PDA

View Full Version : How does the Oil Pressure Switch on the VTEC solenoid function?

iDom
10-16-2010, 10:18 AM
I have been trying to read up on this but can't find a good answer anywhere. I know that the Oil Pressure Switch/Sensor will throw the P1259 code and put the car in limp mode, but I my question is this..

How does it work? Does oil go up inside the sensor? Or is it just air pressure within the entire system?

I have taken apart my VTEC solenoid twice now, first time to check for a dirty screen, it was clean so I put it back on, changed my oil, and still the same thing. The code is intermittent.

The second time I took it completely apart and used a volt meter to check for continuity on the parts and they all checked out. So this means that yes there is still an electrical connection, but could the sensor be faulty and not be able to consistently read 3-6 PSI so that it doesn't throw the code?

Could a loose oil filter also cause this lack of pressure within the system? I don't want to spend more money have diagnosis ran that it would be to fix the damn thing.

BLKNJEP03
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
i have the same issue...found out the best way to avoid it was to NOT drive the car unless it is warmed up.

talonXracer
10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
The sensor probably needs to be replaced, it reads oil pressure only, there should be ZERO air within the system. and there should be far more than 3-6psi being read.

Your first step should be to do an actual oil system pressure check with a mechanical gauge.

iDom
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Alright, thank you.

I was going to replace the sensor but I was just worrying about it not being the problem and not fixing it.

Jharobikesr2
10-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I read around 25-50Psi at Idle depending on outside temp and when you go to WOT it moves to around 75-85psi. If that helps you.

iDom
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm going to get it taken care of this weekend, I hope..

Think I should buy the sensor and see if that fixes it or spend the 80-100 bucks to get it diagnosed first? In case it's something else.

iDom
11-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Just bought a new Oil Pressure sensor and the o-ring, and a new spool valve screen thingy.. I hope this fixes the problem, I will be pulling my hair out if it doesn't..

iDom
11-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I just replaced that spool gasket with the little screen and the oil pressure sensor and unplugged my battery to turn the code off but it came back on that same day a few hours later. I have no idea what's going on, but it's really becoming a pain in the ass.

Reaper27
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm having the same isssue and its driving me crazy. Did you ever get it fixed?