PDA

View Full Version : TOP or BOTTOM... Whats better?

SUSHI_NE1
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
So every time I've heard people have pulled their engines... I'm hearing they are dropping the engine from the bottom versus lifting it out with engine lift?... Why is that? Is it cuz most dont own or want to buy a engine hoist or is it easier out the bottom?... To me it seems wit would be WAY easier out the top... I COULD BE WRONG. I'm trying to get everything straightened out so when I do my swap in a fee months I got all my basis covered.

So what's better?... Out the top or out the bottom?

PartyPooper
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
top... i speak as someone who has access to a motor hobby shop.... which is located on most(all the ones i have been to) military bases... but even if i had to rent one i still would go from the top... much easier imo.

if you know someone in the military... see if they could hook u up.

lbk02si
10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
agreed! i don't really see how it would be any easier to drop the motor out of the bottom. i did mine out of the top.

Sucka
10-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I not an expert but if it was my car i would like my motor to be taken out from the buttom and be put in from the buttom up.

Reason: Cause i don't trust those cherry pickers or w/e you want to call it.

RHCP0801
10-16-2010, 09:37 PM
just did mine out the top a month or so ago with the tranny attached, very simple

Ba82Ep3
10-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Yep... top removal. You can leave the subframe struts and wheels in place so you can move the car around if you need to. Just pull the motor and the axles, put the wheels back on and push the car back out of the garage.

Deadphishy
10-17-2010, 08:27 AM
If you have a lift, the bottom is the way to go man. I did my motor out the top last month, 10 times harder then lifting the car off the subframe.

talonXracer
10-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I can do it top or bottom in about the same amount of time. There is pro's and con's to each style........

SUSHI_NE1
10-17-2010, 08:36 AM
What I worry about is that I'm a do all the work myself.... Cherry Picker looks easy, but like Sucka said... TRUST!... lol

yyi
10-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I not an expert but if it was my car i would like my motor to be taken out from the buttom and be put in from the buttom up.

Why not? do they have a tendency to fail? or just much slower?

PartyPooper
10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
What I worry about is that I'm a do all the work myself.... Cherry Picker looks easy, but like Sucka said... TRUST!... lol

as long as you inspect the equipment there should be no reason to doubt it.

heyvortek
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
my frens are use to bseries so they do it from the top. the advantage of taking it out the bottom is everything is in place but takin the subframe sucks. its really up to you. top seems a lil better

T_Virus
10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I can do it top or bottom in about the same amount of time. There is pro's and con's to each style........

Now that sounds kinky...lol...

Heitzke
10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I've done them both ways now, much prefer out the top. Just makes sure you have some good straps/chains. I did it from the bottom by myself in the garage and it was pretty rough getting everything back together. You can imagine how much fun it is to get the subframe bolted back up and aligned when laying on your back.

talonXracer
10-17-2010, 11:41 AM

LOL,,,,,,dont buy cheap tools and that isnt an issue, But I have never seen a cherry picker fail, though I have seen idiots induce a failure.

Now that sounds kinky...lol...

It does! Sorta one of those quotable's

Sucka
10-17-2010, 12:17 PM

LOL,,,,,,dont buy cheap tools and that isnt an issue, But I have never seen a cherry picker fail, though I have seen idiots induce a failure.

It does! Sorta one of those quotable's

Why not? do they have a tendency to fail? or just much slower?

Well i would understand if you got some extras hands to help you out but Brad is doing by himself.
I would also be scared when you push the cherry picker and the motor towards the car. I have seen motors move on cherry pickers before. I wouldn't want to scratch up the car or part of the engine bay or the cars chassis. (Just my opinion) Maybe im just a more cautious person than others....

tsxdriver
10-17-2010, 12:35 PM
we'll be going out the top.

talonXracer
10-17-2010, 01:16 PM
There is just as much, if not more chance of banging something going in from the bottom. and I have NEVER seen or had an engine move or roll when the proper tools are used.

sLiCk
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I prefer out the top on the ep3. Been wrenching professionally for quite some time now and have never seen a cherry picker fail. If something tips or moves unexpectedly it's usually user error to be honest. Even the cheapest cherry pickers are rated at much much more weight wise than what you are going to yank out of the ep3.

RHCP0801
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
you can lift the whole ep with a cherry picker

Deadphishy
10-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I guess i'm the only one who had a bitch of a time getting the motor and trans out the top. I had to take the alternator and AC pump off, the front and back engine monts, and the trans mount had to be unbolted for everything to clear.

SUSHI_NE1
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Well i would understand if you got some extras hands to help you out but Brad is doing by himself.
I would also be scared when you push the cherry picker and the motor towards the car. I have seen motors move on cherry pickers before. I wouldn't want to scratch up the car or part of the engine bay or the cars chassis. (Just my opinion) Maybe im just a more cautious person than others....

Im thinking of repainting the EP a different color while I'm at it. The A3 will be out and they can spray the engine bay a lot better with it out. Im thinking.... The G35-S's White Pearl or a Toyota Red Pearl... I'm really gonna take my time with this... But I would HATE to scratch the engine bay when its done painted.... :-(

Heitzke
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I guess i'm the only one who had a bitch of a time getting the motor and trans out the top. I had to take the alternator and AC pump off, the front and back engine monts, and the trans mount had to be unbolted for everything to clear.

you're definitely not, lol. Keeping the a/c all connected was always a pretty big bitch, but has paid off every time.

Sucka
10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Im thinking of repainting the EP a different color while I'm at it. The A3 will be out and they can spray the engine bay a lot better with it out. Im thinking.... The G35-S's White Pearl or a Toyota Red Pearl... I'm really gonna take my time with this... But I would HATE to scratch the engine bay when its done painted.... :-(

Do you need a hand? I'm mainly free on the weekends.