PDA

View Full Version : Stock shocks with springs on 77xxx miles??? yes or no???

EP3_Kolendo
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I got a 2002 EP3 and i wanna drop it an inch or two. and im only 17 its my first car. and i need some suggestions on a good affordable but cheap suspension upgrade. im thinking of just buying skunk2 or tein springs and put it on the stock shock. what do you guys think. it got like 77,2xx miles on it. and help will be greatly apprieciated! :) thanks alot

K20wagon
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
They will work fine. I originally had tien s techs on mine starting at 83k miles until 105k miles and switched to skunk2 springs and now am at 112k miles and holding up good. Just make sure you get a rear camber kit.

mugen03
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
i agree with the camber kit, i have tanabe df210 springs with 17s for the time being and i didnt put a camber kit on when i dropped it and my tires worn hella fast

EP3_Kolendo
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Alright thanks guys.

McTaggart34
10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
skunk 2 are crap with stock shocks that's what i have right now and i hate it anywhere i drive i hit the ground. The spring rate is not good.
I don't know about the tein s. Might wanna save up and buy coilovers. just some food for thought

DrZfInEsT
10-24-2010, 05:20 PM
If I was in your position I would just save up more money and get full coilovers.You don't want to half-ass your suspension.

K20wagon
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
skunk 2 are crap with stock shocks that's what i have right now and i hate it anywhere i drive i hit the ground. The spring rate is not good.
I don't know about the tein s. Might wanna save up and buy coilovers. just some food for thought

I can tell you that skunk 2 springs are good and not bad cause I have them on stock struts and they ride just fine. The only problem I have is my exhuast midpipe hangs really low and can scrap from time to time but it rides perfect, nice and smooth for a 2.5 inch drop all round.

Zzyzx
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Depends on what you are willing to accept as well as what your intended use is.

if you just want to lower the car for looks... well then the issues caused by running lowered springs on OEM dampers are probably not going to bug you.

If you are setting your car up for competition or trying to get it to handle better... well then a good set of dampers will be far more important in the long run.

EP3_Kolendo
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
i still want to get the lowering springs but undecided. but do i really need the rear champer kit??? thanks guys

theyb
11-12-2010, 08:38 AM
If I were you I will save up to replace the shocks as well like someone has suggested. Do it right the first time.

Rasy
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Do it right the first time and save up for coilovers, or at least aftermarket shocks as well.

Please.

Don't butcher your stock shocks because you would be trashing them since they're designed for the OEM springrate and compression abilities.

You do need the camber kit, at least in the rear, since you want the adjustability that the OEM camber arms don't give you. It's not the camber that eats the tires, it's the toe.

Drew1d
11-13-2010, 05:55 PM
i still want to get the lowering springs but undecided. but do i really need the rear champer kit??? thanks guys

Perhaps a little experiment. Take a look at the position of your wheels. Then, start adding weight to the rear. If you add enough, the car will look lowered. Take another look at the wheels. They gain a lot of negative camber. so the tops looked tucked in and the bottoms looked flared out.

You see, on the front of the car, the camber is determined by moving the wheel into position and tightening some bolts down. So when you lower, you can kinda correct some of it by moving those bolts. (During an alignment.) With the rear, the camber isn't adjustable. There's a bolt in the rear that adjusts toe, that makes the wheels point straight, but that's it.

IMO, if you want the car lowered. Buy springs and some dampers that can handle the drop. I'd only aim for about and inch and half. Then fill the rest of the wheel gap with larger wheels. My thought for this is that you won't really have to change too much suspension-wise for the look, and it's probably the most cost effective. So $200 for some lowering springs, maybe $450 for some dampers, and lets say $1000 for the rims and new tires. If you have a shop do it, we'll say $300 for labor. I know it seems like a lot, but it would give a car a lowered look, and retain good handling and ride comfort.

Personally, I'd wait for the shocks to go before thinking of replacing them, good luck on what ever you decide.

02TWSI
11-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Stock shocks, put the Eibach Pro kit on at about 77k miles..... still fine, just a little soft for my taste. Only cost me $80 used. Took all of 1hour to do my first spring replacement.