PDA

View Full Version : falken 512 tires

black05ep
10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
i plan on getn some of these but im particular about the shape of the tire on my rims i like tires with the rim protector on it i was wondering if anyone has some pics of differant angles with these tires 215 45 17

EP3Casas
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
i had the 615's in the same size and there was plenty of meat hangin outside the rim lips.

black05ep
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
ive been seeing some bad review with these tires.i also drive aggressively on backroads. im also looking at the nitto neogens i need something with a sidewall stiff enough to not buckle.

ep3colin
10-23-2010, 04:56 PM
i just got the falken 912's, okay wet traction with good dry traction

socmex7
10-23-2010, 05:09 PM
ive been seeing some bad review with these tires.i also drive aggressively on backroads. im also looking at the nitto neogens i need something with a sidewall stiff enough to not buckle.

Yes, the 512's are crap. people get them because they naturally come with that "stretch" look as they run smaller than most tires.

215/45-17 tires for perfromance go Hankook v12's.. for a nice semi-aggressive dd try the Yokohama S-drives or the BFGoodrich G-Force Sports. both handle well and last a good long time (relative to other tires in that size) for Serious perfromance both wet/dry, Star Specs yo!

powdbyrice
10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
i had 512's. i hated the way they looked. stupid streteched crap. i didn't keep them very long. sure they perform better than OEM michelins, but that can be said about almost any performance tire.

ep3colin
10-23-2010, 06:26 PM
any knows whos selling a cheap legal intake for my 2004 civic si ep3? hit me up if you do thanks...

wrong thread......BRO!

PatrickJamesYu
10-23-2010, 07:08 PM
any knows whos selling a cheap legal intake for my 2004 civic si ep3? hit me up if you do thanks...

haha

o2ep3
10-23-2010, 07:53 PM
or maybe any1 knows whos selling a stock intake for my ep3? cause that god damn smog wont pass it i got a fujita short ram intake ill trade it if any1 has??

dude dont post here for that you dont have post to trade or sell. sounds like a you problem

DrZfInEsT
10-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I use to have them on my ep.I absolutely hate them.They suck in the rain and wear out quickly.

makavelibranded
10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I use to have them on my ep.I absolutely hate them.They suck in the rain and wear out quickly.

Ive hydroplained several times on those tires too, and wasint doing more then 40,.. anything as far as turning in the rain is terrible just a simple turn and I could slide for no reason.

Those Falcons are absolutly crap tires ill never buy a thing from them again,.. get the bf goodrich gforce kdw II's,.. at autocross I couldint get them to spin on full throttle in the rain for the life of me and im boosted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8Q17sYuPw
Start the vid at 3:20 I am truelly satisfied with these tires

I wouldint get s drives,.. I researched plenty enough, they handle amazing in the rain but are inconsistant in dry performance they like to roll on hard turns, they last a long time and all but not worth it.

The dunlop starspecs are getting #1 reviews right now, they have a short life so if if you can afford them and to get them replaced maby every 20k go for it, they also have great wet weather traction.

black05ep
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
thanks for the help. im just trying to find a good set of tires for about 90 dollars a piece. i want the starspecs or kdws but theyre out of my price range right now. and i like the semi stretched look anyone have anything bad to say about the neogens?

EP3Casas
10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
tirerack has the gforce sports on sale for 94 a tire. print out the page and go to your local americas tire co and have them price match.

thats what i did. im impressed with these tires.

MOOGEN
10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
what about the falken 912's... Any opinions?

robzilla
10-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I had the 512 and now have the 912, don't have any problems with them they have been good daily driver tires. I do go out into the mountains and push it as well. and on the wet I don't slide around. I think the rim edge was bigger on the 512's vs the 912's. My tires are size 18. Some of the falkens are made in japan and some are made elsewhere.

27rocks
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
The RT615's are the only tires i would buy from Falken. And thats mainly for summer only.

I have had great luck with my current tires which are Sumitomo HTR-zIII. They are pretty cheap and i also got them on sale from Tirerack. The grip is good enough for every day driving (havent tried pushing them yet) and excellent in the rain. The sidewalls are stiff and are wider than the rim of the wheel. Also one good thing is they are a non directional tire so the road noise is very minimal.

The last set i had were the Sumitomo HTR-Z's which were a softer compound (and cheaper) and were pretty sticky once warmed up. I found the sidewalls on these to be a little soft, but i think thats mainly because i went from a smaller rt615 tire which are pretty beefy. Also great wet tire but since they were directional they made a little more noise. And since being a slightly softer compound they wore rather quickly. It probably didn't help that i did a full season of Auto-x with them a a hand full of mountain passes.

I would buy both again for sure.

EP3Casas
10-25-2010, 04:17 AM
they stopped making the 615's in place of the 615k's. better compound and better tread pattern for rain.

27rocks
10-25-2010, 08:34 AM
they stopped making the 615's in place of the 615k's. better compound and better tread pattern for rain.

Damn hahaha i think i must have been living under a rock cause i didn't even know this.

Edit: After doing a little search i found out that they actually never changed the actual tread pattern but only the compound and structure of the tire.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
I have had the 512's 912's KDW2's and i am now running on the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's and they are the best set of tires i had out of the bunch. Like everyone said the 512's are crap and the grip in the wet sucks you will slide a lot. The 912's which i have on my stockies right now are pretty good tires for dd and occasional back road use, wet traction is decent but dont get to agressive in the rain with them. The KDW2's are awesome tires great grip in wet and dry but one thing that sucks about them is road noise. The road noise isnt to bad when the tires are new but after 5k miles on them they are very noisy. The Hankook V12 Evo's grip just as well if not better then the KDW's in both wet and dry with out all the road noise. I got a pretty good deal from America's tire for the V12 evo's for 109 a tire for 225/45/17's.

socmex7
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
they actually never changed the actual tread pattern but only the compound and structure of the tire.

this.. just the make up of the tire changed.

what about the falken 912's... Any opinions?

decent tires, they sacrifice performance for longevity.

EP3Casas
10-25-2010, 02:29 PM
this.. just the make up of the tire changed.
yea just read that. i thought the added more ribs into the tread pattern but i was mistaken.

but if your lookin bang for the buck right now id go with the gforce sport. 94 a tire and pretty good traction. yeah. cant beat em.

Jukka
10-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I used to run 512s when i first got the civic. When they went bald, I replaced em with 912s. I've been running them for the last 2 years(ish). No issues what so ever. Im also running 195/60R15s on 15x7.5s. Because im stretchec a tiny bit, I don't have any lip protection. But for a good all season, decently priced and not bad for throwing a bit of agression into them, the 912s arent bad.