PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio

OriginalName52
12-14-2002, 07:59 AM
You guys want to give me a quick education on car audio? I was very knowledgable about home/touring audio a while back, but I don't know much when it comes to hooking up your car. The way I see it, I'll want to end up with a really quality MP3/Radio receiver, and a couple mono block amps, one for each channel. But i don't know brands... Suggestions?

-O

importhonda
12-14-2002, 10:50 AM
That is such a broad question... Go to a stereo shop and have a sales person help you out... Don't buy anything.... Then come back and tell us what they recomended...

Rule #1 Stick with major brands... you pay for what you get.

headunits: Nakamichi, Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine, Sony, Panasonic

Amps: Pheonix Gold, Rockford, Kenwood, Sony

THose are just some examples. I feel that nakamchi makes the best headunits and pheonix gold makes the best amps.

AS far as Subs I would go with JL

nbj1485
12-15-2002, 03:22 AM
sup?

hey import honda, id have to disagree with u on that one. there a lot of companies that compete with mainstream at a low cost. Sony really sucks...

nak makes good head units but i think alpine is better just because it has more features at a good price.

oh yea and sony sucks...

here is a pretty good budget system:

Head Unit: Alpine or Pioneer
Speakers: Infinity Kappa
Amps: JBL or US Acoustics
Subs: Elemental Designs K Series, Adire Audio Shiva, JL Audio W3s are ok too

if u want high end stuff:
Head Unit: Alpine or Pioneer Premiere
Speakers: MB Quart, Focal
Amps: Precision Power, Zapco, Phoenix Gold
Subs: Elemental Designs A Series, Resonant Engineering XXX, Adire Audio Brahma, JL Audio W7s are ok too

importhonda
12-15-2002, 09:13 PM
I would have to agree and disagree with you...

I can't stress enough about the "Sony Sucks" comment, I just tossed it in there since most people find them visually appealing and that is the most important for many people, Why I'm not sure :(

Nakamichi have very few options, they are simple, look classy and I feel no other headunit can match its sound quality. I have seen some problems with reliability with them though, so get those warranties

Alpine and pioneer I would place just above sony :( I just don't think they are that great looking and I dislike the way they function. But I do know many people that love alpine.

Infinity speakers are great, forgot to mention them. Kappas and Perfects both sound awsome.

JBL or US Acoustics i feel are very cheap... they just don't sound that great IMO

Everything else you said I feel is right on

and if you didn't read it in both of our posts

Sony does suck
:D

IceD out N CALI
12-16-2002, 12:05 AM
But i don't know brands... Suggestions?

I would suggest JL audio for sub setup. thats what I have. I like MB Quartz and infinity speakers for highs and mids. A good monoblock amp to get is the JL audio line (if you want to shell out the extra cash. I did and i'm glad) but u can also get cheap power like the JBL 1200.1 amp, U can find it at www.ikesound.com for $275. I'm sure when you were shopping for your home audio stuff you let your ears do the deciding. Same with car audio i suggest you check out a few shops and listen to the speakers yourself. THen when you're ready, you can find most of that stuff on ebay or brand new online much cheaper than at the big stores. good luck:)

nbj1485
12-16-2002, 11:04 PM
i am glad we have come to an understanding importhonda. i hope this forum gets more involved with audio as its my fav part of a car. :D speed comes 2nd haha

jaydub
12-16-2002, 11:48 PM
How's it going.

Alright, I currently have an Alpine CDA-7897 which is MP3 capable. It's really a nice head unit, but there is one thing about MP3 players: The gap between songs. There is inherently a 1-2 second gap between songs, so if you're playing a live show or a techno/dance mix, you'll hear the gaps. I can overlook that easily, as the convenience of having 9 CD's on one single CDR is a great plus.

As far as components and subs, it's really subjective. I've read some good and bad on the new JL W7 subs, thing is, they're massive, and I don't know if you're like me, but I am not willing to sacrifice a large part of my trunk for a sub. There are plenty of subs which only require small enclosures. Image Dynamics makes some exceptional subwoofers. If you're going for sound quality, there are some brands which will excel, such as Image Dynamics and Focal. I personally have two very different subwoofers, Focal 5WS 5-3/8" subwoofers. Most subs are at least 8", but these are very small, and I plan to replace the rear 6-1/2" stock speakers with these, provided I can make some enclosures... but that's all details. :)

Some people like to stick with the bigger brands because they're easier to find through local vendors and such, but I'm a fan of what works. I've found that planning your system in advance will not only save you tons of time and effort, but it will also allow you to learn about it. A lot of times, a system will sound awful simply because it hasn't been tuned properly. Last but not least, don't buy anything unless you've had a chance to listen to it. It doesn't matter if Focal Utopias are $600 for a set, they may sound worse to your ears than a $200 set of Alpine Type R components. It's all about preference.

Hope this helps.

Glix2
12-16-2002, 11:58 PM
If you're on a budget Infinity reference series is a good bang for the buck speaker.

jaydub
12-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Glix2
If your on a budget Infinity reference series is a good bang for the buck speaker.

Agreed, as are the Alpine Type R components.

importhonda
12-17-2002, 02:27 AM
I will leave any comments on Alpine to nbj1485 :p, but as for me, The W7's are very massive subs and I feel will weigh down your car. Best bang for the buck? I would go for the JL w1 or w0 series. they take very little power yet sound crystal clear in a sealed box. They can also be had for a mear 100-120 each... Just a thought

importhonda
12-17-2002, 02:29 AM
Oh and I agree that we should keep up the car audio posts, because i feel that it is a very important aspect of a car, especially living in an area facing heavy trafic congestion. What good is all you engine mods, if your stuck in the traffic, sit back, crank your stereo and enjoy the bliss of music :)

I_VTEC
12-17-2002, 06:23 AM
I'm trying to get a Pioneer sponsorship, just because the system i'm building is mostly Pioneer already. I have a Premier 740 HU, a Pioneer 760w 2-Channel, a Pioneer 300w 4-Channel, and a set of REV-Series 6x8's. All of which are VERY HIGH quality. I would highly recommend them. I get everything for about 50% of retail from a Pioneer-Authorized Dealer, whom I am friends with. My system cost only about $550. Yeah, and SONY SUCKS!

Jpax
12-17-2002, 09:40 AM
The new nak 400 will be very nice, it has 96khz/24bit DAC. 4 color lumination, has 4v preout. and is starting around 499.
they are making a series of decks, 400, 500, and so on. they should be shipping near x mas

Eclipse has made a series od cd/monitors with the Lcd screen and cd player only, with aux video inputs so you can hook up an x box or ps2 to it, but they do make a lcd and screen as well starting at a whooping 2,600.!!

:D

pocketrocket
12-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Personally, I like JL Audio. I have 2 JL w0's in a sealed box, on a 250watt Monoblock JL Amp. As far as amps go, get a class D amp, you won't regret it. I've got a Clarion Pro-Audio headunit, I love the sound, but it's impossible to see during the day at the angle it is in our EP's. I'm still contemplating my components up front, and what to put in the rear. I was thinking only mids in the rear, and not going with a 2way. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

-PR

IceD out N CALI
12-17-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by importhonda
Oh and I agree that we should keep up the car audio posts, because i feel that it is a very important aspect of a car, especially living in an area facing heavy trafic congestion. What good is all you engine mods, if your stuck in the traffic, sit back, crank your stereo and enjoy the bliss of music :)

same here, in southern cali traffic good sounds (or cell phone hehe) is a must:)

importhonda
12-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

same here, in southern cali traffic good sounds (or cell phone hehe) is a must:)

Haha, yes a cell phone is a must also even more so when you hook it up to work through your stock speakers :)

LateSleeper
12-18-2002, 08:29 AM
I just got a quote from a local audio shop. Is this too pricy? What do you think of this:

Stock Head unit for now.
Kicker KX700.5 Amp with remote gain.
MB Quartz 5.25 Componet (Fronts)
MB Quartz 5.25 Coaxial (Rears)
2 JL 10W04 (must be left over.. according to JL's website they are discontinued)
Custom sealed box with false floor and carpeting.
1 Farad Capacitor
4 guage wiring and misc speaker wire.
Dynomat in key areas.

$1888.22

In the end it'll be a nice stealthy install.

jaydub
12-18-2002, 09:04 AM
MB Quart speakers are very... how can I describe it.... bright. They have a hard dome tweeter and some people find their sound a bit harsh and too bright, but it's all about personal preference. As far as the subs, I think you could do better than a pair of leftovers. Seems like they're really taking a lot out of you for those, especially if the technology has changed greatly (and with JL it has, just look at their W7 sub, and the subs under it are getting the same technology soon).

Also, the lack of a new head unit is an issue to me, because with a line level converter (which is what they will have to use to hook an amp to a stock head unit) will not give you the best sound, for the components OR the subs. I would start with a head unit, that WILL make even the stock speakers sound better (although it's only marginal). Also, it depends on which model of components and coaxials they're using, but I can guarantee that the MBQuarts will require more power than the stock head unit can put out. My friend is running a pair of MBQ's in his integra, and he had to get a seperate amp to run them, because his Alpine head unit wasn't putting out enough power.

Another thing: The annual Consumer Electronics Show is the first week in January. If I could make ONE major suggestion, it's to wait until then. New products will hit the market then, and you'll be getting the newest stuff out there that way.

LateSleeper
12-18-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the input JayDub. If it makes any difference, the KX700 is a 5 channel amp. The MB quartz will be driven on all four corners from the amp. Specs of the amp are 75W x 4 and 400W @ 2 ohms for the sub channel. I'll talk to them some more about subs and see if they can quote something newer.

jaydub
12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
I just checked out the specs on that amp, and it looks like a great one. good luck :)

greenguy
12-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by jaydub

Another thing: The annual Consumer Electronics Show is the first week in January. If I could make ONE major suggestion, it's to wait until then. New products will hit the market then, and you'll be getting the newest stuff out there that way.

How can we access the new products that are being released. Is there a web site that covers the show?

jaydub
12-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by greenguy

How can we access the new products that are being released. Is there a web site that covers the show?

www.cesweb.org

:) Of course, I'll also be attending the show, so I'll have plenty of pics and stuff.

importhonda
12-19-2002, 01:18 AM
same here, i will be attending, while not as nice as SEMA for car audio, it still is a very good show

jaydub
12-19-2002, 01:41 AM
yeah it only sucks that this year the adult part of it will be at some other convention center, and it costs $35. :(

napapacoda
12-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Pioneer makes good head units, but other than that, I stay away. I had front and rear pioneer speakers originally when I purchased my car from someone else. I replaced them with boston acoustics and boy did it sound better. I can't believe people haven't mentioned them on this yet, they aren't audiophile quality, but for the price, nothing beats em or actually handles as much wattage. I had the RM9's in my old civic and threw over 90 watts RMS using an orion 375 XTR amp and it worked awesome.:p

nbj1485
12-22-2002, 08:49 PM
bostons arent that great for the price...how much did u spend on them? infinity kappas can be had for around $150 and they can handle around 90 watts.

Jpax
12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Fack MB quart :angel: I have JL audio XR650CSi sepreates in front and XR650coax in rear with JL400/4 and my car sounds great. of course my tweeters are -3db down but it sounds awsome.

napapacoda
12-23-2002, 12:01 PM
I got the RM9's for $200 through someone who I know who works there. They cost $300 though if you don't have a friend working at tweeter. Although I agree Kappas are great as well, I will stick with BA for every car I purchase.

nbj1485
12-23-2002, 03:10 PM
napapacoda, where are u from?

napapacoda
12-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by nbj1485
napapacoda, where are u from?

The eastcoast. Can't hook ya up with a deal though, the kid I go through is a friend of my brothers so getting shit for even myself takes like a week or two. Well worth the wait though.

LateSleeper
01-06-2003, 09:36 PM
I got my stuff installed. Here's a pic of what the trunk looks like with one of the floor boards installed. I initially had everything installed running off the factory head unit... that lasted about 2 days. :D The factory unit just had too much distortion at medium to high levels. I then got the Sony MP70. There are more pics on geoshitties. Pics (http://www.geocities.com/mnl_usn/)

Stuff installed:

Sony MP70
MB Quart DSD 213
MB Quart DKD 116
Kicker KX700.5
JL 10W0

nbj1485
01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
about jl audio w0s. i dont think those are very good at all... how much did u spend? for around $130 each, u can get 12 inch adire audio shivas which are subs that are on the level of 12w6v2s. i found a great deal on the rsx forum and purchased two 12 in shivas with a custom enclosure built to specs for $250.

LateSleeper
01-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by nbj1485
about jl audio w0s. i dont think those are very good at all... how much did u spend? for around $130 each, u can get 12 inch adire audio shivas which are subs that are on the level of 12w6v2s. i found a great deal on the rsx forum and purchased two 12 in shivas with a custom enclosure built to specs for $250.

I don't have the invoice in front of me but I want to say $95 a piece for the 10w0. The setup sounds great for me. ;) If I need to upgrade the subs, I can always do that down the road.

jaydub
01-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Jeez I hate that Metra kit! :mad:

Looks nice though. :)