PDA

View Full Version : rear camber kit initial adjustment and what a pain in the a**!

beefed88
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
first off I took off the stock rear camber rods and the front bolt on both sides won't thread so I am going to get a tap tomorrow, what a pain.

Second I have progress springs and I am wearing out the inside 1 inch of my tires, what length should I start with on my adjustment (ie. 1 inch longer= 1 degree camber?) I am not going to get it aligned right away I just want both sides equal of course but with almost 2in drop how much longer do they need to be in order to get even tire wear??

TIA

codyep3
11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
you mean shorter right?

beefed88
11-01-2010, 11:07 PM
no I mean longer, to have less negative camber so my tire wear can be a little more even. It will push out the top of the wheel thus less camber

ep_hatcher_510
11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Why are you not going to get the car aligned? you are not going to get it to the point where it will give you even amount of camber on both sides and even tire wear without an alignment.

beefed88
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I am not going to get it aligned RIGHT AWAY I need to drive on it for a few days and want a good initial adjustment, and yes you can get even amounts of camber if you measure the distance of the camber rod center to center.

PatrickJamesYu
11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Just make sure you are on level ground

56chevydan
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
This is just a suggestion since you don't want to align the car right away. Adjust the camber arm out some and then use a large carpenter's square when the car is back on the ground and settled down and check the wheel for being vertically in or out. For that matter, you could use a 2' level placed vertically against the upper and lower tire and get a starting adjustment to see if the wheel is leaning in or out at the top.

RotaryGreg
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
im with 56chevydan. if you want to get it in the realm of driveable before the alingment, a level will work. but there is no magic number to speak of to set the arms for X amount of camber like you are asking. there are way too many variables. if its only going to be a few days and you take it easy and just pay extra attention over dips and bumps in the road i would think eye balling it will work for you. just pay attention because with weird and possibly uneven camber angles all sorts of strange things can happen over bumps and whatnot.

ImportCustomx
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
this hsould have been posted in suspension