PDA

View Full Version : how can i fit aftermarket touch screen unit into the dash

JTOHO
10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I want to buy a new touch screen unit for my car. I see people posting up pics of there touch screens inside the dash. How would I get mine to fit?

Draw7Seven
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
You'll use something called a "metra kit" or similar plastic housing that allows your dual DIN touchscreen to be suspended where your stock radio and "cd pocket" currently reside. The metra kit is really cheap. One of the best ways to know exactly what you'll need is to SHOP for the screen you want on Crutchfield.com and then actually BUY it somewhere cheaper. You can buy just the parts you'll need to make the install work from Crutchfield and they'll send you a pamphlet on how to perform the install, and you'll save hundreds by eBaying the expensive part (the head unit itself) and doing your own installation!

JTOHO
10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
thank you!

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
The metra kit fits just fine as long as the deck you are getting doesnt flip out with out a motorized screen. If it has a flip out screen or one that tilts then your gonna have to redrill factory brackets and also trip a good amount of the dash kit to get it to clear. What double din deck are you going to be installing?

Black04si
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
i have a motorised deck avh p 4200 and diddnt have to trim or cut anything just had to position it right one corner sticks out becasue of the way the dash is shaped but oh well

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
i have a motorised deck avh p 4200 and diddnt have to trim or cut anything just had to position it right one corner sticks out becasue of the way the dash is shaped but oh well
I actually installed a 4200 in an ep i got it to sit flush and not stick out but yeah i had to trim and redrill the brackets.

Black04si
11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
id diddnt sit it flush just for the point it would of had to lean to the passenger side diddnt want that

Johnny
11-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Their's a reason why it sticks out on the bottom right hand corner. If it didn't and just sat flush, it would be pointing toward the passenger.

RedSiBaron
11-18-2010, 04:22 PM
use a hammer to get out the old one then using sheetmetal screws drill through the front of the centerconsole directly into the double din unti :mwink:

no dont do that, thats a terrible idea...make sure you pay attention to what mounting kit you use, they are not all equal in design and fitment. i prefer the ones that are barely visible and sit flush with the face of the unit...gives a more oem look

BeaterEP
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
no dont do that, thats a terrible idea...make sure you pay attention to what mounting kit you use, they are not all equal in design and fitment. i prefer the ones that are barely visible and sit flush with the face of the unit...gives a more oem look

Got a particular manufacturer in mind? It'd be good info to post up, just so those of us who come looking later know "OH, so Brand [X] sits flush, while Brand [Y] sticks out like a sore thumb. EFF BRAND [Y] IN THE A!!!"
:mbiggrin: Know what I mean?

RedSiBaron
12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Got a particular manufacturer in mind? It'd be good info to post up, just so those of us who come looking later know "OH, so Brand [X] sits flush, while Brand [Y] sticks out like a sore thumb. EFF BRAND [Y] IN THE A!!!"
:mbiggrin: Know what I mean?

ya i totally know what you mean, i actually dont know what kit fits flush to be honest, i just know they arent all made equal...the one i have for my single DIN also can work as a double DIN, i bought it from bestbuy when i got the ep to install my headunit from my other car. that one looks like poo cuz it sits back inside instead of flush...so DONT BUY THE ONES BEST BUY CARRIED 4 YEARS AGO!!! haha

blue2turbo
12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I actually just purchased the Metra kit, it is suppose to be able to be used as a single or double din mounting kit. I am going to be doing the install this week, hopefully I can snap some pictures of how to install and how it looks after. I shopped at this site:

http://www.provantage.com/

I got the last Metra Kit they had in stock and I also picked up a Scosche wiring harness. My total shipped was less then $24 as the harness is only like $4.78 and the mounting kit was $9.xx. If you need the manufacturers part numbers you could google them and see what deals you can fine.

Metra Mounting kit part # 99-7860
Metra Wiring Harness # 70-1721 (some places said they no longer carry it)
Scosche Wiring harness # HA08B

Also, if you already have your head unit, you may want to consider putting that model number into ebay and seeing if they have any relay's that automatically bypass the video lockout so that you don't have to install a momentary switch or wire to ebrake. I am installing mine so my gf can watch movies on our road trips but I do believe video playback in the front of a vehicle is illegal and you can get ticketed for it... so I guess that is at your own risk.

BeaterEP
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
From what I saw on the youtubes, the video lockout bypass is pretty straightforward to wire up with a 12v relay. But that method may be what you're calling a "momentary switch"...not much of an installer myself, don't know what a lot of the terms mean LOL

LINK: Vid of 12v relay video lockout bypass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo)

blue2turbo
12-17-2010, 02:46 PM
From what I saw on the youtubes, the video lockout bypass is pretty straightforward to wire up with a 12v relay. But that method may be what you're calling a "momentary switch"...not much of an installer myself, don't know what a lot of the terms mean LOL

LINK: Vid of 12v relay video lockout bypass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo)

yea the lockout bypass is suppose to be a relay that sends a ground signal to the head unit basically to make it think the ebrake is up. Previously, I had installed my AVH-P4000DVD in my Mr2 and I didn't know about the lockout bypass relays. So I had to wire in a momentary switch from radio shack. It was just a button, you push it and it basically sent the ground signal to the headunit that made it think the ebrake was up. I just didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of doing that again in the EP3 so I bought one of the video bypasses, I will post up how it works, should be here soon. I just wired up the harnesses to get ready to mount my headunit into my si so we'll see how that goes.

rolldogK20
12-18-2010, 01:53 PM
yea the lockout bypass is suppose to be a relay that sends a ground signal to the head unit basically to make it think the ebrake is up. Previously, I had installed my AVH-P4000DVD in my Mr2 and I didn't know about the lockout bypass relays. So I had to wire in a momentary switch from radio shack. It was just a button, you push it and it basically sent the ground signal to the headunit that made it think the ebrake was up. I just didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of doing that again in the EP3 so I bought one of the video bypasses, I will post up how it works, should be here soon. I just wired up the harnesses to get ready to mount my headunit into my si so we'll see how that goes.

I just grouded mine to the chaisis and it works fine i didnt feel like tracining or running a wire to the ebrake.

blue2turbo
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I just grouded mine to the chaisis and it works fine i didnt feel like tracining or running a wire to the ebrake.

What head unit do you have? I heard this works for some and not for others. That is what I tried initially and it didn't resolve the issue which is where the small switch came in. I def don't want to run a wire to the ebrake either :)

BeaterEP
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I actually just purchased the Metra kit, it is suppose to be able to be used as a single or double din mounting kit. I am going to be doing the install this week, hopefully I can snap some pictures of how to install and how it looks after. I shopped at this site:

http://www.provantage.com/

I got the last Metra Kit they had in stock and I also picked up a Scosche wiring harness. My total shipped was less then $24 as the harness is only like $4.78 and the mounting kit was $9.xx. If you need the manufacturers part numbers you could google them and see what deals you can fine.

Metra Mounting kit part # 99-7860
Metra Wiring Harness # 70-1721 (some places said they no longer carry it)
Scosche Wiring harness # HA08B

Also, if you already have your head unit, you may want to consider putting that model number into ebay and seeing if they have any relay's that automatically bypass the video lockout so that you don't have to install a momentary switch or wire to ebrake. I am installing mine so my gf can watch movies on our road trips but I do believe video playback in the front of a vehicle is illegal and you can get ticketed for it... so I guess that is at your own risk.

So how did the install turn out? Dash kit look good?
Post up some pics so we know what that kit will look like!

blue2turbo
01-19-2011, 11:46 AM
So how did the install turn out? Dash kit look good?
Post up some pics so we know what that kit will look like!

Install went great, when I switch sources to video it gives me the warning statement and all I have to do is press ok and it goes to video.

I had the same problem some did with the mounting kit in that it made the bottom right corner stick out slightly, but I may go back and slot the mounting holes slightly so that I can adjust it to make it flush. Overall I'm very happy with it for right now and it sounds 100x better then the stock unit. I will try to snap a picture tonight.

BeaterEP
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
:thumbu:
Just ordered the avh-4200 this morning. Been waiting too long for a new stereo, finally pulled the trigger. :mbiggrin:

BeaterEP
01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
ayo blue2, got a couple question about the harness wiring if ya get a chance to PM me. :thumbu:

blue2turbo
02-03-2011, 07:23 AM
ayo blue2, got a couple question about the harness wiring if ya get a chance to PM me. :thumbu:

Sorry man, didn't even see this. if you still have any questions shoot me a PM. I took pics of mine installed, but I just keep forgetting to upload. I will say though, the corner of mine does stick out, but I may try to adjust that in the next couple weeks.

BeaterEP
02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
NP, got it all sorted out. Will need to re-mount the unit later if I want to do it flush and put a false face on there, but it works for now. :thumbu: