PDA

View Full Version : Paintless Dent Removal?

skoo74
10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Some kid on a bike ran into my car... anyone know if painteless dent removal will fix this cleanly? Better yet, is it possible for an unskilled guy (me) to try fix it myself.. lol

A shop quoted $250 to fix this shiet..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/jerryep3/Si/IMG_9649.jpg

urthworm
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
i had a nasty door ding on the crease of my fender on my sti and paintless dent removal worked wonders.. cant even tell it was ever there. That dent shouldnt be a problem to fix, i wouldnt try it yourself if you dont know how to do it.

PatrickJamesYu
10-19-2010, 06:34 PM
luckly you didnt bust the oem paint
My friend does paintless dent removal,
From knowing him, That dent is too close to the edge to do paintless dent removal
I believe paintless dent removal can only pull 14 pounds out.
A kid rolling on a bike is what, 150 pounds going at 10 mph?

It might be more than 14 pounds than can be fixed with paintless dent removal, but I'm thinking the dent might be more than paintless dent removal can

If you attempt to fix it, HEAT GUN IT!
you might crack your oe paint :/

skoo74
10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
yeah, ive seen some pretty miracle clips on youtube lol..

i was reading somewhere that if i tried doing it myself and fuck it up.. it might not be possible to do it PDR anymore.. hmmm... is 250 worth it? I'm thinking I should just hold off and try to find one in the classifieds.. im sure it'll be cheaper than that amount... i dont really have a rush to fix this..

that kid was about 150 lbs and yep.. about 10 mph going slightly downhill.. what a punk!.. just hit me, said sorry and road off..

EP3tuner410
10-21-2010, 03:26 AM
There are some pretty good PDR guys out there.

When i bought my second EP a few months ago i had my buddy tim who does PDR clean up my car and he got everything out.

Now I don't have to put hours worth of mud work into the car before spraying it!

That dent on your fender is exactly where i had mine on both sides and they are 100% accessible for a good dent doctor.

I'd say it's hand down the way to go if it can't be PDR'd and by doing it yourself you could very well cause the dents to become worse.

jerrymouas
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
try this it look like it would work...idk but that pretty big dent. here the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY&feature=related

Guardian
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
pdr is cheap, should be less then 100, for way less then 250 you could buy another used ssm fender or even buy a new one on ebay "replica" and paint it.

skoo74
10-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I'd say it's hand down the way to go if it can't be PDR'd and by doing it yourself you could very well cause the dents to become worse.
yep, that's what i read somewhere too.. i think my dent is pdr-able... plus there wer no paint damage..

try this it look like it would work...idk but that pretty big dent. here the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY&feature=related

haha, that's awesome.. yeah.. my dent's way deep.... i'll give it a shot though... i have a few of those compressed air bottles laying around ...

pdr is cheap, should be less then 100, for way less then 250 you could buy another used ssm fender or even buy a new one on ebay "replica" and paint it.
that was my other option.... i found a fender for 95 shipped.. not oem but it should fit good..

i called a few places and they're all like 200-300 fack!... it probably makes sense if this was on the quarter panel but shiet.. it's on the freakin fender...

i might just try to fix it myself.. and see where that goes... worse comes to worse pick up a replica and paint.

matt.walton
10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
I would advise having a professional PDR look at the dent and give you a quote to see if they can do it. I had a big dent about 4" below the rear side windows that was right on the crease that i had to pulled and filled because of the crease, but i think yourse looks like it could be just popped out. As far as going for a new fender, non OEM stuff never really fits that well and it would also have to be paintmatched which often times doesnt really match the original paint that well imo. goodluck with whatever you go for tho

skoo74
10-22-2010, 09:49 PM
good input Matt... yeah, still thinking over my options... it's just crazy how much the price to fix dents are..

EP3tuner410
10-23-2010, 09:59 AM
PDR definitely isn't cheap but i can tell you that in the long run it's cheaper than getting a body shop to fix it.

PDR just has to take out your fender liner and pop out the dent.

The Body Shop is gonna want to fix the dent, primer the fender, paint the fender, and want to blend the adjacent panels for color match!

Trust me my shop charges around $400 minimum to do that kind of job while a PDR guy may charge $200 maximum !

skoo74
10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
PDR definitely isn't cheap but i can tell you that in the long run it's cheaper than getting a body shop to fix it.

PDR just has to take out your fender liner and pop out the dent.

The Body Shop is gonna want to fix the dent, primer the fender, paint the fender, and want to blend the adjacent panels for color match!

Trust me my shop charges around $400 minimum to do that kind of job while a PDR guy may charge $200 maximum !

your right man.. the worse outcome would be if the fender didnt fit correctly or the paint is off somehow... PDR will at least perserve my oem paint..

im still looking at my options and i found a guy who says he'll do it around 200... so far, that's my best option...

EP3tuner410
10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Most likely a shop would fix the fender so they wouldn't put an aftermarket pos on it since fitment is always an issue...

As far as the color goes SSM is an easy color to panel paint so color match isn't an issue in your case but shops would tell you they need to blend adjacents panels to gaurentee the color would be on point!

That's why unless you have a close friend in the paint industry then you get screwed!!!

PDR all the way for you bud!

skoo74
11-06-2010, 02:10 PM
thanks for the feedback folkz...

here's an update... today i decided to change my brake pads after weeks of squeaks... so I said, funk it! I'm going to try to push that dent back in place myself.... after a couple of rubs with my bare hands.. "POP" the dent FOOOKING popped ouT!... LOLLLLLLL.. it's probably one of my best EP fixes of all time (number 2 would be that damn axles popping out and #1 would be the suspension sqeaking).. HAHAHAHA... Here's a pix... there's a slight ding still in place but 95% of the funking dent is gone.... (you can still see a swirl in there.. which is barely noticable if there weren't that line of light there)

PDR FTW.... and heck sometimes u can do it urself.... ooweeee...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/jerryep3/Si/IMG_0221.jpg

clockinreverse
11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
About to go try this on my car now. Awsome job man.

Rasy
11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice job! I'm sure you could use some polisher and get those swirls out since it look like it didn't go past the paint.

skoo74
11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
About to go try this on my car now. Awsome job man.
let us know how it goes... i dont think all dents will pop out like mine but it's sure worth a shot.. just don't over do it so that it'll cost more to fix.. lol

Nice job! I'm sure you could use some polisher and get those swirls out since it look like it didn't go past the paint.
yeah.. there's still a slight dent but i'm sure with the right tools, I can rub it out.. i'll give that a shot when I get a chance though....

EP3tuner410
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
You can never beat a free fix!