that cold morning grind too, though. Seems to be minimal if I let off the key pretty quick.

Yeah gotta be quick with it. Sometimes thats hard to do when waking up early in the morning tho lol

james04si
12-11-2010, 08:47 PM
yeah just replaced mine yesterday because it would grind when it is cold. Trust me dont even try removing it from the bottom. I spent a couple hours under the car before I decided to go ahead and remove the intake and take it from the top. It may sound like that is more of a pain than getting it from the bottom but trust me you will save a lot of time and frustration. I picked mine up from Autozone lifetime warranty and $128 much cheaper than a honda remanufactured or new one from majestic. I hope I never have to replace it again.

lemonhead228
12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
i have the same problem when its cold outside. my trusted manchanic said that the starter might be dirty and need to be clean.

how did you take it out from the top? you took off the intake or the whole manifold??

blue2turbo
12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I just noticed this problem the other day. So I guess I will start looking into getting a replacement starter.

ep_curious
12-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Sure it's not just the battery giving up?
I know it sounds basic, but gotta ask. Start with the simple stuff! :D

Jump start it and you'll know.

you guys were all right! battery must have gotten discharged just enough not to send the amps it needed to start the car. i jumped it with my highlander and it purred right up...still makes that damn grinding noise but i can live with it. :thankyou:

lemonhead228
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
yeah just replaced mine yesterday because it would grind when it is cold. Trust me dont even try removing it from the bottom. I spent a couple hours under the car before I decided to go ahead and remove the intake and take it from the top. It may sound like that is more of a pain than getting it from the bottom but trust me you will save a lot of time and frustration. I picked mine up from Autozone lifetime warranty and $128 much cheaper than a honda remanufactured or new one from majestic. I hope I never have to replace it again.

did you just took out the intake or the whole manifold?

USAF EP3
12-17-2010, 12:35 AM
It's basic electronics. They taught us this in my tech school for wire/component maintenance. The resistance of a wire and/or component increases/decreases in relation to the increase/decrease in temperature. In other words, the colder it is, the more resistance increases. The hotter it is, less resistance. So because of this, the solenoid take longer to retract since the signal is being delayed to tell it to retract.

VividSI
12-20-2010, 08:39 PM
same problem here too. i suspect the starter.

RedSiBaron
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Well if its just a sticky starter clutch and isn't going to damage anything else i guess i'll just live with it until the starter motor goes out.... or a do an engine swap/build. Which ever comes first. haha.

Mine just started making the noise this winter, im not too worried about it right now...im at 90k, im sure it'll last until I get my engine swap

USAF EP3
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Another thing too before I forget. The voltage in the signal sent to the solenoid isn't a full 12V that the battery supplies. If you find yourself with the starter not turning over, jump a wire from your positive terminal to your starter solenoid to give it a volt boost. Usually though, if you have to resort to this, you're starter is on it's way out. Hope that info helps.

civictype_r04
12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I've had it for the past 3 years I think it is the starter.....