PDA

View Full Version : K24a1 Build Questions

ILoveCugars
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone, use to be a huge honda fan with several ek style SiR's and now after almost 2 years of a toyota mr2 ive found myself with a 03 ep3. Its a great car and really practical with lots of room to put my bmx in and travel. But the a3 is alittle weak, not bad but not very exciting, have considered a s/c but im really a fan of n/a set ups and thier reliablity. So I have been reading qute a bit and i think a k24 swap is the way to go, i have a tacoma set up for offroad use and has a good grip on my wallet so im trying to not break the bank with this swap.

I am considering this and any imput or advice would be awsome.
K24a1 plucked from a junk yard crv
Replace the psitons with 11:1 compression after market set of slugs, probly wisco
Blox header to clear sway bar
K pro my a3 ecu
use my a3 intake mainfold and after market intake
stage 2 skunk2 cams or perhaps k20z3 cams
I know its not the usual but keep the 24 head due to the a1 having the best flow path of the k family.
Sorry if i have forgotten anything obvious.

My only other thought is to simply buy and swap a k24a2 and all the parts required to do so, this engine already being high compression and respond well to simple blot ons. Not really sure which is gunna be a better bang for the buck but from some quick math its gunna be close.

Any thoughts or comments would be awsome, Im a huge honda fan and really like these k motors and this ep3 model but Im rather new to them.
Cheers

talonXracer
11-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Put a set of TSX pistons in the A1, leave the forged slugs for a track car or a street racer, especially up north for a DD.

Or my favorite,,,,,the K24A2.

and yes the A1 head breaths well, virtually identicle to the PRB head at high lifts, but at the lower lifts usually seen with the a3 cams they do surpass the PRB head,,,but a A2 head swap will still put out far more power due to the third cam lobe.(unless you vtec killer)

ILoveCugars
11-02-2010, 08:00 PM
A couple questions:

First off stupid question but what exactly is a PRB head? Second: i have thought about the tsx pistons but what compression ratio will they give me and why are fordged psitons not a good choice for here in canada? I was considering some boost later on (probly a s/c) and was thinking fordged was a good investment from a long life point of view. And my third would be I have read that new cams give the a1 quite decent gains, however I have also considered z3 cams which are the most agressive honda cam and would be vtec killer would it not? Correct me if im wrong