PDA

View Full Version : Shift Knob Help!

1fasthb
11-03-2010, 07:21 AM
How to take the stock shift knob off? i tried to just turn it but the hole shift boot was twisting at the same time, also i tried to seach it but didnt find anything :( :mcry::mcry::mcry:

urthworm
11-03-2010, 08:06 AM
the shift boot is just stretched over the bottom part of the shift knob and wedges between the base of the knob and a plastic piece (Sorry if my help is alil off but its hard to explain) Anyhow just pull the boot off the shift knob.

Passenger
11-03-2010, 08:22 AM
pull down the boot, twist knob off

1fasthb
11-03-2010, 09:30 AM
ok thanks guys for the fast help, mocking up for a new shift knob i made at the shop :D also does anyone know the thread size the ep use's

Passenger
11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
10 x 1.5mm

Passenger
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
ok thanks guys for the fast help, mocking up for a new shift knob i made at the shop :D also does anyone know the thread size the ep use's

Post up a picture when you get down with it in the knob thread.

1fasthb
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Post up a picture when you get down with it in the knob thread.

will do it looks like the brass knuckle from passwordjdm same size and stuff and made with 100% brass so a lil heavy but looks great prolly will have some pic's by thursday up

1fasthb
11-03-2010, 09:35 PM
ok so i just got my new knob i made at work on its cool but am i supossed to take the silver ring of and use it with the knob i made or what? or just put and bunch of black tape around the shifter and then pull of the shift boot over it with out the silver ring? thanks

urthworm
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I used 2 gromets that came with my battery relocation kit (the ones to put in the fire wall after drilling a hole so i doesnt cut the battery wire) and a random bushing- looking rubber piece to rig mine.

Ill try to explain:
ok so to keep the boot from slidding down i used the one gromet to hold it up to the silver piece (its under the boot). I then put the bushing-looking one inside the silver piece to keep it in place (had to dremel it alil so it would slide over the shifter) and the second gromet is right at the base of the shift knob inside the top of the silver piece. If you figure out something similar use alil grease to slide the gromets on.. made it alot easier.

Works great and have never had a problem with it.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/vwright01/100_1756.jpg