PDA

View Full Version : Ticking + gauling = :(

BajaPantiEP
10-30-2010, 10:54 AM
OK ephatch so i been reading alot about this gauling issue with the 02-03 si's, which i have, so i called my friend today assuming that the tick it had was just a simple valve adjustment, so he says sure bring it Monday give me $ 60 bucks, ( pretty good price for a certified Honda tech,i say OK cool, see you then, so i think to myself before i go pay 60 bucks let me take off the valve cover and see if i got the gauling and boom! see it right away on exhaust cam, right next to the 4 < ( is that cylinder 4?) well anyways i was wondering is it okay that i drive like grandma for about 2 weeks till i get some new cams???
any suggestions on cams? not to pricey because i baby my car and not into racing, been there done that.. lost license twice..

oneglory
10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
i've been on my galled cams for 6 months now. Just use a heavier oil for now and it should be fine for a while.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/oneglory/car%20stuff/IMGP3867.jpg

BajaPantiEP
10-30-2010, 11:57 AM
yeah i got the same problem just not as bad and one lobe over, thanks man i dont pass 3 grand so hopefully im good

oneglory
10-30-2010, 11:58 AM
are you still stock A3? just get a3 cams for cheap and swap them in there for now.

BajaPantiEP
10-30-2010, 12:09 PM
are you still stock A3? just get a3 cams for cheap and swap them in there for now.

yeah i am but if i get some after market ones like stage 1, will i need k pro?

KaeDu
10-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I thought you were not into racing? If you are talking about the price comparison there are many used A3 camshafts out there for cheap!

BajaPantiEP
10-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I thought you were not into racing? If you are talking about the price comparison there are many used A3 camshafts out there for cheap!

No but if i can get them at a decent price, it wouldnt hurt, and no am not into racing, there are plenty of people who modifie there cars engine wise just for fun on the road and performance, not necessarily racing.......and not really into used parts,

KaeDu
10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
In that case, I don't really think that Stage 1 cams are that noticeable with or without a tune. I would go to Stage 2, but then again you are also looking at other items, K-PRO, possibly reinforced valvetrain (not that much).

BajaPantiEP
10-30-2010, 01:08 PM
In that case, I don't really think that Stage 1 cams are that noticeable with or without a tune. I would go to Stage 2, but then again you are also looking at other items, K-PRO, possibly reinforced valvetrain (not that much).

ok so will it run like shit if i put these cams in and with k pro? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Skunk2-K20A3-K24-DOHC-i-VTEC-Stage-1-VTEC-Camshafts-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0ffac9e2QQitemZ12052 7178210QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries, but if i need k pro to install these then ima have to get some stock one i guess

Deadphishy
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Most stage 1 cams are drop in cams. Meaning they are close enought to stock specs that you don't need ECU tuning or upgraded valve train. However just like any mod, being able to tune for the addition will yield the most power increase. stage 1 cams will give you about 5-7whp.

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
11-02-2010, 06:45 AM
can someone draw some circle for a noob like me and explain....
THANKS in advance

Passenger
11-02-2010, 07:34 AM
can someone draw some circle for a noob like me and explain....
Thanks in advance

O <--Circle

oneglory
11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
O <--Circle

I giggled.

02TWSI
11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I wonder if my cams are like this...I have lots of ticking, could be injectors or this.

What are some tell-tale signs? oil consumption?

Passenger
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I wonder if my cams are like this...I have lots of ticking, could be injectors or this.

What are some tell-tale signs? oil consumption?

K-Series are seriously noisey engines anyway. I wouldn't write off every 'tick-tick-tick' as something wrong. Someone hosted a video here not too long ago where the galling or whatever was seriously loud and noticable. Not sure how severe it was but I wouldn't worry about it too much if yours doesn't sound similar.

RotaryGreg
11-02-2010, 06:09 PM
if you guys are worried and have ticks just pop the cover off and see. then you know for sure and you arent guessing based on over the internet noise diagnosis. my valve cover gasket is starting to seep a bit so im going to pull the cover anyways but if i wasnt i think after seeing that pic of the ground up cam i would do it anyways. good peace of mind. and if its starting to get bad well then you have the option of getting that cam out of there before any extra metal shavings do the rest of the engine harm.

RHCP0801
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
i just sold my oem exhaust cam with 30k from an 04 for $25 shipped, you can find them for sale often, check k20a.org also. You can save a lot of money by just getting a replacement than buying new stage 1's

BajaPantiEP
11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
yeah i just found both for 75 definitely just gna get those