PDA

View Full Version : *Please Help* 2002 EP3 Issue - Engine Knock Sound, Loud Valve Sound?

RollinCivic
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone, i haven't posted on here in a while but I really need your guys' help.

Yesterday as i was driving home i heard a strange noise then what sounded like a loud valve tick.
Thank god i was only about quarter mile from home, so after checking it out i drove the rest of the way home.

To me it sounds kind of like a bent valve or something among those lines...

Rather than my shitty explanation to you guys, here is a video of the sound:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/RollinCivic/Head/th_M2U00313.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/RollinCivic/Head/?action=view&current=M2U00313.mp4)

Please let me know what you guys think....

EDIT:

Just took the valve cover back off after doing a compression test (All of the cylinders were within 20psi.....) And i found this :

Also, Sorry for the watermarks, I forgot to turn them off.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/RollinCivic/Head/DSC_0007.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/RollinCivic/Head/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/RollinCivic/Head/DSC_0004.jpg

*Do you guys think that this could be the whole issue? Either way im going to be taking the head off in a little bit and ill let you guys know.. Also, all the other lobes on both cams are perfect, a little bit of wear marks but they're all completely smooth

**Also in retro spec, my car never shot any CEL codes and i didn't feel a noticeable power difference...(i never had a bent valve so I'm not sure if there is a noticeable loss of power..(i didn't go over like 1600 RPM's on the drive back after it happened))

Thanks to everyone,
Dmitriy

RollinCivic
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone ? Even any advice? Well either way I'm pulling the head to check everything else out also.

*However, Is it possible to remove head without dropping the engine, at this point it looks like an engine mount has to come off and everything else looks like its going to be a HUGE PITA.... is it possible to remove the timing chain cover without dropping the motor? Any Pointers? Ive got the Manual but is there any threads with head removal? (I couldnt find any...)

RHCP0801
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
very common problem with the ep3, you can easily pull the head off the car without taking the engine out. No motor mounts need to come out, just take off everything attached to the head....exhaust mani, intake mani etc....your gonna need a new exhaust cam though.

RollinCivic
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
very common problem with the ep3, you can easily pull the head off the car without taking the engine out. No motor mounts need to come out, just take off everything attached to the head....exhaust mani, intake mani etc....your gonna need a new exhaust cam though.

I removed everything from the head (I/M, E/M, Coolant Hoses, Wiring Harness and Bracketry) So everything pretty much. Now the only thing left is the timing chain, timing chain cover, camshafts, rocker arm ass'y and everything else below.

I called it a night because it looks like its going to suck so ill finish tomorrow, what are my next steps? Im assuming: (put in TDC) 1.) taking off the Crank Pulley (*Do you need a special tool for that?) 2.) then try and take off timing chain cover hah 3.) Take off/loosen chain tensioner 4.) Remove Chain. then just take off cams and rocker assy's/etc.. ? Does that sound right?? or is there another (/better) way? because im really dreading taking off this timing chain cover for some reason.......haha

AKEP
10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Hope im not too late!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQECnSvLzdc
15 minutes!

RollinCivic
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Hope im not too late!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQECnSvLzdc
15 minutes!

OMG! Thanks Bro! You are a life saver! I havent gotten to it yet, ive been working on other things and trying to put it off for as long as possible, haha.

I havent watched the whole video but i think i should be able to remove head without taking off timing cover....?
Great Video and Thanks for your help! Going to try it in a couple of hours! Ill let you guys know how it goes :-D

AKEP
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
well, that was for a cam swap. LOL. i wouldn't pull the head just to check inside the chamber, u can use a small flashlight and remove the spark plugs. if u wanna check the bottom end just take the oil pan off. u said compression was fine, so ur valves and rings are good, see if your con. rods and crank are ok.

AUTiger
10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
you can't pull the head without taking off the timing chain cover. I'd say it's time for either cam upgrades + k-pro. Then again, I would just put stock cams back in. I did the whole cammed a3 thing and it was fun, but I enjoy the torque from my a1 now. If you do think about upgrading cams, I am about to list my skunk2 stage II cams for sale in the fs section soon.

Deadphishy
10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I have an exhaust cam if you want it? We can try that before taking the head off. It's a pain in the ass man. And you'll need a new head gasket.

2004ep3hatch
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I recommend dropping the motor on the passenger side at least to get to the chain tensioner It's 100x easier. Ive taken that out more times than i can count lol. Some might disagree but im telling you its worth it. They make it look easy but it's a pain to get too with some cool tools.

RollinCivic
10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I recommend dropping the motor on the passenger side at least to get to the chain tensioner It's 100x easier. Ive taken that out more times than i can count lol. Some might disagree but im telling you its worth it. They make it look easy but it's a pain to get too with some cool tools.

Thanks! I was wondering about that, thats the way the service manual has it and it seems like the only logical way to get access to all of that pain in the ass crap.(Speaking of HUGE pain in the ass(es), who do i have to kill for making that bottom right bolt on the intake manifold so easy to get to?)
*By the way, do you need a special tool to remove the Crankshaft Pulley? (during timing cover removal) Is it just a wrench, or is it a Honda Order kind of part?

RollinCivic
10-19-2010, 10:51 PM
well, that was for a cam swap. LOL. i wouldn't pull the head just to check inside the chamber, u can use a small flashlight and remove the spark plugs. if u wanna check the bottom end just take the oil pan off. u said compression was fine, so ur valves and rings are good, see if your con. rods and crank are ok.

you can't pull the head without taking off the timing chain cover. I'd say it's time for either cam upgrades + k-pro. Then again, I would just put stock cams back in. I did the whole cammed a3 thing and it was fun, but I enjoy the torque from my a1 now. If you do think about upgrading cams, I am about to list my skunk2 stage II cams for sale in the fs section soon.

Wow, Lol. I dont even know what i was thinking when I said that....Its been a long day....

I would be interested in those cams but i want to get the car back up and running first, thanks for the offer and I would love to take them off your hands but i probably wouldnt be able to buy them for quite a while from now. Good luck with the sale though bro.

I have an exhaust cam if you want it? We can try that before taking the head off. It's a pain in the ass man. And you'll need a new head gasket.

Heck yea :) And, thanks for all the help! Michigan Crew Represent !:rockon:

Deadphishy
10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Well we have a new cam in the car, I get off work at 3pm friday, So if you want to take the head off let me know. It's going to take use a little bit of time. I'll bring over some of my tools that i found work really good. Save the fluides we put in last night.

BajaPantiEP
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
bummmpppp