PDA

View Full Version : Time for Snows.

Drew1d
11-05-2010, 09:03 AM
It's NY, it's November.

Still have my cheapy Kelly Snows on my OEM wheels. Still workin great.

The first year I had my EP3, the Summer tires that came with it = stuck in snow. I had to have my brother sit on the hood to get traction up a small hill. I had all-seasons triple Assurance from good year, they were ok, but had a few understeer moments in the snow.

When I got my snows, now I can drive home from work. (35 miles away) And snow can be fun in parking lots now.

Anyone else put on snows yet? Stories? Recommendations? :mwink:

Kerby
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I've driven my ep through (2) winters.... and let me just say it was an experience that I don't wanna repeat....
What am I gonna do this winter? leave it in the garage. i got me a truck!

2k3hatchie
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Put my snows on last Sunday. I've got General Altimax Arctic's mounted on my stockies that are on there 2nd season. During the first bad storm I drove through I was actually disappointed with how well they gripped. Not because they were unsafe, they're actually too safe! To have fun with you need to go really fast heh.

oneglory
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
i still have some life left on my winter's from last season. I'll check them for rot and mount them up soon.

jeenyusss
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
i have a honda fit i drove last winter here in ny with dunlop (forget the model) snow tires. it worked great, had no problems. even cruised i84 in one of the big storms with no much trouble.

superd16girl
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Waiting for my blizzaks to come in :)

oneglory
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i have the continental extreme winter contacts

RotaryGreg
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
i just got me a set of yokohama IG20s. i mounted them on the factory alloys. Got a wicked deal on them. yokohama had 2 promotions going at our dealership and they can be combined, plus i get the tires at cost. so it was a no brainer. they are awesome winter tires too. i had them on my rx8 for 2 winters and that car was great in the ice/snow.

Im planning quite a few northern excursions this year too, so thats why i went all out with the snow tires. Also waiting on rally armor mudflaps to arrive in the mail and ill be ordering some hella 500s or hella 4000 rallye lights. ill run the rally car look in the winter and ill have to see what i can come up with in the summer. haha.

winters are very hit or miss around here. either we get slammed or we get nothing. in the last 3 years we've had 2 crazy years with some serious accumulation by the end and one with virtually nothing. honestly...im hoping for a bit of snow this year. i like the snow. i enjoy dirving in it (when other cars stay off the road at least). i like playing in it, ATVing, snowboarding, etc.

talonXracer
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I just had a set of General Altimax Arctic studded arrive this morning and I took them down with the old snows to the garage to swap them over, 205/65/16

I have used the Firestone WinterForce with studs and they were great, the new General Altimax Arctic tires have 8 rows of studs per tire while the Winterforce had only 4. These along with the Quaiffe realy make winter driving loads of fun!

RotaryGreg
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I just had a set of General Altimax Arctic studded arrive this morning and I took them down with the old snows to the garage to swap them over, 205/65/16

I have used the Firestone WinterForce with studs and they were great, the new General Altimax Arctic tires have 8 rows of studs per tire while the Winterforce had only 4. These along with the Quaiffe realy make winter driving loads of fun!

so jealous. i've always wanted to try studded tires but they arent legal here

talonXracer
11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
so jealous. i've always wanted to try studded tires but they arent legal here

You can dig trenchs into the blacktop that are deep as shit....hehehehe

and they just laugh at icey roads!

What I really miss was my old Talon awd in the winter! Studded tires and big power at all 4 corners is awesome!

If you can not use studded tires then the Blizzaks are the only way to go!

ZoomBoy
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
It's gonna be like 12+ Celsius next week here in Toronto, so I'm still rolling on my summers until it dips down a bit more.

Twisted-X
11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Waiting for my blizzaks to come in :)

Loved my Blizzaks when on the last FWD I had. None of that understeer crap, just point and go.

Tougeep3
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Please tell me those of you putting snow tires on the car actually HAVE snow.. and yes I have a set of blizzacks on factory wheels sitting in the garage.

Hasbro
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
It's going to be 87 tomorrow. :peep:

LLH
11-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Please tell me those of you putting snow tires on the car actually HAVE snow.. and yes I have a set of blizzacks on factory wheels sitting in the garage.

last winter

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/95d77a22/CIMG0357.jpg
snow is fun to drive on :)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/95d77a22/CIMG0401.jpg

Then the temprature went all crazy fell down to -34c (-31F)at i lowest and stayed around there for almost a week.. it was around -20c for a month and it wasent above 0 for almost 3 months.. At those times a year its really nice to be working on building sites with concrete...

And studded tires are allowed between 1november and the first monday after easter in norway. And if you make a accident with summer tires on snow, even if its in july, you will not get all your money from the incurance company..

talonXracer
11-06-2010, 05:55 AM

No snow on the ground, but it is spitting snow every day and night for a week now, it is only a matter of time now and you do not want to be caught out in a snowstorm with a set of summer toboggan tires on the ride.

oneglory
11-06-2010, 06:05 AM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/oneglory/th_06022010_113046.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/oneglory/?action=view&current=06022010_113046.mp4)

superd16girl
11-06-2010, 08:57 AM
It's going to be 87 tomorrow. :peep:

Shut your face!

I live in Wisconsin and we get lots of snow. Last year we had a day where we got 16 inches of snow in less than 10 hours. And I go to school an hour away. There was a day there was like 2 inches of snow and it took me 3 hours just to get to school because some people drive like such jack asses. Can't wait to have blizzaks :) Just have to raise the car up and let that mugen lip eat some snow :mredface:

Twisted-X
11-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, we get lake effect snow every winter coming out of the west. No snow for weeks, then 2 feet all at once. :mrolleyes:

RotaryGreg
11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Please tell me those of you putting snow tires on the car actually HAVE snow..

"snow tires" arent just for when snow is on the ground. its for low temp as well. and this time of year in southern ontario weather is sporadic at best. people seem to think winter rated tires are made of butter or something. like if its not -30C with snow on the ground they will melt just driving on them. thats not true at all. i work with a guy who drives on them all year around and he gets about 60 000km out of a set of snows like this. im not going to go over why he does it...but im just saying they are still safe, durable tires. by the first snowfall its too late...you could have already been in a situation where the extra traction in low temp could have made the difference. I like the peace of mind.

and talonxracer, blizzaks are wicked tires, dont get me wrong. they were my second choice though. i love IG20s. they are amazing tires plus, all the canadian rally guys (not including quebec guys....they get to use studded tires) use them as their ice/mixed ice and snow tires. and im not just quoting that from a commerical. i've been to tallpines rally every year for so long now and i always walk through the service area scoping out their tires. NO ONE uses blizzaks for their ice/snow mix tires. They all run tractionized yokohama ice guards. and if you cant trust the top rally teams for tire advice, who can you trust? lol

Rasy
11-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Here in Texas we get "snow" maybe once a year. Last time it did though, we set a new record which was nearly 12 inches - the only time I was stuck in the snow in my apartment parking lot. I had summers on and did already once I got moving, but I think winter tires in this state isn't a requirement, just better drivers.

talonXracer
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I know alot of you guys that are reading this thread do require dedicated snows, but if anyone who gets out and there is that chance of a freak snowstorm stranding you somewhere, there is a product called the AutoSock, it is a temporary snow traction aid, almost as good as dedicated snow tires. http://www.autosock.us/

RotaryGreg
11-06-2010, 06:59 PM
thats pretty cool. watching their install vid has got me pretty excited for winter. canadian roads are very dull without snow IMO. Also, the chick in the intall video is easy on the eyes. haha.

talonXracer
11-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Whats a real blast is to leave the summer time toboggan tires on the rear with the studded fronts and go blitzing the snow/ice covered dirt roads, endless hours of FWD drift fun(make sure to disable the Ebrake button, hehehe)

RotaryGreg
11-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Whats a real blast is to leave the summer time toboggan tires on the rear with the studded fronts and go blitzing the snow/ice covered dirt roads, endless hours of FWD drift fun(make sure to disable the Ebrake button, hehehe)

lol. good tip. i've also seen guys put baking sheets under their rear wheels and lock the ebrake. of course only do this in a snow cover parking lot. not safe for the road at all. you've never seen a FWD car oversteer like this. haha.

LLH
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
lift off the trottle, turn the steering wheel to get the car out of balance, then power out. easy :P

another useful thing is to learn your left foot how to brake..

RotaryGreg
11-07-2010, 02:48 PM
lift off the trottle, turn the steering wheel to get the car out of balance, then power out. easy :P

another useful thing is to learn your left foot how to brake..

uh huh. not crazy about the lift off oversteer deal, but i do love me some left foot braking. I actually missed that the last 2 winters driving a RWD. I just cant wait for the snow this year.

2k3hatchie
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM

New England baby! It actually snowed a little this morning, kinda surprising this early.

talonXracer
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
snowing right now, the forcast is for 2-4 inches of snow tonight, then starting Wed it will be over 60 degrees for a week.

superd16girl
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
It was 64 in wisconsin yesterday... We even had a track day yesterday which is unusual. Last year I was at Road America in early October and it was 36 and raining/ snowing. Crazy how the weather changes.

RHDmeatwagon
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I have general altimax's on rsx-wheels. Fantastics. And not to badly priced if you get some super swamper sidewalls. I believe mine were 250 new. Iv'e had Blizzaks and winterforces as well and these are hands down my favorite.

Tougeep3
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
OK I guess you East coasters have reason to install them. Here it's still in the 50's. And we still have people coming it to get studded tires put on. There is no snow on the roads of the 2 main passes here. Just wet road..

I fully believe that temp. has more to do with when to put on snows than actual snow. I've felt when your days don't go above 50 degrees it's time to switch. Not because it'll snow soon but because of the tires' rubber compounds. Really sticky summer tires become rocks when it gets cold, whereas snow tire compounds are designed to stay pliable in colder temps..

talonXracer
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Studded tires also help out when the bridges feeze over with a glaze of black ice durig a sleet storm, or the fog from the river deposits a layer of ice on the road.

RotaryGreg
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Studded tires also help out when the bridges feeze over with a glaze of black ice durig a sleet storm, or the fog from the river deposits a layer of ice on the road.

okay okay. stop your bragging. lol

superd16girl
11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Studded tires really help for ice racing ;)

Rasy
11-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Talon, have you used the AutoSock before? I have to admit, it got my attention as a quick fix for freak storms here. The name is kind of funny.

talonXracer
11-08-2010, 09:51 PM
No I have not tried the AutoSock, but I know if I lived down where you might see a freak snowstorm these would be part of the winter time "kit". Approved by the Colorado DOT and the TUV would be enough for me to give them a try.

Drew1d
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Autosock sound interesting, waiting for a guinea pig...

Rasy
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, if I pick one up, I'll be sure to write a review!

si03
11-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I have general altimax's on rsx-wheels. Fantastics. And not to badly priced if you get some super swamper sidewalls. I believe mine were 250 new. Iv'e had Blizzaks and winterforces as well and these are hands down my favorite.

When you say general altimax's it wouldn't be the altimax arctic would it ?
I'm also looking for winter tires and have read some good reviews on the blizzaks, but still open for suggestions.
At first i was looking for all seasons but now definetely winter tires.

kwiksi
11-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I still have my bling wheels and shoes on. Weather has been mild here. Will put the Hankook I Pikes/steelies on here in a few days.

superd16girl
11-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Just got done raising my car up and putting the winter rims and tires on :( My winter beater actually looks like a winter beater now.