PDA

View Full Version : Disabling EPS

4lugSLUG
11-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Any concerns if I go this route? Do I just pull the fuse?

talonXracer
11-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Do you have a set of monsta guns on ya bud? you will need them when disabling the EPS.

4lugSLUG
11-02-2010, 05:47 AM
actually yeah. plus i love the feel of no pwer steering for some reason. so tell me almighty talon how do i achieve this?

talonXracer
11-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Pull the EPS fuse. You will probably see at least the EPS light. But why degrade the steering in such a manner? What is your intent? You will not gain any WHP with disabling the EPS.

4lugSLUG
11-02-2010, 06:40 AM
oh I know i just honestly liek the feel of no power steering. I miss it from my friends old eg and dc2. strange i know. i have no good answer for this

dirtyMETHOD
11-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Is there a way to mod it so the amount of assist is controllable? I know it cuts off above 55 mph or something but if assist was adjustable to make it a bit firmer at will would be cool. Sort of like a leveling switch for projectors but have it control the EPS

Aaron_in_MO
11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Anytime I've asked around about disabling the EPS, I get the same reply: Why would you want to?

Doesn't matter why, that's not an answer. Whether or not there will be long-term damage is what's important.

My last Civic (a '95 hatchback) had manual steering with 215/40 tires on it, and I had zero issues with steering, even when parallel parking. I'd like to disable it on the EP3, but need to know if it'll cause issues down the road.

Lucid Moments
11-13-2010, 09:43 PM
It shouldn't cause a problem. I know Chunky disabled his several years ago and he hasn't had any problems. I've been thinking about doing the same thing because it does some funny things on track. I'm going to try it my next time out and see how it goes.

Oh, and it doesn't cut off at 55mph, or at any mph that I have been able to tell.

Aaron_in_MO
11-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Great, I'd love to know the results of this.

Another idea would be to run a switch to the dash so one could re-enable it when somebody weaker (like my wife) borrows the car.

lbk02si
11-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Anytime I've asked around about disabling the EPS, I get the same reply: Why would you want to?

Doesn't matter why, that's not an answer. Whether or not there will be long-term damage is what's important.

My last Civic (a '95 hatchback) had manual steering with 215/40 tires on it, and I had zero issues with steering, even when parallel parking. I'd like to disable it on the EP3, but need to know if it'll cause issues down the road.

You get that question bc it's a weird thing to want to do! Lol!

Mine went out about 3 years ago, can't understand why anyone wouldn't want it especially considering how we have eps.

Aaron_in_MO
11-14-2010, 06:22 AM
You get that question bc it's a weird thing to want to do! Lol!

Yeah, it's a weird thing to want to do amongst normal drivers, like moms in minivans or grannies in Buicks, but car guys shouldn't think twice about it.

talonXracer
11-14-2010, 06:32 AM
I wouldnt think one time about disabling it unless it was a track ONLY car and if it is not a track car, then yes you are a ricer.

And yes I am a gearhead car guy

Aaron_in_MO
11-14-2010, 06:34 AM
I wouldnt think one time about disabling it unless it was a track ONLY car and if it is not a track car, then yes you are a ricer.

And yes I am a gearhead car guy

I'll mark that down that strong arms and a love for the feel of the road makes one a ricer. Thanks.

talonXracer
11-14-2010, 06:50 AM
LOL,,,better feel for the road, LOL, LOL, LOL, That is the best one I have heard in a long time, it is not gonna happen with our steering rack.....the steering can be improved but simply disabling the EPS is not the route to take.

The big upgrade that people are now performing is to graft in the EPS into RSX's and other swapped cars.

Aaron_in_MO
11-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Really? Then why would a track racer be more apt to do it?

Anytime you add power boost to anything, you lose the natural feel, whether steering, brakes or clutch. The bad thing about the EPS's steering is too much on-center boost, which has the negative effect of less road feel.

talonXracer
11-14-2010, 07:02 AM
The EPS is speed sensitive, there is no boost at speed. The issue for the track guys is that at lower speeds there can be a issue with the steering pump not keeping up with the demand/rate of steering and for all intensive purposes locking up.

As I said simply disabling the EPS is not the correct route, around town the steering handles like a truck without the boost.

I have driven a EP3 without the EPS(not mine) and I didnt see this additional feel or connection to the road at all, only that it was a royal pain to drive around town.

BajaPantiEP
11-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah i definitely wouldnt even consider doing this unless you take the car to the track or race it often- for the simple reason of giving you stiffer handling, Im pretty sure you can rig it electronically, to be able to turn it on/off on demand, my buddy has a- EK with a k24 pushing 270hp, and he using a eps rack from a toyota mr2, he has it setup so when he does his auto-x'ing he turns it on, you might ask why does he have it setup like that and im not sure...i just shut up, close my eyes and hold on to the OL SHIT HANDLE LOL

talonXracer
11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Also remember that the under dash structure is not intended to see the continual added stress of no steering boost.

lbk02si
11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
LOL,,,better feel for the road, LOL, LOL, LOL, That is the best one I have heard in a long time, it is not gonna happen with our steering rack.....the steering can be improved but simply disabling the EPS is not the route to take.

The big upgrade that people are now performing is to graft in the EPS into RSX's and other swapped cars.

Yea sucka foo! Take that and put it in your minivan! Lol