PDA

View Full Version : Odd squeak and creak noises.

IBx1
10-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Since I got quick and helpful replies with my heater problem post, I'll see if anyone here knows anything about this noise my car makes. When idling or decelerating to low engine speeds, my car makes a high pitched chirp or squeak noise. I've listened and looked but I can't figure out what it is. It gets a bit stronger once the cooling fans kick on, but it also happens when they're off so it's not a fan belt. The accessory belts on the engine look fine with no wobble, and the sound seems to be coming more from the front of the car than from either side of the engine. Hasn't affected drivability, nor has it gotten any worse, so it's just an embarassing noise.

The other thing the car does is make a big, quick creaking noise when accelerating from low speeds, as if something big is rubbing up against something else, or a bolt. Unfortunately this started happening after a week or so ago when I tried to rev match down into 2nd at 30mph and didn't get the revs high enough, so I'm worried it could be the transmission. Doesn't affect drivability and the clutch feels fine, as well as the shifter. Any ideas? Thanks for everyone's feedback ahead of time.

IBx1
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM
:bump2:

IBx1
10-29-2010, 05:49 AM
The dealership found that my squeaking problem wasn't the front motor mount, but the gasket for the exhaust manifold had shrunk and the A-pipe was jiggling around and making the noise. I'm wondering if I can do the exhaust gasket myself, what kinds of tools I'll need, any special procedures that need to be done, or if I should just pay the dealership the $55 they quoted me for labor to have it done right?

tru3aznplayaz
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
mines does the same...which is the a-pipe? is it the gasket that goes from the exhaust manifold to the engine?

IBx1
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah. I have the gasket scheduled for delivery on the 5th, then I'll take it to the dealership. If this fixes the squeaking noise I'll let you know; shouldn't cost more than $70 for parts and labor to have it fixed if you buy the gasket yourself for $20 instead of the dealership's $40.

Also, the creaking noise is my steering column and it has to be greased up, which should fix the problem. When I take the car to have the gasket changed I'll show the mechanic the noise because they weren't able to recreate it. I'll just have them lube up under the steering boots and such.

tru3aznplayaz
11-01-2010, 09:30 PM
okay pls let me know..its annoying and embarrassing

IBx1
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Turns out I bought the wrong gasket; it's not the manifold-block gasket, but the manifold-cat donut gasket. It'll cost me the same getting the part from the dealer as it would from any website I was able to find, and it'll definitely be the right part.

Makes more sense that a flexible gasket would shrink over time and cause a sqeaking noise, rather than the block gasket which is metal and would sound like a massive exhaust leak. The part will be in sometime this week and I'll bring the car back and give an update.

tru3aznplayaz
11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
oh ok..so basically the stock header where it ends to the cat? that donut gasket there?

IBx1
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I checked the part number with the exploded view of the exhaust. After shipping, you can't get the gasket cheaper than the dealership gives you, and for $55 labor I'd say it's not bad. They also have replacements for the bolts that connect to the cat which are tough to get off and will probably snap.

tru3aznplayaz
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
thanks check the part number and ill bring it straight to the dealer

IBx1
11-10-2010, 09:15 AM
18229-s6d-t31

tru3aznplayaz
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
thanks..let me know how it goes..

IBx1
11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
That fixed it! Dealership just got the part yesterday morning so they did it. Turned out it was just $93 for parts and labor, and now my car sounds perfect!