PDA

View Full Version : Coming up on 100k

Sub
10-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Well I'm coming up on 100k miles and been looking around on what I need to do so it can last another 100k.

While I'm not the most mechanical person I want to try to do it my self. (Software programmer by trade)

So going to change all my fluids, Sparks and wires, value lashing, Timing chain (updated: Not belt.Oops!).

The question I have is on value lashing and timing belt

How big of a pain is it and what or any special tools I need get it done or make it easier. Also anything else I need to check.

thxs in advance.

BajaPantiEP
10-18-2010, 06:22 AM
i think its a timing a chain, i havent really looked into the k20 engine yet, because this is my first one, but that what i heard, google will be ur best friend

Sub
10-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Yea.. I'm sure google will be my friend but I come to realizes that ephatch is way better then google when it come to information for ep3. I'm research the forums again to try to piece together everything, yet I like to hear from people about anything they have encounter to better prepare.

chiwhitesi
10-18-2010, 07:21 AM
timing chain will last the life of your engine if you take care of your car. @ 100k you just getting broken in so i wouldn't worry about replacing it.

Look into replacing your front compliance bushings, they wear out around this time. Also see if any other suspension components need to be replaced.

bchaney
10-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Check the owners/service manual for a maintenance schedule.

BeaterEP
10-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I'm almost to 200k and have had no issues with the timing chain.
Valve Lash could probably use a check, not sure if you've found it but there's a really good DIY here on the site. Just take your time with it, and make sure to seal up the valve cover correctly when you put it back on, and you should be good to go.
LINK:DIY Valve Adjustment (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?51080-DIY-Valve-Clearance-Check-Adjustment)

I'd also suggest checking the suspension for wear and tear. Things like the compliance bushings can really affect your handling. Also, check on your motor mounts. If they're getting worn, replace `em and put in a set of ESMM inserts as well.

Sub
10-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I'm almost to 200k and have had no issues with the timing chain.
Valve Lash could probably use a check, not sure if you've found it but there's a really good DIY here on the site. Just take your time with it, and make sure to seal up the valve cover correctly when you put it back on, and you should be good to go.
LINK:DIY Valve Adjustment (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?51080-DIY-Valve-Clearance-Check-Adjustment)

I'd also suggest checking the suspension for wear and tear. Things like the compliance bushings can really affect your handling. Also, check on your motor mounts. If they're getting worn, replace `em and put in a set of ESMM inserts as well.

Thanks!
That DIY is going to be a LOT of help thanks for the link.
I'll look into ordering some ESMM inserts and compliance bushings, and have my suspension checked.
On top of the other stuff I'm going have done.
and thanks chiwhitesi for you replay!

Check the owners/service manual for a maintenance schedule.
I know and did but the manual (doesn't tell you everything) didn't stay anything about the stuff above. That is why I asked
Can't always believe the manual if I did I still be putting 5w-20 oil in my car hehe ^^.

Razr98
10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
make sure your fluid levels are still good, and everything you listed seems to be about right.