PDA

View Full Version : K24 "skeletor" Pulley Installed

04EP3Hatch
10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Well guys i got around to putting my crank pulley on today, and holy shit was it bigger than the A3's!! i had to use a junk used dayco belt for now, but it's peaking around 10psi with some slippage so my guess is 11-12 or so once the bug is fixed. but there was one problem for people that want to do this on the A3, i ran into a problem i didnt realize until i first started it. there is a bolt on the timing cover than comes in contact with the new pulley, and i didnt know. i start the car and look under the hood and i see small sparks and i am dumbfounded, 2 seconds later the sparks go away and the smell of the coating burning off the pulley resides. it ground the head off about 1mm or so. so if any of you look to do this, take care of the problem before hand. anyway, the blower whines like a cobra now :)

talonXracer
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Pics before and after install? Any specs on the pulley?

Sucka
10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
video too!

04EP3Hatch
10-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Pics before and after install? Any specs on the pulley?

i have a pic comparing the two pulley sizes between the A3 and the k24's and it is large lol my camera died so i couldnt get installed pics, but i will when i change out my belt.

video too!
i will sir :) dont worry

talonXracer
10-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Where did you get the crank pulley?

Canuck Civic
10-20-2010, 10:32 PM
What size blower pulley do you have on now?

I better get my ass in gear and finish the aftercooler on my car before your the fastest a3 supercharged.

superchargedk20
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM

I better get my ass in gear and finish the aftercooler on my car before your the fastest a3 supercharged.

that kid that blew up his motor in the engine section did 276whp on a A3 JRSC. Hes the fastest JRSC a3 ive heard of. I think dano is aimin for the 265ish range. And good luck Dan, I want first crack when shes all nice and tuned

Canuck Civic
10-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Well I have Vtec killers,using the rsx charger/manifold plus an aftercooler so we shall see. I need a better header and bigger exhaust, I won't be able to dyno till next summer though.

04EP3Hatch
10-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Where did you get the crank pulley?

directly from honda, i dont deal with those aftermarket shit boxes

3.8" pulleyboys sir!

that kid that blew up his motor in the engine section did 276whp on a A3 JRSC. Hes the fastest JRSC a3 ive heard of. I think dano is aimin for the 265ish range. And good luck Dan, I want first crack when shes all nice and tuned

Well I have Vtec killers,using the rsx charger/manifold plus an aftercooler so we shall see. I need a better header and bigger exhaust, I won't be able to dyno till next summer though.

thanks dave! and dont worry you will be :) and damn canuck, aftercooled AND Vteckiller? thats gonna be teetering around 290whp if i had to guess

Lucid Moments
10-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Just in case anyone is curious the Honda part # is 13810-R40-A01, and the pulley is 6.37" diameter measured "across the tops of the V's" according to Scuffers on CRSX.

I had this one put on my motor the last time I had to have it rebuilt. With it I went from a 3.2" blower pulley to a 3.4" blower pulley but keep the same pulley ratio. (I'm on a built K24 frank btw) That way I get less belt slip.

04EP3Hatch
10-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Just in case anyone is curious the Honda part # is 13810-R40-A01, and the pulley is 6.37" diameter measured "across the tops of the V's" according to Scuffers on CRSX.

I had this one put on my motor the last time I had to have it rebuilt. With it I went from a 3.2" blower pulley to a 3.4" blower pulley but keep the same pulley ratio. (I'm on a built K24 frank btw) That way I get less belt slip.

see thats a good idea, but im having a problem, i switched today to a K070622 Gates Micro-V AT belt. and im getting slippage around 6700-7700rpms. i thought this would have been diminished due to the fact i now have more surface area on the crank pulley, which it is slipping on, and i beleive it's the coating on the pulley not letting the belt grip. did you have any issues at first? i put maybe 40 miles on the belt so far, and how tight do you keep yours?

talonXracer
10-22-2010, 06:13 AM
directly from honda, i dont deal with those aftermarket shit boxes

Excuse me? The best crank pulley is ONLY available thru the aftermarket, hands down far superior to anything Honda has put on a stock engine. You can go clear out to 7.5" with a ATI crank pulley/damper.

I had a kid ask me to sandblast his crank and blower pulley, he was thinking this may help with belt slippage, i have not heard back so it may have helped, what do you guys think?

Ba82Ep3
10-22-2010, 07:26 AM
There is a spacer supposed to go behind the k24z CP, but i thought it was to take place of the crank trigger not used on the k24z. I wonder if it is to help space the new CP out as well... as in maybe its thicker than the crank trigger to help with bolt clearance of the block?

neoamd
10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
see thats a good idea, but im having a problem, i switched today to a K070622 Gates Micro-V AT belt. and im getting slippage around 6700-7700rpms. i thought this would have been diminished due to the fact i now have more surface area on the crank pulley, which it is slipping on, and i beleive it's the coating on the pulley not letting the belt grip. did you have any issues at first? i put maybe 40 miles on the belt so far, and how tight do you keep yours?

Get an auto tensioner, it really did wonders on my setup not to mention way better belt coverage on the S/C pulley then before.

*Yes I know its a bit dirty.. thats what NAPA Belt Dressing does - never will I use that shit again.**

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/neoamd/JmercadoAutoTensionerEP3-3.jpg

04EP3Hatch
10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Excuse me? The best crank pulley is ONLY available thru the aftermarket, hands down far superior to anything Honda has put on a stock engine. You can go clear out to 7.5" with a ATI crank pulley/damper.

I had a kid ask me to sandblast his crank and blower pulley, he was thinking this may help with belt slippage, i have not heard back so it may have helped, what do you guys think?

oh no no i mean like aluminum aftermarket ones, i'd love to have a fluidamper or an API pulley for sure. i might try the sandblasting trick though for sure

There is a spacer supposed to go behind the k24z CP, but i thought it was to take place of the crank trigger not used on the k24z. I wonder if it is to help space the new CP out as well... as in maybe its thicker than the crank trigger to help with bolt clearance of the block?

hmm that very well could be, but i have no misalignment problems at all.

Get an auto tensioner, it really did wonders on my setup not to mention way better belt coverage on the S/C pulley then before.

*Yes I know its a bit dirty.. thats what NAPA Belt Dressing does - never will I use that shit again.**

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/neoamd/JmercadoAutoTensionerEP3-3.jpg

i might go this route too, what belt did you use? and Jermcado supplied you the tensioner?

neoamd
10-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Correct I bought the tensioner from Jmercado. If you have the OEM one he can modify it for about $40.

I used a Goodyear Gatorback 4080620. Its a 62 inch 8 rib belt. You have to cut a rib off which isn't that difficult and now I have much more belt to s/c pulley contact than before. If I can run the RSX manifold + an aftercooler without too much hacking that would great as well.

04EP3Hatch
10-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Correct I bought the tensioner from Jmercado. If you have the OEM one he can modify it for about $40.

I used a Goodyear Gatorback 4080620. Its a 62 inch 8 rib belt. You have to cut a rib off which isn't that difficult and now I have much more belt to s/c pulley contact than before. If I can run the RSX manifold + an aftercooler without too much hacking that would great as well.

alright good, i gotta get one then lol quick question though, where the belt goes between the blower pulley and the alternator, how tight is that belt section for you with the auto tensioner? i have about 1/4" of play in and out with the manual tensioner, the belt hasnt fully broken in yet either, just wondering how much more tight yours is

Ba82Ep3
10-24-2010, 01:05 AM
If you want more choices with belt size, look at the 10 rib belts. With this swap im working on i found 1/4" increments in a 2" range of my belt length. Go to the belt section on the Goodyear webbie and there is a part# listing of all Gatorback belts with length and width.

I personally love Gatorback belts... but some will say otherwise. The point is being able to find a belt that fits with the autotensioner that allows proper adjustment.

04EP3Hatch
10-24-2010, 09:56 AM
If you want more choices with belt size, look at the 10 rib belts. With this swap im working on i found 1/4" increments in a 2" range of my belt length. Go to the belt section on the Goodyear webbie and there is a part# listing of all Gatorback belts with length and width.

I personally love Gatorback belts... but some will say otherwise. The point is being able to find a belt that fits with the autotensioner that allows proper adjustment.

do you run the modified auto tensioner setup?

neoamd
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
alright good, i gotta get one then lol quick question though, where the belt goes between the blower pulley and the alternator, how tight is that belt section for you with the auto tensioner? i have about 1/4" of play in and out with the manual tensioner, the belt hasnt fully broken in yet either, just wondering how much more tight yours is

If you go with the auto tensioner setup you will be fine. Just grab the 62 inch belt. I bet the 62 inch belt would solve the issues your having now.

Ba82Ep3
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
do you run the modified auto tensioner setup?

Nope i sold my charger and EP. My k24 swap is goin into an EJ1. My friend that bought my charger uses the auto tensioner on this k20a R swap, and has NO problems with it.

K20A EP3
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah I think I was one of the first on here to hack up an oem tensioner. 04ep3hatch are you running an aftermarket map yet? Damn I need to put this pulley on I've had it for a while now

MugenReplica
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah I think I was one of the first on here to hack up an oem tensioner. 04ep3hatch are you running an aftermarket map yet? Damn I need to put this pulley on I've had it for a while now

Nope, there was another guy here who was rocking a RSX JRSC manifold and blower back in 2005 with a hacked up OEM tensioner. I've also have had one on for a couple of years now.

04EP3Hatch
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM

naaa im still on my tune for just the 3.8. but so far so good, only a few flashes of knock (maybe 3-4) at lower rpms full throttle, up top is pretty clean, my boost gauge is showing me just aboove 10psi but when i plug the laptop in ill find out

Nope, there was another guy here who was rocking a RSX JRSC manifold and blower back in 2005 with a hacked up OEM tensioner. I've also have had one on for a couple of years now.

oh you have the auto tensioner too? i want to try it but im afraid it doesnt hold the belt tight enough

neoamd
10-26-2010, 05:44 AM
I need that crank pulley =X

I'm trying not to lose in the power race to you, hahaha

04EP3Hatch
10-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I need that crank pulley =X

I'm trying not to lose in the power race to you, hahaha

haha it should be good! i'd like to have the highest hp jrsc A3 but if someone beats my numbers i'd like to know the setup so i can improve mine ya know?

superchargedk20
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
that kid in the engine section made 276whp on a a3 JRSC. u got competition

04EP3Hatch
10-27-2010, 04:18 PM

yea i know but he was built. idk how A fully built engine only puts that. revving to 10 grand like he was on the 4.0 is overspinning the blower badly

superchargedk20
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
agreed. but it was still an a3 hahah. so technically hes number 1 untill u beat it lol

04EP3Hatch
10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
i know, my car topped out at 140mph this morning... i need nos

superchargedk20
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Only ameturs deal with nitros oxide. Youll blow urself to bits

04EP3Hatch
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Only ameturs deal with nitros oxide. Youll blow urself to bits

bullshit asshole.. no one likes the tuna here

superchargedk20
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
u cant just jump in the ring with ali because u think u can box.

04EP3Hatch
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
u cant just jump in the ring with ali because u think u ___ box.

there is no can, sir. he is to miseducated to say it correctly.

i will continue:

hey baby, HEY BABY! WASSYO PROLEM NIGGA YOU DINT WIN! (crowd: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh girl) FUCK YOU DEN!

MugenReplica
10-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Let's keep this to "technical talk" not WAY WAY WAY off topic......

Canuck Civic
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
hey,hey I'm gunning for the highest S/C HP A3 as well. A guy on CRSX gained 23hp on 9psi of boost with just an aftercooler I should be boosting about 12psi just waiting on my new map sensor to get here.

I still need a new header still got the stocker on there.

04EP3Hatch
10-28-2010, 04:17 AM
hey,hey I'm gunning for the highest S/C HP A3 as well. A guy on CRSX gained 23hp on 9psi of boost with just an aftercooler I should be boosting about 12psi just waiting on my new map sensor to get here.

I still need a new header still got the stocker on there.

yea that should be post some good ass numbers, what pulley setup you using?

MugenReplica
10-28-2010, 06:17 AM
oh you have the auto tensioner too? i want to try it but im afraid it doesnt hold the belt tight enough

Yup, it's been on as long as the JRSC has been on. It was installed when we ran into each other this year at Carlisle as well.

MugenReplica
10-28-2010, 06:44 AM

Where's this thread? I've been out for a month. I need to redo and update the JRSC list again.

P.S. - You all realize, that you can bat it out for highest JRSC whp dyno until the cows come home, but as soon as a CAI/E/RH/Kpro/JRSC/3.7" K20a3 steps tire on Church's dyno and puts out 300whp we're all screwed.

Ba82Ep3
10-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Yep. Dyno's arent the same. Do it for yourself. Do it to love it. Dont do it for the numbers...

Ba82Ep3
10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Anyone have a straight on shot pic of this pulley installed? I wanna see how much of a difference it would make on serpentine belt wrap around the water pump in an A/C less setup...

superchargedk20
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Let's keep this to "technical talk" not WAY WAY WAY off topic......

He started it!

We can overnight parts from japan

04EP3Hatch
10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Where's this thread? I've been out for a month. I need to redo and update the JRSC list again.

P.S. - You all realize, that you can bat it out for highest JRSC whp dyno until the cows come home, but as soon as a CAI/E/RH/Kpro/JRSC/3.7" K20a3 steps tire on Church's dyno and puts out 300whp we're all screwed.

shit dude i should have taken a look at your setup then :( and yea, dyno's are odd machines. on the mode my car was tuned on, i made 200.5hp lol now with 200.5hp i was walking evo's? lol i dont think so, on the other dyno mode said 241.3. now that walking evo's i can see

Anyone have a straight on shot pic of this pulley installed? I wanna see how much of a difference it would make on serpentine belt wrap around the water pump in an A/C less setup...

i was about to say it didnt change the wrap but then i saw a/c LESS lol the pulley is rather close to the water pump though. i'd say this is the largest size you can go CP wise

He started it!

We can overnight parts from japan

i know i didddd im sorrry :(

it's your fuel map, it's got a nasty hole

...sorry i had to

beechstreet
01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
HEy all, just installed the k24 crank pulley, OEM modified tensioner, and have the 3.8" pulley on my JRSC. The Gates k080620 is way too small! What other belts have you all run successfully??? THanks in advance!!

edit: nevermind, ended up sticking with the k070622. tight fit but it runs. gonna have to get the 3.7" SC pulley

04EP3Hatch
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
HEy all, just installed the k24 crank pulley, OEM modified tensioner, and have the 3.8" pulley on my JRSC. The Gates k080620 is way too small! What other belts have you all run successfully??? THanks in advance!!

edit: nevermind, ended up sticking with the k070622. tight fit but it runs. gonna have to get the 3.7" SC pulley

thats the belt that i have and it works wonders, but i have to run the JR tensioner, for some reason i feel the oem tensioner wont provide the pressrue to keep the belt tensioned to hold boost but thats just me. what boost #'s you hitting now?

skoolnu
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
what advantage does this give you?

05 hatch
03-11-2011, 05:58 PM

How is that belt size and pulley set up working out? I have the same setup but stock a3 cp. I am going to be switching to the k24 cp and was wondering if i need to get a larger belt size?

beechstreet
03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
How is that belt size and pulley set up working out? I have the same setup but stock a3 cp. I am going to be switching to the k24 cp and was wondering if i need to get a larger belt size?

Using the k070622 with the 3.8" SC pulley, 3" idler pulley, and the k24 crank pulley. making 11.3 PSI and no belt slip. Certainly worth the $50 for the crank pulley.

05 hatch
03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Using the k070622 with the 3.8" SC pulley, 3" idler pulley, and the k24 crank pulley. making 11.3 PSI and no belt slip. Certainly worth the $50 for the crank pulley.

beautiful. I like that number. Was it a simple install? Just unbolt the old and in with the new? Did you need that spacer behind it? Are all the k24 cp the same? Thanks in advance.

beechstreet
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
beautiful. I like that number. Was it a simple install? Just unbolt the old and in with the new? Did you need that spacer behind it? Are all the k24 cp the same? Thanks in advance.

Here's the part number: 13810-R40-A01

There are other k24 cps available but this is the one referred to in this thread

I had to use a 1/2" impact gun while having my coworker turn the ignition for a split second just to get the crank to turn a hair and the bolt came loose. Never noticed the pulley making contact with anything so didn't need a spacer. Fairly simple. I'm sure others went about it differently.

Ba82Ep3
03-11-2011, 07:44 PM
No, you dont need the spacer. Its only on the k24z to take up the space left on the crank because they moved the crank position sensor.

05 hatch
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Sweet! I can't wait to do this. Thanks fella's.

XytL
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
So, K24 pulley, 2.5" idler and 3.8" pulleyboys pulley and use a 62.2 gatorback then? That's using a manual tensioner atm, might go to OEM auto tensioner in a bit. Just trying to buy all my parts at once, haven't actually installed anything yet, heh.

05 hatch
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Are you still running the same belt size and sc pulley? It seems that it would be super tight with the k24 pulley.

skoolnu
08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Is this just a pop on and off install, or do i need to set TDC, do the timing and all that good stuff? engine shit has never been my high point.

Canuck Civic
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
No you don't have timing to set, the pulley is keyed but good luck with the crank pulley bolt.

Blah1219
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
No you don't have timing to set, the pulley is keyed but good luck with the crank pulley bolt.

Amen to that! I had to drop the crank and timing cover and send it to the shop that's honing out my block, so they could unbolt it.

Ba82Ep3
08-09-2011, 06:26 PM
There's a tool on Amazon you can buy for 30$ that will let you take the pulley bolt off with no problems. ; )

Save yourself the headache and just buy it...

05 hatch
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Anybody need a k24 crank pulley. Never installed it and just sold the sc. It's just gonna sit in my garage now.

Kentoneseboi
08-10-2011, 04:24 AM
hmm ill prolly pick up that crank pulley from you pm me details

05 hatch
08-10-2011, 07:54 AM
hmm ill prolly pick up that crank pulley from you pm me details

Good, I want someone to put this to use.

Kentoneseboi
09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
how do i contact jmercado to do my autotensioner?

neoamd
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
how do i contact jmercado to do my autotensioner?

Either PM him on ClubRSX.com OR e-mail him: jmercado567 [at] yahoo.com

gamma6
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
There's a tool on Amazon you can buy for 30$ that will let you take the pulley bolt off with no problems. ; )

Save yourself the headache and just buy it...

Link to tool? Imma order the cp and id like to get this too

Ba82Ep3
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
On my fone so I dunno how to link lol. Just goto Amazon and search for "Honda crank pulley tool". There aren't many returns and its pretty easy to spot.

gamma6
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks!
Whats a good site to compare my local dealer price on the cp? Where did u guys get them

Ba82Ep3
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I got mine from www.bernardiparts.com.

neoamd
10-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Link to tool? Imma order the cp and id like to get this too

Bump this up, link to the tool =P

Ba82Ep3
10-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Here it is...

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ

You fit 1/2" breaker bar in the square on the end of the tool handle. You can also use half of a floor jack handle over the end of the tool. Wedge that against the floor if you are on jackstands... and bow up on the CP bolt to get her loose. The crank wont turn, and it makes life much easier.

You also use this to TQ the CP bolt when you reinstall.

neoamd
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Here it is...

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ

You fit 1/2" breaker bar in the square on the end of the tool handle. You can also use half of a floor jack handle over the end of the tool. Wedge that against the floor if you are on jackstands... and bow up on the CP bolt to get her loose. The crank wont turn, and it makes life much easier.

You also use this to TQ the CP bolt when you reinstall.

Thank you good Sir!!

gamma6
10-19-2011, 07:20 PM
just bought the cp and tool!!!

gamma6
11-10-2011, 09:16 PM
well got around to finally install the sc this past weekend and tomorrow im gonna get the cp installed and a tune but will the gates k080615 belt fit fine with cutting one rib off??? right now with just the 3.8 pulley and auto tensioner im running the k070622 and the belt is pretty tight almost no play but i wonder if with the smaller cp will it still fit or should i get a smaller belt...

05 hatch
11-10-2011, 11:33 PM
well got around to finally install the sc this past weekend and tomorrow im gonna get the cp installed and a tune but will the gates k080615 belt fit fine with cutting one rib off??? right now with just the 3.8 pulley and auto tensioner im running the k070622 and the belt is pretty tight almost no play but i wonder if with the smaller cp will it still fit or should i get a smaller belt...

The k24 cp is significantly larger, not smaller!

beechstreet
11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
The k080615 is shorter, thus making it possibly too short to use for the larger k24 cp. You can most likely use the Gates/Goodyear k070622 or as neoamd suggests, the Gates/Goodyear k080620 with a rib cut off for some extra snugness. I'm using the k070622 with 3.8" SC pulley & auto tensioner. I'd suggest putting the belt on all of the pulleys and leaving the S/C pulley for last. I needed an extra hand to hold the wrench while I forced the belt over the S/C pulley.

gamma6
11-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Thats the thing... im running the gates k070622 like u suggested but without the k24 cp, its fairly snug so i wonder if it will still fit... im just gonna buy a belt both slightly bigger and smaller just in case....