PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on Kumho Ecsta XS Tires

superd16girl
11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I was just wondering if any of you have used Kumho Ecsta XS Tires and would like your opinions on wet/ dry traction, mileage, and handling.
I will be using them for summer driving and maybe a track day or two.

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+XS

socmex7
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Badass dry tires. My buddy uses them on his fairlady z and he loves them. They handle extremely well in the dry, the wet is where they suffer loss of traction but that's because they're marketed as a dry tire. they heat up nice and quickly and don't suffer much fade even after a day's event. But they'll only last you about 15k if you really beat on them. and even that might be a stretch. lol.. If you're going to be really pushing your car i'd get them, if you're just gonna be commuting mostly they get kinda loud on the road as they wear (but that's with any tire with such large tread blocks for traction)

Hasbro
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Pretty much what socmex said. Single best mod I've made to the EP. Topnotch dry, none better. Not great in the wet. I have heard complaints at initial start up that they are a little slippery. I would imagine in Wisconsin that you have winter tires. I'm in the desert so all I usually deal with is dry. When it rains I'm careful - as I would be with any tire. They also don't get greasy when running hot. Do you need them for the street? Not at all but they are fun! However, I wouldn't recommend that level of tire to many people for the street. I think most people buy these and other high grip tires because they hear they are so great and rarely make use of them, nor do most people know how to drive at the tire's performance level. And to drive at their level you aren't usually at a legal speed or situation!

superd16girl
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys! The car will be only only the track 2 or 3 times next year, but I already have a second set of winter rims and tires for this car so I want a tire that will work on the track and street. Another reason is my ep is my "winter beater" so I have another car with a set of street rims/tires and a set of track rim/tires. I also race a VW through SCCA so I also pay for those tires. 5 sets of tires... is enough for me lol

I am used to driving with Bridgestone Potenzas on the track along with kumho ecstas and slicks and then nitto neogens on the street and the potenzas.

The reason I am actually looking at these is because I have a $75 check from Kumho for placing in a race and really need new summer tires for the EP next year. Can't let that go to waste!

socmex7
11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
which potenza's do you run?

superd16girl
11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Both sets I have are the REOR1's. I got them right before they moved onto the 11's.

socmex7
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
hmm.. you may feel as though the Kumho's are on par with the new re011's.. the XS' and new re011's are designed for auto-x in mind whereas the re01r's and the Direzza Star Specs are oriented for track use. differences are maily in heat diffusion capabilities in each tire as well as tread design. the asymetrical design of the XS and re011's provides the greatest surface area dedicated to tread blocks for traction left to right where the Star Specs and re01r's incorporate that center circumferential groove provides constant contact with the road for stability at both high speeds and under braking. they also make for slightly (arguable) more comfortable daily's due to this rib.
these are of course minimal differences that are arguably felt by you, the driver. just stating the differences for knowledge purposes. bottom line is that the XS' are fun tires that will be made even better with that $75 off that you're gonna get. buy with confidence! :thumbu:

superd16girl
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you very much! I will probably be ordering them tomrrow and tire rack is also giving out a $50 gift card with these tires. :) Extra extra bonus!

Hasbro
11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much! I will probably be ordering them tomrrow and tire rack is also giving out a $50 gift card with these tires. :) Extra extra bonus!

I think you'll really like them. Will you be able to use them this fall?. Getting a little chilly up there...:smow:

superd16girl
11-05-2010, 06:31 AM
I think you'll really like them. Will you be able to use them this fall?. Getting a little chilly up there...:smow:

Nope... I just don't want to waste the check that I got from Kumho.

I am actually struggling with a local tire place on getting my Blizzaks for my winter rims. Its been 2 1/2 weeks since I have started with them to get my tires. I will probably have my Kumho's before I get those...

superd16girl
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
They just came and look awesome! Can't wait to use them next year :)