PDA

View Full Version : Wont start, Flame shot out Throttle Body

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 07:53 AM
The car just stopped running, has 130k on it, now it wont start at all. I try and jump it, it starts to turn over, and obviously is getting gas then pow, a 2 foot flame shoots out the TB. Wheres a camara snapshot when you need one :mcry:

So if anyone has any ideas, i am game. I have taken off the ICV on the TB and cleaned it all out, replaced my spark plugs, only thing i hadnt done was try and reset the ECU. Before it broke it was burning a pretty decent amount of oil, prolly a Q every 2 days or so? That was just doing my normal day of about 100 miles give or take id say. Thanks for anyones help in advance.

Sadly i dont have 4k to get the k24 tsx full swap from k20tuned LLC yet because of my Integra type r turbo build in progress, so i am looking at other alternatives that get the motor in the hatch fixed...

talonXracer
10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Pull the VC and check that the timing has not jumped. And that kind of oil usage suggests it is time for a new engine.

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Yea i figured the hurt that has been put on it and the cost that it would nearly take to repair the garbage motor in there. So, i guess its prolly saving time for TSX swap... poop lol

ep3colin
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
you either 1 have a big oil leak, or 2 which is your rings are no longer existent

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
K well i dont think its 1 a oil leak, oil cuz my car never had nor hasnt left a bunch of oil on the ground. Now around the head gasket its like dirty, but not oil covered or nothing. My rings being blow i can see, do that make your motor not start and back fire because of compression lose?

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Im gonna try and clean the fuel injectors too, while i do that i was going to unhook the battery and try and reset the ECU. Take the valve cover off and make sure all the cam lobes are intac, no bent valves, make sure the timing chain is lined up all that stuff. After this i am at a loss though, thanks guys.

Deadphishy
10-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Did the motor smoke real bad? Might have a blown head gasket and now it won't start because the cylinders are full of water/oil. What do the plugs look like?

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
I mean, when we tried to turn the motor over, it would start to smoke a lil, like a white cloud, coming from the front of the motor somewhere and u would get a faint smell of gas. The spark plugs we pulled out where totally toasted, pretty much all black on the bottom. We pulled the new spark plugs out after the fireball and they kinda smelled like gas. Wouldnt a compression test tell me if my Head gasket is toast? With someone with a decent amount of car know how be able to change the a3 gasket?

talonXracer
10-25-2010, 09:53 AM
A compression/leak down test will tell you what the condition of the rings and valves are like.

You can have a oil leak and NEVER drop a speck of oil on the ground. If the rings are shot then oil enters the combustion chamber and is burnt off, valve seals shot will drench the pistons in oil.

Swapping the head gasket while the egine is in the car is a pain but doable. But I have a feeling that just a head gasket will not fix your issues.

Do the compression/leakdown tests and then you will have a better idea of what is going on, at this point all we can put forth is speculation.

sleepy ep3
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I vote timing issue. The smell of gas is your motor not knowing when to fire the plug, therefore getting excess fuel buildup in the combustion chamber. It could be that it fires the plug when th intake valve is open, and that would make the fire come out of the intake.

04SiSpeed
10-25-2010, 10:08 AM
So you vote pretty strongly on timing being the issue with fairly good arguement to support. What are some of my options to fix, ECU reset? Make sure the timing chain isnt broken/out of place? Take it to a shop and make sure its timed properly?

Thanks sleepy

sleepy ep3
10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I would think the absolute easiest way to see if that's the issue would be to remove the valve cover and see if there is proper tension on the chain. You wont be able to see the bottom half that encompasses the tensioner, but it's the easiest place to start. Push on the top part of the chain that is under the top chain guide, it shouldn't really move at all. If you aren't really mechanically inclined, I would take your car to a TRUSTED mechanic, not a dobbs or anywhere like that. It's almost impossible to check the bottom half of the timing system with the motor intact in the car, and I would have someone verify the thoughts on a timing issue before you spend a cent or any labor time on it. Hope that helps. Also maybe check the oil for any metallic residue.

Deadphishy
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Injectors smelt like gas :tehehyper::tehe:

sorry i had too.

The Oil consumption won't be a timing problem.

04SiSpeed
10-26-2010, 07:21 AM
I ment to say spark plugs lol, i fixed it. Yea sleepy i mean i havent gone to UTI, but mostly everything on the outside of the motor i can manage to handle. So i am removing the cover today while i wait for the ECU to reset, and gonna check out how everything looks. Maybe try and see if any valves are bend, or if there is any strange wear on the rockers from a timing jump or sumthin. If i think the chain is lose, ill have my shop guy tow it and start with that, hopefully fixing the issue.