PDA

View Full Version : Normal Engine Sound?

Silvercard
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOoFLNvAJk

So I have yet to hear another ep3 engine but was wondering is this ticking is normal? im a bit past 130k and change the oil every 3k miles with rp.

Thanks

K20wagon
10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Ya that sounds normal. The k series are known to have alot of wierd noises and stuff. The sound you are hearing is probably the normal valve chatter. With 130k miles though you are probably due for a valve adjustment. There is a great DIY for the valve adjusment on this site.

rjmq06
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
well it doesnt sound really bad but theres lots of things could be your valves, serpentine belt or something else but i think fine its not knocking tho

Silvercard
10-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Cool. I want to do the adjustment but dont want to mess up tho. The belt is good and i recently replaced the tension and pulley.

Thanks

skep18
10-17-2010, 06:48 AM
My EP never sounded that chattery...

talonXracer
10-17-2010, 08:17 AM
That is real chattery as mentioned above, LOL, time to remove the VC and do a valve lash job and do a general looksie at the cam lobes with 130K on the ticker.

The Kseries uses a direct roller rocker, there is always a little noise incurred with that design, then there is the noisey fuel injectors, so there usually is a fair amount of noise.

SUSHI_NE1
10-17-2010, 08:23 AM
That sounds normal... you should hear mines... NOW THATS NOT NORMAL... I think my engine is done. Sent a vid to my friend and ge says that it is probably my valves that need adjustment, but I checked the clearances are fine.... might have REALLY Fd something up. SOUNDS LIKE A TRACTOR!.... :-(

Im solving my problem with a swap :-o

YEAH... just adjust your valves and the sound will die down a little. GOODLUCK.

Tnhatch03
10-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Can I get in on the valve adjustment solution or is it too late?

Silvercard
10-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Hmm, you think the stealership can do the adjustment? As I have yet to find a shop around Phoenix that I can trust. Im planning to do a k24a2 swap but the tress dont have money on it yet

talonXracer
10-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Supposedly all stealerships have personal that have the requisite skills to do a valve lash adjustment, it is up to you to decide if it is worth it. Personally I do not trust the stealerships at all. Besides there are many people out in the Phoenix area that are great K-series mechanics, I would search one of them out and watch what they do so you can do it yourself the next time.

BajaPantiEP
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOoFLNvAJk

So I have yet to hear another ep3 engine but was wondering is this ticking is normal? im a bit past 130k and change the oil every 3k miles with rp.

Thanks

mine sounds a little like that, not so loud thou,,you def need a valve adjustment, try some octane too, to get ur injectors cleaned up

Silvercard
10-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Supposedly all stealerships have personal that have the requisite skills to do a valve lash adjustment, it is up to you to decide if it is worth it. Personally I do not trust the stealerships at all. Besides there are many people out in the Phoenix area that are great K-series mechanics, I would search one of them out and watch what they do so you can do it yourself the next time.
GOTCHA! Ill start looking around.