PDA

View Full Version : Shudder and steering wheel shake at first drive

NateCox
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
In the mornings when I'm going to work I'm experiencing for a brief period a steering wheel shudder and a shake (like the tires have a flat spot) which goes away.

It's odd that I'd get that since I drive it daily...it doesn't sit for more than 12 hours.. This morning the shake was pretty pronounced (cooler morning BTW)

Car has almost 50K and I'm assuming they're the original struts up front (...ugh...do we have front struts...???)... is a worn 'strut' or ..whatever a possible culprit.

I've got continental tires (the ones which say D,W,S on the tread)... and they're almost new in tread depth...

just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

thanks!
Nate

talonXracer
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
With colder temps the tires can retain a flatspot in the rubber until it heats up and rounds out.

NateCox
10-26-2010, 08:00 AM
in that short of time period? These are aftermarket 17's on TSX rims (55 mm offset)...so I can see the thin sidewall, but man..it shudders!

talonXracer
10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
It takes alot less time for a tire to drop to ambient temps than you think, usually less than 2 hours. The conti's I had at one time did seem to develop cold flat spots easier than other tires.

NateCox
10-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Then part two of my question (the dumb part)...

do we have struts up front? Or is it some mulitlink setup?

Drew1d
10-26-2010, 11:34 AM
McPherson Struts in front. springs around a shock. Connected to the steering, knuckle and top hat.