PDA

View Full Version : 144,000 Miles OIL CHANGE?

BajaPantiEP
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
OK I did all the research in the oil section and did really find anything that reflected the oil change off the mileage, from what i read through the threads, i see that the majority of ephatch love castrol syn..now i understand that they use 5w30, would 5 weight be good for my car?? im about to hit 144,000...i need some direction on what to buy,,,im from pennsylvania and the harsh winter is coming,,,should i stay with 5w30 or should i step up to 10w30 because of the mileage the mileage??? any suggestions>>:mrolleyes: P'S I DONT KNOW JACK ABOUT OIL/MILEAGE, SOME ONE KNOWLEDGE PLEASE SCHOOL ME THANKS

ImportCustomx
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Read up here.

I change my oil every 3000-5000. youll be fine with Casterol Syn. i run that as well.

5 W (w does not mean weight)

go here and read up all the oil knowledge you can.this website will be the most factual information you will find. no biased (for the most part) and factual solid info.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

enjoy!

And yes 5w30 is fine...you could run 10w30 if you wanted. but go read on that website and get the basics. its good info for everyone to know.

cvicep3
10-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I recently bought the car and will do oil changed within next couple months. What kinda oil should I use? The label says use 5W20.

Passenger
10-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I recently bought the car and will do oil changed within next couple months. What kinda oil should I use? The label says use 5W20.

Everyone on here will stray you away from 5w20. Im ignorant on oil but you'll be advised to use anything but that, something about how the oil is good for mpg or something but shortens the life of our motors real bad. Any oil gurus wanna chime in on this?

BajaPantiEP
10-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Read up here.

I change my oil every 3000-5000. youll be fine with Casterol Syn. i run that as well.

5 W (w does not mean weight)

go here and read up all the oil knowledge you can.this website will be the most factual information you will find. no biased (for the most part) and factual solid info.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

enjoy!

And yes 5w30 is fine...you could run 10w30 if you wanted. but go read on that website and get the basics. its good info for everyone to know.

THankz IMPORT IM going to read on bob right now

Paul 631
10-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Everyone on here will stray you away from 5w20. Im ignorant on oil but you'll be advised to use anything but that, something about how the oil is good for mpg or something but shortens the life of our motors real bad. Any oil gurus wanna chime in on this?

A small % of first year EP3's had shitty camshaft metalurgy, so a few engines ended up with pitted/worn cams, some of which were using 5w20. I've never seen solid proof/stats it using 5w30 could of prevented the abnormal wear.

5w30 should work well, I'd stay away from 10w30 with PA's cold winters...

beechstreet
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
If you plan on changing your oil every 3-5K you could even save yourself some cash and go with Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, Shell, etc. See them on sale a lot for like $2/qrt and they have good UOAs over at BITOG

BajaPantiEP
10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
A small % of first year EP3's had shitty camshaft metalurgy, so a few engines ended up with pitted/worn cams, some of which were using 5w20. I've never seen solid proof/stats it using 5w30 could of prevented the abnormal wear.

5w30 should work well, I'd stay away from 10w30 with PA's cold winters...

thanks for your input ima definitely go with the 5w30

Passenger
10-26-2010, 08:18 PM

Yeah I mean I haven't either but virtually everyone on here has suggested that so its better to be safe than sorry.

ImportCustomx
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah I mean I haven't either but virtually everyone on here has suggested that so its better to be safe than sorry.
i have a built motor stage 2 cam etc..my engine consumes a wee bit of oil...but i run 20w50 :) my baby runs lovely