PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage questions.....

EP3CHRiS
10-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, i have a couple of questions in regarding to my gas mileage. I'm Canadian so bare with my "kilometers" :mbiggrin: SO basically, i do about 63 km's from my house to college every morning. So, coming home is another 63 km's. Together, or daily, i travel about 130 km's a day give or take a few kilometers here and there. I keep track of my mileage on the reset gauge and monitor how my fuel income is. I have noticed though, that i may be getting poor fuel mileage. a full tank for me can survive about 370 kilometers plus+, maybe 385 if i am not traveling to school MAX......What do you guys think, is this good gas mileage?? Also, as of rite now, i am putting 87 octane from Shell in. i wanna know what you guys are getting. And one more thing, i do have the PW JDM powerchamber intake on, but that should not rob any power should it?? Any answers would be great,

Thanks guys.

ttttrigg3r
10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
ur better off figuring out how many km/liter or km/gallon u get. the 370km on a tank provides a lot of room for error. at 370km/10 gallon that sounds about good. about what i get usually.

sLiCk
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
There are alot of variables. Is this majority city stop and go driving?

jed_averill
10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I have a theory that our cars get more mileage in city (45-50mph) rather than the freeway (60-80mph). Someone back me up on this or you can criticize me instead.

Type_R_Nammer
10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Hello fellow Canadian!

I get about 500km right when the light comes on. This is from 75% City and 25% highway. I also use the A/C 50-80% of the time on top of that.

You should be getting minimum at least 450km a tank for city driving.

Double check your car's maintenance.

revned3182
12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
i used to get about the same 375km from full tank to yellow light empty.
ive changed my sparkplugs recently along with the oil change. changed my cabin filter. kept my tire pressures to 32psi.
tried reseting/relearn the system and still i am cursing because now im half a tank and ive only ran 150km.
today i dumped an stp fuel injector cleaner for 4 bucks in my full gas tank.
but i doubt this is going to make any difference and im grieving for my ep. i think shes going to die on me.
please someone help. what else can i do? sob

epqwerty
12-05-2010, 11:20 AM
You should really figure out L/100km. My car on 100% highway is about 6.7L/100km. For mixed driving I'm averaging about 7.8L/100km. For half a tank right now in the colder temperatures I get about just over 200km. For city I can pull 400+km for 1 tank. If I am lightly on the throttle. 500km for 1 tank is really pushing the tank dry. Best I've even gotten was 475km and that was staying on yellow empty light for awhile. Which is about right. when the empty light turns on it's about 10-15L of fuel left in the tank. Our cars government rating is 10.0L/100km.

Basically. How you drive and where you drive affect your mileage. Keep that in mind. Shifting at 3.5K RPM and up will definately just alot more fuel.

Johnny
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I have a theory that our cars get more mileage in city (45-50mph) rather than the freeway (60-80mph). Someone back me up on this or you can criticize me instead.

I'll criticize your post and back you up at the same time. ;) We know our cars get better gas mileage going 45-50 mph then if your going 60-80 mpg. The question is, how much stop and go do you have in the city. That's where it starts killing the mpg.

jed_averill
12-06-2010, 09:59 AM
So maybe I should go 45-50 mph on the freeway? lol

VividSI
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
if you want ultimate fuel economy get a 6 spd with the rsx 4.3 final drive and a tsx 6th but you will be slower.

fobman
12-06-2010, 05:11 PM
i'm getting horrible gas mileage lately too
full tank only gives me 350km or so.. never more than 400
so im in same boat as you

rtnlsltn
12-11-2010, 01:38 PM
My mileage just took a dump, starting to bug me. I'm at about 90,000K on my 05. Mileage seems to be worse on the highway than in the city...much worse. I'm thinking I'm getting like 20 or so on the highway, maybe 23 in the city. I used to get about 30 either way, maybe 28 if I did a lot of city driving. I just got new tires and figured that would be it, since my old ones had low pressure; no such luck. I always shift at 3k and have gone through 3 tanks at different gas stations. I'm getting about 250-260 miles to a tank (11 gallons or so) and the gas meter is dropping fast on a highway ride of 40 miles or so. My high mileage is mostly due to highway driving, but the past year and a half i've only been driving 2 miles to work and back, not sure if that plays a factor. Not sure what to do? Go in for my 100k tune up now? The guys where I get my oil changed said there's some sludge built up in my engine, any truth to oil flushes? Do I just blame the shitty winter gas?

yyi
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
My mileage just took a dump, starting to bug me. I'm at about 90,000K on my 05. Mileage seems to be worse on the highway than in the city...much worse. I'm thinking I'm getting like 20 or so on the highway, maybe 23 in the city. I used to get about 30 either way, maybe 28 if I did a lot of city driving. I just got new tires and figured that would be it, since my old ones had low pressure; no such luck. I always shift at 3k and have gone through 3 tanks at different gas stations. I'm getting about 250-260 miles to a tank (11 gallons or so) and the gas meter is dropping fast on a highway ride of 40 miles or so. My high mileage is mostly due to highway driving, but the past year and a half i've only been driving 2 miles to work and back, not sure if that plays a factor. Not sure what to do? Go in for my 100k tune up now? The guys where I get my oil changed said there's some sludge built up in my engine, any truth to oil flushes? Do I just blame the shitty winter gas?

Winter gas will ALWAYS decrease your gas mileage significantly.

revned3182
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM
i used to get about the same 375km from full tank to yellow light empty.
ive changed my sparkplugs recently along with the oil change. changed my cabin filter. kept my tire pressures to 32psi.
tried reseting/relearn the system and still i am cursing because now im half a tank and ive only ran 150km.
today i dumped an stp fuel injector cleaner for 4 bucks in my full gas tank.
but i doubt this is going to make any difference and im grieving for my ep. i think shes going to die on me.
please someone help. what else can i do? sob

after everything i have mentioned... as of today... i am only getting 320 km from a full to empty tank. wtf??? have i missed anything?? every time i go for fill up, its just getting worse. i was already whining about 370, then my heart sinks to find out that my next fill up would only last me 350.. this time around is only 320. i'm so tempted to bring it to a honda stealership right now. the only thing i can think of is changing/cleaning the fuel filter. i would like to do it myself.. but how do you get to it and what parts do i need to get?

All4Honda
12-12-2010, 01:42 PM

my gas milage has also gone down. My mpg went down to 26 mpg shifting at 3k occasionally at 5k but this happened when i installed my mugen rep spoiler therefore causing more downforce :/

shanewdude
12-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I get crappy gas mileage, but it's mostly city driving. I'm averaging 11-13 L/100km. Seems I hit about 300-350 and the light comes on. You should reset your trip meter at the next fill-up and then at the fill up after that you can calculate your mileage more accurately.

Oh yah, I hit redline a couple of times a day, so that probably explains my shitty gas consumption.

sirux
12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
My mileage is terrible also,
I'm going to trade in my car soon.

sirux
12-13-2010, 02:36 PM
like I got 21 mpg with never going over 3,000 rpm and driving normally.. some city and some highway.
Every time I shut off my car and restart it.. its like the gas gauge goes down.
Time for a new car with better fuel economy..

jed_averill
12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I get 38 mpg. Stock.

sirux
12-14-2010, 05:54 AM
I get 38 mpg. Stock.

how? WTFFFFFFFFFFf?

shanewdude
12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
like I got 21 mpg with never going over 3,000 rpm and driving normally.. some city and some highway.
Every time I shut off my car and restart it.. its like the gas gauge goes down.
Time for a new car with better fuel economy..

Your sig says 25.6 mpg. :mconfused:

codyep3
12-14-2010, 08:52 PM
my gas milage has also gone down. My mpg went down to 26 mpg shifting at 3k occasionally at 5k but this happened when i installed my mugen rep spoiler therefore causing more downforce :/

LOL on last part. Sorry

jed_averill
12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
how? WTFFFFFFFFFFf?

60 MPH grandma driving yo